This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I connect my Nintendo DS to HG/SS wi-fi?

#1OrmEmbarPosted 3/30/2010 8:36:25 AM
I tried searching for an access point (I have wireless broadband) and it said "the access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS"

What does this mean?
---
I totally understand the game, Theodore! Barney, split your tiles. You can triple your money if you find the jellybean.
-Marshall Eriksen
#2PizzusPosted 3/30/2010 8:38:05 AM
It means that the access point is encrypted with a stronger encryption than WEP. Change the router settings, if possible.
---
Pokemon Diamond Version: 2706 8992 9335
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 5413 1491 5440
#3VampLordAdamaruPosted 3/30/2010 8:39:17 AM
The only kinds of Wi-Fi the DS and DSL can access are WEP encryption or unencrypted. If it is WPA or above, it cannot use them.

The DSi and DSXL are able to use up to WPA, but HG/SS do not recognize those encryptions, so even if you use HG/SS with a DSi or DSXL, it will still not work. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

Unless the game AND the system BOTH can recognize and use WPA encryption, you are SOL. And in this case: You're SOL.

You will have to find a public, unencrypted Wi-Fi connection. McDonalds and Barnes & Noble might work, but I'm not sure.
---
Sarcasm: Because even when it fails to hit home, it still makes the target look stupid.-Lucis_Ferre
(Founder - IRDC) Waiting for KH:BBS, FF vs. XIII
#4Aoshi916Posted 3/30/2010 8:41:12 AM
if you have wireless broadband, you'd have to change it's router settings through the computer to WEP security - something like that >_> - then go to your DS, input the WEP key and connect (it's in the menu screen, scroll down to find it)

to get the WEP key, when you changed the settings on your computer, it should give you a list of numbers and letters for you to use, put in one of those and you're set.
---
I know, what you should do next time you see one is slap it across the face with your man parts. - Cyrus Maragrave on Beldum
Platinum FC Aoshi - 1591 3095 1479
#5OrmEmbar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2010 8:50:55 AM
I'm sorry but this is entirely confusing to me. I have no idea what a WEP key or any of this is. How do I do this thing on an Apple Macintosh, anyone know that?
---
I totally understand the game, Theodore! Barney, split your tiles. You can triple your money if you find the jellybean.
-Marshall Eriksen
#6VampLordAdamaruPosted 3/30/2010 8:55:26 AM
I'm sorry but this is entirely confusing to me. I have no idea what a WEP key or any of this is. How do I do this thing on an Apple Macintosh, anyone know that?

There's part of your issue there... >.>

Also, the WEP key is tied to your wireless router. If you don't have one, you're screwed.

If you don't understand what we are talking about, you are going to have to find a public, open Wi-Fi hotspot. Go to Nintendo.com and use their "Find a Hotspot" feature.
---
Sarcasm: Because even when it fails to hit home, it still makes the target look stupid.-Lucis_Ferre
#7HardcoreFtwPosted 3/30/2010 8:56:06 AM
What type of modem you have?
---
Zelda Link to the past, Pokemon blue, Zelda OTT(<Doh!), FF9 and FF10 are the only games i played 8+ times.. My 10/10 list.. Next will be Heavy Rain
#8HardcoreFtwPosted 3/30/2010 9:00:51 AM
To find out what modem you got try

http://portforward.com/

It has the basic..

Once you got the hang of that.. Some modems not sure all but some.. can change WPA into WEP

Your WIfi connection will also need to be changed too or you'll offline until you do.. It not recommended unless you know what you're doing.. sorry for my english.
---
Zelda Link to the past, Pokemon blue, Zelda OTT(<Doh!), FF9 and FF10 are the only games i played 8+ times.. My 10/10 list.. Next will be Heavy Rain
#9OrmEmbar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2010 10:40:48 AM
If I buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, do I need to change the setting from WPA to WEP?
---
-Marshall Eriksen
#10VampLordAdamaruPosted 3/30/2010 10:46:51 AM
If I buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector, do I need to change the setting from WPA to WEP?

No, but it didn't work for me at all. It didn't want to install correctly on my PC. And people have said that it doesn't work on a Mac. Not sure if that's true or not. Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other.

Your best bet is still going to be a public un-encrypted Wi-Fi, such as Starbucks, B&N, McDonald's, Borders, etc.
---