New Vegas crashing almost nonstop during 'Old World Blues" now.

#1Quad9damagePosted 3/23/2013 1:59:38 PM
I need help! Previously, NV would crash maybe once every now and then. But ever since I started doing the quests at Big Mountain, it's started crashing back to the desktop more and more frequently.

It happens almost exclusively when going through loading screens - either when walking through doors or fast-traveling. I've gotten in the habit of saving before every door or fast traveling now out of fear that the game will crash, and I'm usually right!

Here's some stuff that might be helpful:

I've got a run-time of around 67 hours on the clock. My character's level 37. I have the Nexus mod app installed and one mod implanted in the game (some sexy outfits for my gal.) I'm running NV on a quad core machine with 8 GB RAM.

Recently my friend and I transplanted the hard drive (which already had a legit Windows 7, along with my Steam client and Fallout:NV already installed) into a different tower, along with an upgraded video card (GeForce GTX 460, a step up from a GTX 260). I've also got an older Creative Labs sound card in this box but with a generic Kx sound driver. I have a surround sound system hooked to the desktop as well. I transferred my New Vegas save file from my notebook when I started using the desktop. I've been running the performance settings on ultra-high.

Here's the thing, though: we did all that transplanting a week ago, when I was in the middle of playing through "Honest Hearts," and I had NO problems whatsoever with New Vegas throughout this past week. This frequent crashing didn't start happening until last night, when I started heavily playing Old World Blues. NV crashed twice last night, and this afternoon it just keeps getting worse, happening over and over again.

So what should I do? Are there some technical remedies I could look into, or is Old World Blues just a buggy ol' mess?
#2PoorBoyTPosted 3/23/2013 3:04:04 PM
Are you pressing any keys while its loading? sometimes that can cause it to crash
#3Quad9damage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 4:28:01 PM
Nope, not that I'm aware of. Just a quick tap of 'E' to open a door and then taking my chances.
#4Quad9damage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 5:34:44 PM
Do save files break the PC version as they get larger, like they do on consoles?

Problem's getting worse.
#5PoorBoyTPosted 3/23/2013 8:55:05 PM
Do you have a save file before OWB? And did you try to remove the mods and then try put them back one by one as you play OWB?
#6Quad9damage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 5:03:01 AM
Nah, my latest backup's after entering OWB.

Last night, I removed the mod from the game and started NV up again. I got an annoying message saying "an object is missing from your save file" that kept popping up whenever I'd load/reload, but the crashing has stopped...for now at least. I guess I can put the mod back in after OWB is over since my plan is to try and do everything there is to do in the DLC anyway. Or is there a way to purify a save file so the game's not looking for a mod anymore?
#7red255Posted 3/24/2013 5:32:29 AM
just save and load without the mod on there.

it shouldn't look for it anymore.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#8draconkPosted 3/24/2013 5:21:58 PM
that crash is quite common and easy to fix you just need to disable auto save and its done if you want more stability download mission mojave (bugfix), casm (for auto save that doesn't make crashes) and fake fullscreen (by some reason playing fullscreen makes the game crash more often) all of them are on the nexus

and also you might want to download new vegas script extender to use more ram here is the link http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35262
#9red255Posted 3/24/2013 5:47:25 PM
....Do you honestly think anyone is stupid enough to take the advice of 'disable the autosave'?

scale of 1-10 here who is your target troll victim? the 5 year olds who shouldn't be playing this game because of the mature rating or senile pensioners who don't understand how computers work?

I suppose since Fallout is such an old series theres more of them with this game.

but if you are going to scam the elderly, try to get some money or something out of it.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#10draconkPosted 3/24/2013 6:11:35 PM
red255 posted...
....Do you honestly think anyone is stupid enough to take the advice of 'disable the autosave'?

scale of 1-10 here who is your target troll victim? the 5 year olds who shouldn't be playing this game because of the mature rating or senile pensioners who don't understand how computers work?

I suppose since Fallout is such an old series theres more of them with this game.

but if you are going to scam the elderly, try to get some money or something out of it.

I'm sorry but I'm not trolling the autosave makes the game crash on loadscreens and if you install CASM it makes autosaves every X min and don't crashes at all