Any performance tweaks?

#1mercuryblade09Posted 1/22/2010 5:51:28 PM
My specs are: Intel Celeron 900 at 2.2GHz, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 2GB RAM.

Now as of now I run this game at:
1280x800
Character, World, and Texture Detail at Normal.
No AA or AF.
The other three settings are at low.
HDR Bloom, Motion Blur, Trilinear Filtering, Foliage, and Weather Effects are off.

I get a steady 20-30 FPS unless a flashlight goes on. That's what leads me to asking if there is anything else I could alter to get a better Frame Rate during those times when a flashlight is on. I've tried turning off Dynamic Lighting but that doesn't change anything, except for maybe a 1-2 FPS boost. Are there any tweaks I can make to fix this?

My other problem is sequential map loading. What I mean is that after I finish one map, the game always freezes loading the map and eventually crashes. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can't upgrade this computer so please don't recommend it.

So as the title says, are there any tweaks I can make to fix these issues and overall improve my performance?
---
PSN, Steam - mercuryblade09
It doesn't matter how you enjoy games, stop bragging about your method.
#2Kokuei05Posted 1/22/2010 6:34:33 PM
lower resolution
---
Playing: The Saboteur, CS 1.6, Plants VS Zombies, O2Jam.
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6829/funnyyoutubecommentsjq0.jpg
#3mercuryblade09(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2010 7:37:32 PM
I don't know why, but performance does not go up with decreases revolution. When I lower the resolution to anything but a Windowed 800x600, performance starts to be variable in a bad way going anywhere from 5-60 FPS regardless of other graphics settings. I have yet to figure out why this "graphics card" performs like it does.
---
#4mercuryblade09(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2010 7:44:37 PM
And sorry for double post, but that does nothing when it comes to flashlights or the loading problem. The max FPS I ever get regardless of settings is 40 FPS. I'm just wondering if there's any way to stop the game from taking a performance hit whenever a flashlight comes into play, and why the game crashes every time it tries to load the next map on a list.
---
#5AfoxiPosted 1/23/2010 9:45:57 AM
My other problem is sequential map loading. What I mean is that after I finish one map, the game always freezes loading the map and eventually crashes. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can't upgrade this computer so please don't recommend it.

Spam F10 (to disconnect) at the end of a game just before map change. Bring down console and type:
reconnect

Case not sensitive.

As for other performance tweaks, these two fixes decrease loading times. The second one does so at the cost of you freezing for about 3-4 seconds at the start of your first round, but massively decreases your load time.

Find your KillingFloor.ini file in steam/steamapps/common/KillingFloor/system

First Fix:
Change the cache size to better match your ram size
Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
CacheSizeMegs=256

NEVER make CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256mb, as that will crash the game a lot.

Second Fix:

under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False
and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true
and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False
and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]

One or the other is usually enough, but feel free to do both since the second (in theory) should override the first fix anyway.

You still have to disconnect and reconnect when the server is changing maps though, but good news is that you'll load faster than ever.
---
PSZero FC - 4898 6056 3116
Relicnews 2009 Yearbook! - http://relicnews.com/yearbook/2009/PICS/
#6mercuryblade09(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2010 1:18:54 PM
Thank you. I just looked at my .ini file to find that it hadn't saved the last time I tried to up the CacheSizeMegs section of the .ini.
---