Considering Getting a Fallout Game, Need Some Advice

#1HERO331Posted 1/22/2013 10:08:02 PM
Hey guys,
As the title says, I am considering joining the Fallout series. I am primarily a Battlefield/COD player, but I really enjoyed Skyrim, and am wanting to try out a similar game. I have heard a lot of good things about Fallout, but I can't decide whether to try New Vegas or Fallout 3. I know that Fallout 3 was better reviewed, but I'd like some other opinions. Thanks for the help.
#2JC_PhoenixPosted 1/23/2013 1:12:12 AM(edited)
Try checking the other comparison topics, just try to take the troll comments with a grain of salt. Eventually this topic will probably become a big arguing ground anyway:
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/959559-fallout-new-vegas/64880538
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/959559-fallout-new-vegas/64594454

Both games have similar shooting elements if that's what matters. In general the usual thoughts are:
Nv better story/factions
Both games were buggy at release, perhaps more so for Nv

Some complain Nv wasn't set in an area not ravaged by nukes others argue that Fallout 3 looks like nukes fell just yesterday, not 200+ years ago

Fallout 3 allowed more free roam in beginning due to enemies leveling with you while Nv was a bit more challenging and immersive yet a little railroaded in the beginning because enemies don't level up with you as much.

NV had better written characters and more interesting questing gameplay, but fallout 3 had more zany locations and off the wall characters and quests.

Uhhhh, what else guys?
---
"You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals"-Morpheus
#3Metal Gear FredPosted 1/23/2013 2:26:40 AM
I've spent about 150 hours over two playthroughs on Fallout 3, and about 10 hours on my first playthrough of New Vegas so far.

I think they're both truly excellent games, but at the moment I very much prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.

I'd recommend them both, but start with Fallout 3.
---
"If you're going to air your dirty laundry in public, don't be surprised when people comment on your skidmarks!"
#4xanthan1Posted 1/23/2013 5:30:18 AM
New Vegas, 3 was a decent game but horrid fallout game that just ripped crap from the other games with no rhyme or reason. Also Little Lamplight, the stupidest town in any game, ever.
#5HERO331(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 11:01:27 AM
Alright. Thanks for the input. I'll check out the comparison threads.
#6AdrenasPosted 1/24/2013 3:40:40 PM
Metal Gear Fred posted...
I've spent about 150 hours over two playthroughs on Fallout 3, and about 10 hours on my first playthrough of New Vegas so far.

I think they're both truly excellent games, but at the moment I very much prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas.

I'd recommend them both, but start with Fallout 3.

^This. They're both great, i've spent a lot of time in both games and personally prefer Fallout 3 (and i'm a fan from the first installment onward, heck I played wasteland if you want to count it) but others have different opinions. I suggest getting them both during the next Steam sale. I've seen Fallout:NV Ultimate edition as low as $9.99, but it only went down to $19.99 during this last one. Fallout 3 GOTY edition gets down to like 5 or 10 bucks during sales too. If you don't mind games with now dated graphics then i'd even suggest picking up the Fallout combo pack with Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics/Brotherhood of Steel.
---
I used to be an internet troll like you, but then I took an arrow in my immaturity.
#7luckiest_strikePosted 1/24/2013 7:01:14 PM
New Vegas. Then try it out with the Wacky options on for kicks.

I love the exploration aspect of these games. Though a lot of bugs have been plaguing the game ever since.
#8KharilllePosted 1/24/2013 9:21:45 PM
Start with fallout 2. FO3 is good but in NV you'll see more in the way of personal standing with different factions. It takes FO3 and makes it slightly better.

I tend to find a few bugs except in certain locations In those areas it just crashes under certain circumstances such as getting a new quest whilst standing in the boomers territory. I make a point of quick saving as well as usual saving since my game might not reload.
#9Metal Gear FredPosted 1/25/2013 3:27:21 PM
I've been playing New Vegas quite a bit since my last post. While I do enjoy the assortment of weaponry, I'm starting to find the game a bit boring.

A big reason why I liked Fallout 3 so much was the random exploration. Mooching around the Capital Wasteland and stumbling onto raider camps, scavengers and the like. With New Vegas there doesn't seem to be as much of that. Just vast open areas of nothing, or a couple of Bloatflies.

I'd still recommend the game. I think I just need a break from it, which is something I didn't need with Fallout 3.
---
"If you're going to air your dirty laundry in public, don't be surprised when people comment on your skidmarks!"
#10D4rkne55Posted 1/25/2013 3:31:49 PM
One nice thing about New Vegas is that they went back to having an ending that showed the main character's affect on the different settlements that they encountered during their travels. It actually made you feel like you had a personal impact on the Mojave.
---
reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one
--Albert Einstein-- D2/USE/L/ingeraskurai