mission question: cooling tower / improved detector

#1wizzlepigPosted 2/11/2010 12:15:58 PM

OK, it's not made abundantly clear in the game,

Owl sends you on a mission to get three veles detectors and take them to the scientists.

The scientists send you on a mission to investigate an anomoly using an 'improved detector'.

I have not completed either mission yet.

If I follow the discussions I have seen so far, I have to take the three veles detectors to the scientists and finish Owl's mission in order for them to give me the improved detector? Even though they already gave me the mission, and, as far as I could tell, gave me the detector (it's not in my inventory, is why I am wondering what is going on).

#2Lazarus957Posted 2/11/2010 2:01:20 PM

Based on other posts on this issue, this mission has more than one way of playing out. I've read with the 3 detector part of the quest you have to take those back to the scientist and wait wait wait for him to give you the improved detector. My own experience is I got the cooling tower quest, never got the option of a 3 detector quest from owl, but was able to trade with Herman for an improved detector and finish the mission.

#3wizzlepig(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2010 5:14:37 PM

aah, ok. cool. thanks for the info! Hopefully it will all work itself out.

#4Grampy_BonePosted 2/11/2010 6:15:14 PM
Here's what I did:

1. Owl asked me to find three veles scanners and bring them to Scientists
2. I took the 3 scanners to Yanov and the scientists told me to go back to Owl.
3. I talked to Owl and he mentioned he needed to wait for the new scanners.
4. As soon as I left the boat Owl called me and told me to talk to him. When I did he told me to talk to Beard.
(apparently the scanners were for a group of stalkers who would find artifacts for Owl & Beard)
5. I talked to Beard and he gave me the Svarog scanner and told me to talk to Owl again.
(this leads into the Compass artifact mission)
6. With the Svarog scanner you simply approach the marked area near the cooling towers and the quest will... err... resolve itself.

I'm not sure if I missed a step or not, but I can guarantee you do not have to wait weeks or months like some people are saying. Try talking to everyone involved, exiting and re-entering the safe areas, etc.

---
"If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious!" ~ Travis Touchdown, No More Heroes
#5dnd22Posted 2/11/2010 6:19:10 PM
My own experience is I got the cooling tower quest, never got the option of a 3 detector quest from owl, but was able to trade with Herman for an improved detector and finish the mission.

This happened for me as well, IIRC.

---
Call of Duty Modern Shot-in-the-Back 2