Would it be possible to mod the music?

#1mrscree444Posted 5/25/2009 9:26:46 AM
I'm talking about putting in different songs instead of the generimetal. Can you replace music files in Killing Floor? I've heard a lot of mods don't work with the UT Engine becuase the makers are hacker-paranoid, does that extend to music files?
---
"Wow, I'm suprised I didn't get a negative response... GameFAQs is the place to put your ideas up and find out what's wrong with them." -Ampedcam
#2Blaaguuu2Posted 5/25/2009 11:37:33 AM
The music files are simply .ogg files sitting in the killing floor directories. You could replace them, and it should work fine... And I doubt it would effect you being able to play online.
#3MikeGnzPosted 5/25/2009 12:58:53 PM
Servers don't use music, as far as I can see. You should be fine changing the music.

Actually, here's a question for those who know: Does Killing Floor use only the music prefixed with KF, or does it use all of the music?
---
Tails > Everything. Undisputed fact.
http://lueradio.kyrosiris.com:8004/ - LUE Radio, The Gnz VGM Show, Thursdays, 3-6 PM EST.
#4maoricPosted 5/25/2009 1:01:32 PM
Someone already made an orchestral music replacement on the Steam forums. All you need to do is get a bunch of .ogg files and name them the same as the defaults.

---
Go to synaesthesia.
~Rez
#5BDSMPosted 5/25/2009 2:22:43 PM
I lie to sing into my mic so everyone can enjoy my unique musical stylings.

---
BIBLE BLACK: Giving new meaning to GameFAQ's "Box Shot" section.
www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/image/578184.html?box=80714
#6MyopicCanadianPosted 5/26/2009 9:05:14 AM

Just curious.. what's the benefit of "modding" it over turning off the music and opening up your music program of choice? I liked the industrial metal thing at first, now I'm sick of it, but I'm sure whatever I replaced it with I would get sick of as well.

#7mrscree444(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2009 2:24:17 PM
One more question: how would I edit the files? I know my replacements have to be the same file type and name and in the same location, but do they have to be the same size/length? I tried editing sounds for a few source games and it didn't work at all since the files weren't the right length.
---
"Wow, I'm suprised I didn't get a negative response... GameFAQs is the place to put your ideas up and find out what's wrong with them." -Ampedcam
#8EmraldoPosted 5/28/2009 4:40:13 PM

MyopicCanadian posted...
Just curious.. what's the benefit of "modding" it over turning off the music and opening up your music program of choice?

This.

#9mrscree444(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2009 5:03:43 PM
MyopicCanadian wrote:
Just curious.. what's the benefit of "modding" it over turning off the music and opening up your music program of choice?

This.

1. That would make my comp lag. KF+iTunes in the background=ARGH.
2. No control over song selection aside from playlists, etc, so it's not that great. I could alt-tab to it, but that would cause ungodly lag and get me killed.
3. Volume mismatching.
---
#10Guardian of HyrulePosted 5/28/2009 6:44:26 PM
1. That would make my comp lag. KF+iTunes in the background=ARGH.
2. No control over song selection aside from playlists, etc, so it's not that great. I could alt-tab to it, but that would cause ungodly lag and get me killed.
3. Volume mismatching.

This. Even the most basic music players can cause some serious lag or, worse, start fighting over the sound card, making your SFX and Music both play garbled. With a game as sound-intensive as this, you really don't want to try letting another program pester your sound card at the same time, especially since most PCs these days have that crappy 'Integrated Audio' anyway.

Replacing the files is interesting, though. It works. Just make sure you back up the files in case you need to replace them. So far, you won't, but you never know...some servers might be extra-paranoid and even check sound files.

I wish the devs would add an in-game music manager with customizable playlists. It'd be an easy feature to add and it'd make the game more customizable. But the metal playing while you headshot clots is something that gives the game it's "Feel".
---
We can all learn something from the Legend of Zelda and it's triforce, Power is nothing without the courage and wisdom to make use of it it...