This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question regarding the transfer of Pokemon between Gold/Silver to Ruby/Sapphire

#1ereadfanPosted 3/8/2010 5:23:28 PM
Yes, I understand that the GBC versions of Gold and Silver are in no way able to connect with the GBA versions of Ruby and Sapphire. Me and my brother were just in a debate about WHY this wasn't able to happen. He said that the ONLY reason that Gold and Silver were incompatible with Ruby and Sapphire were because of the updated engine regarding EVs, IVs, etc.

Now I do understand this, but there is also no way for the GBC to communicate with the GBA, unlike the DS to GBA, which is easily able to connect to one another because of the Nintendo DS's hardware and software. The DS was made with the intent to interact with GBA games, this feature being used in a multiple of games (WarioWare, Pokemon, etc.). There is no possible way for the GBC hardware to interact with the GBA hardware, correct? Meaning I am indeed right, right? Because if there were a way, then the Pokemon that could have been transfered could have just transfered the data of what the Pokemon was, its level, and its moves, and then randomly generate the rest as a workaround.

So could someone please give a little insight to this flaming debate?
---
AC:WW Destroyer = ACFan2006 - NOT ME! | RB2 ID: Nitho92 | AC:CF - 0345-3069-1783 - Nick @ Gladwin
#2Jeffmaz2001Posted 3/8/2010 5:26:28 PM
You know about Pal Park? If you can take Pokemon from GBA to DS game, in theory, it would be possible to put them back. The limitation is written into the code, they did not want Pokemon going back to GBA games for some reason.
#3CrystalorbiePosted 3/8/2010 5:28:18 PM
Hmm... I'm not so sure...

I don't have it with me, but I'm fairly certain my mom has a massive link cable designed to link between GB, GBC, and GBA systems, though this was mostly used for the older pokemon games being played on my GBA and their GBCs... at least until they got GBAs...

Whether or not the EV/IV system was changed being the only reason is still up for debate though, simply because I don't know if the games themselves could possibly be compatible... with so many things introduced in the 3rd gen...
---
Try to make sense of the above post.
Go on, I'll wait... maybe.
#4guurakPosted 3/8/2010 5:30:26 PM

<div class="msg_body">Hmm... I'm not so sure...

I don't have it with me, but I'm fairly certain my mom has a massive link cable designed to link between GB, GBC, and GBA systems, though this was mostly used for the older pokemon games being played on my GBA and their GBCs... at least until they got GBAs...

Whether or not the EV/IV system was changed being the only reason is still up for debate though, simply because I don't know if the games themselves could possibly be compatible... with so many things introduced in the 3rd gen...

But couldn't they have coded something that looked at a Pokemon's stats and determined what nature it would have, ect.?
---
Pokemon Platinum- FC: 416820463220 Name: ROBOT 7
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 180617406108 Name: Gold
#5CrystalorbiePosted 3/8/2010 5:37:01 PM
Yes, which is why I'm thinking the games, for whatever reason, either couldn't communicate, they didn't want to bother with all the recalculations (for EVs I would have just cut them in half... but that would probably have surprised many players, as well as forcing Gamefreak to admit such things exist, as I believe they were/are trying to avoid saying it specifically) or the most likely being they just didn't think of it at the time.

I know they had it between gens 1 and 2, but maybe they thought at the time that it wasn't possible to make them communicate.
---
Try to make sense of the above post.
Go on, I'll wait... maybe.
#6PurimPopoiePosted 3/8/2010 5:37:26 PM
They could have done these things, but it would have been complicated.

THere's a voltage difference between the GBA and the GBC. Even if both games were played on the same system, the GBA Hardware would run it in GBC mode, which is effectly the same as a actual GBC as far as voltage, etc is concerned.

There's also the change in Data Transfer, as RS started moving data at the same time, where as GBC games could only move one Pokemon at a time to the opposite game.

All that said, the possibility exists that using the GBA's bootable memory and such, they could have included a feature that allows the Generation II Pokemon to be transfered forward. But if they did, they wouldn't have been able to make any changes to the data structure. And they decided that it would be better to reboot the franchise with RSE than it would be to get GSC games to be able to transfer things forward.
---
"You need to remember, not everyone on the Internet thinks like you." Serebii of Serebii.net
#7Shadowater68Posted 3/8/2010 5:39:17 PM
Actually, I would say that the real reason is because it wasn't worth the effort

They would have to figure out how to get past the instant communication part, which, while presumably possible, would likely be difficult (I'm betting a peripheral would be required). Also, they would have to figure out how the IVs would be read (doubled? Randomized? etc.), how natures would be figured out, how a Pokemon would retain its shininess, how to decide ability, how to get it to keep gender, how to handle the EVs...

Yeah, too much work for too little reward, in their eyes

I would say make the IVs double, then subtract one if the result is 32, have it read the old IVs and apply that to the gender and shininess values, and if the Pokemon is above level 95, lower it to level 95 and remove all EVs on it. However, I don't know how hard that would be to program
---
Petition to add the General Pokemon Board to Pokemon Game Split Boards:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=52997926
#8PurimPopoiePosted 3/8/2010 5:41:57 PM

Actually, I would say that the real reason is because it wasn't worth the effort

They would have to figure out how to get past the instant communication part, which, while presumably possible, would likely be difficult (I'm betting a peripheral would be required). Also, they would have to figure out how the IVs would be read (doubled? Randomized? etc.), how natures would be figured out, how a Pokemon would retain its shininess, how to decide ability, how to get it to keep gender, how to handle the EVs...

Yeah, too much work for too little reward, in their eyes

I would say make the IVs double, then subtract one if the result is 32, have it read the old IVs and apply that to the gender and shininess values, and if the Pokemon is above level 95, lower it to level 95 and remove all EVs on it. However, I don't know how hard that would be to program

It wouldn't require any more peripheral than a Ruby/Sapphire version game that has the hypothetical GBC Boot Program on it to transfer over the link cable (similar to the GBA's touted "Single-Pak Multiplayer, as well as how Pokemon Colosseum worked). However, basically everything else is spot on. Too much effort for too little a reward.
---
"You need to remember, not everyone on the Internet thinks like you." Serebii of Serebii.net
#9lilCordobaPosted 3/8/2010 5:51:59 PM
sorry but it is possible, you remember the cables you can get to trade, well they made some where you can connect from GBC to GBA, so you can trade between GBC to GBA
#10PurimPopoiePosted 3/8/2010 5:57:41 PM

sorry but it is possible, you remember the cables you can get to trade, well they made some where you can connect from GBC to GBA, so you can trade between GBC to GBA

It's not possible, and the cable isn't even the biggest hurdle that you'd have to jump.
---