This game begs to be played in the original Fallout engine

#1G-NsericoPosted 2/24/2013 2:27:49 PM
or any other game engine that uses isometric perspective and turn-based combat.

I truly feel that the gameplay of this game is very bad, the combat is very clumsy and it feels strange to be playing a Fallout game in first person view, it just does not fit.

I mean, imagine this game using the original Fallout engine for a second, to me, it would make much more sense.
#2red255Posted 2/24/2013 5:54:33 PM
lol
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#3Resident_HillPosted 2/24/2013 6:40:45 PM
I mean, imagine this game using the original Fallout engine for a second, to me, it would make much more sense.

Sure, if it was still 1995. The original Fallouts were great for the time, but as far as an environment to explore, this newfangled First Person perspective fits much better.

Just imagine what the original fallouts would look like if they converted it to the new style.
---
Those who desire peace, prepare for war.
#4G-Nserico(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 7:50:27 PM
Resident_Hill posted...

Sure, if it was still 1995. The original Fallouts were great for the time, but as far as an environment to explore, this newfangled First Person perspective fits much better.

Just imagine what the original fallouts would look like if they converted it to the new style.

As far as I'm concerned, the highlight of the first games was not the exploration, they were the dialogues, the story and the ability to solve problems in different ways.

Yes, you could certainly get to walk around the map if you wanted, but that was quite dangerous (especially in the first game, with that of the time limit), and random encounters could get quite brutal, forcing you to run away from them.

The idea was always to go from town to town, talking to some, killing some others, solve some problem and then go on your way to the next town, without deviating too far from your path.

Another aspect that bothers me is the new Fallout combat system. I'm not a fan of FPS, in fact I hate them, that's why I liked the games more when the combat was more tactical. In that sense, the isometric view and turn-based combat, plus the SPECIAL system, were the perfect formula for a fantastic tactical game.

It has nothing to do with nostalgia or live in the past, is simply a system that I like better than the other one.
#5SandFishPosted 2/25/2013 3:27:20 AM
There are other games like that. This is good as it is... with mods.
---
You are selfish, an idle fish.
#6SpawnShadowPosted 2/25/2013 6:08:30 AM
Fallout 1 and 2 beg to be played in the Skyrim engine.
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours on end? See quote for details!
#7KharilllePosted 2/25/2013 6:15:05 AM
Hm... Maybe some later fallout will be played with a 3d holographic interface, like what they have in the ironman movie....

We'll look at the damned kids envious of their amazing gaming reflexes and all....
#8red255Posted 2/25/2013 7:26:22 AM
I liked when Ironman got to the shield Computers and was like 'how do you see everything, and he was like, we turn our heads.

anyways from my earlier lol, you can be assured that I'm not taking TC seriously, but since he humored me, I'll humor him.

what part of the original fallout engine do you like exactly?

the turned based combat? Or the hiding things behind buildings and a non-rotatable camera to get people to buy the expansion where you can highlight lootables.

I know Fallout never had such an expansion but BG2 did. which was also isometric view but possibly better designed since the combat doesn't FEEL as turned based.

also wasteland 2 will be isometric. and contemporary if you want a contemporary fallout game in isometric.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#9jonas66Posted 2/25/2013 10:27:01 AM
Games should never have moved past 2-D sidescroll action. The Nintendo 64 ruined gaming forever.
---
How much of rational behavior is only rational when rationalized?
#10G-Nserico(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 8:51:51 PM
Have any of you seen gameplay videos of the upcoming Wasteland 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU

This is how Fallout New Vegas should have seen and played, this is what I mean.

The game looks quite modern, don't you think?.