Player Growth Question

#1dedfishmysteryPosted 10/19/2009 9:54:33 PM
I'm trying to get my be a pro player better at not falling over from checks especially without the puck in front of the net. What stats should I upgrade? I'm thinking that balance is important, but I'm not sure. Side question, what is toughness for exactly?
#2tacohashiPosted 10/19/2009 9:57:22 PM
Toughness is for fighting

Balance affects your resistance to checking
Puck control affects how easily you are stick lifted/poked etc.

Both are awesome.
---
XBL: Original RedBox
#3dedfishmystery(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2009 10:11:26 PM
So it sounds like unless you're a fighter toughness is worthless. I gotta say putting all your athletic points into speed is pretty good if you're looking for breakaways without cherry picking.
#4geno21Posted 10/19/2009 10:14:30 PM
The speed stats are a great investment. The way I play, I have the "attribute effect" slider maxed out so high attribute really make a big difference. My skater now with his boosts has mid 90's in all of the speed stats and if I get a pass skating up ice I'm sprung and there are probably 2 defenders in the whole league that can actually catch me without diving which usually gives a penalty shot.
---
Unintentionally following in the footsteps of The_Great_Geno
#5tacohashiPosted 10/19/2009 10:20:06 PM
In my experience, Acceleration is exponentially more valuable than Speed, until you are at a point where you can have 99 Speed and half decent Acceleration, I wouldn't pour too much into it.
---
#6dedfishmystery(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2009 10:26:10 PM
What is the overall rating of your players? My guy is only a 77, but he is fast and can put the puck in the corners. Acceleration is nice, but being able to get to top speed quickly when your top speed is low doesn't seem that great to me. I suppose you need a balance of both.
#7dedfishmystery(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2009 10:34:05 PM
Another question, what is discipline good for? Does it lower the chance of penalties for poke checks and stick lifts?
#8tacohashiPosted 10/19/2009 10:49:21 PM
Actually no, a LOT of attributes actually affect your COMPUTER players, stupid but true.

Discipline means your CPU guys will take less penalties, you will still be cracking people in the face if you don't have the timing down.

I also didn't mean pour EVERYTHING into acceleration, I just mean that I see a much bigger difference in one point of acceleration than I do in speed.

The thing is, people ALWAYS think about speed, very few would trade it for acceleration or agility, but I think they are wrong, imagine this:

Guy goes flying towards you, tries to check, but you have such smooth skating, you skate just a bit to the side, he flies right by you, not only that, but because you can get up to speed again, the time it takes for him to stop and start skating again means you can make it to the other end of the ice without being in poke check range.

It also helps for a lot more than that. Ever have the puck in your zone, then your teammate makes a great interception? You were just skating to help defend, and now the tables are turned, you have to STOP before you can change direction, if you get ahead first, you have a breakaway. What are they going to do? Dive and risk a trip, or hope to catch up in time to stick lift or poke? They won't have the chance.

The way I see it, NHL's athletics system is like a racing game with ONE LAP.

If you take all speed in a racing game, you have two disadvantages.

1. Start of the race everyone will be FLYING by you
2. Make a bad turn or hit something, and it will be a good 10 seconds before you can even catch up to a speed that will overtake anyone.

I see this the same way in NHL, but replace number 1 with a pass they aren't prepared for, and replace number 2 with them having to change direction at any given time.
---
#9dedfishmystery(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2009 10:59:58 PM
You are totally right on acceleration. I was just thinking about a race from the opposite blue line towards the goal you are shooting at with a defenseman which rarely happens. Most of the time it is a a quick race to the puck or a sudden change in direction where I could see agility playing a big role.

Just to make it clear, discipline makes it less likely for your teammates to get a penalty? How dumb is that? When you think about it, certain players in the NHL are much better at knocking the puck loose without a penalty than others are so I figured discipline would kind of make that a factor. I guess not. Still, this game is about as close to actual hockey as you can get.
#10tacohashiPosted 10/20/2009 7:29:59 PM
You shouldn't really disregard those CPU modifiers though, for example, checking doesn't make a big difference point for point for you, but your computers will be knocking people all over the place, definitely a plus if you are the type to be very offensive but rely on your D to stop them from trying one timers and wraparounds.

Simply put, there aren't exactly any really useless attributes for skaters, but damn, do goalie's get a lot of horrible ones.

For example, rebound control means the puck won't bounce as far away, considering the hardest part of being goalie is stopping rebounds, wouldn't you want it to bounce as far away as possible? Not right in front of you so it gets poked in before you can cover it?

Or poke check, does nothing for you, but makes your CPU goalie poke check more, I can't count the amount of times I have deked and waited for the goalie to try a poke check, and I just wrist it in.

If you want any goalie attribute advice, Five hole, Stick Low, Glove Low and Agility (which pumps up reaction time for gloves and blocker saves, gotta love it). People rarely shoot high, and when they do, it is damn easy to save if you have decent positioning, shutting them down on anything low is the key to success That's not to say you should ignore the high attributes, but as far as overall point for point worth, I gotta go with those.

---