This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many Pokemon should I level?

#1sm0kiEPosted 8/5/2014 10:30:26 AM
Sorry, I'm a complete pokemon noob. Do I need to level a bunch of different pokemon? I just finished bellsprout tower, and the only Pokemon I used was my starter fire one, and I've tried leveling the Onix but he doesnt feel as strong as the fire one.
#2DarkChozoGhostPosted 8/5/2014 3:29:48 PM
The easiest way to play is to just level up one pokemon. But it's more fun if you raise several. How many levels higher is your Cyndaquil than Onix? Naturally he'll be stronger if he's higher level. And in Bellsprout Tower Cyndaquil has a type advantage, so it would seem even more extreme.
---
"I find your protests inelegant.
Not to mention irrelevant." - Yuga
#3sm0kiE(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 4:15:53 PM
Thanks. I should carry a bunch of different types and throw out the counter pokemon during battles right?
#4DarkChozoGhostPosted 8/6/2014 3:05:58 AM
For the most part yeah. Make sure you keep in mind not only the pokemon's type, but the types of it's moves. It's good to have a variety of different types of moves on your pokemon. For instance, it would be a bad idea to teach your eventual Typhlosion Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Eruption, and Blast Burn. Having a move be the same type as the pokemon using makes that move 1.5 times it's normal power. For example, ember has 40 power, so on your starter it has 60.
---
"I find your protests inelegant.
Not to mention irrelevant." - Yuga
#5scitch1Posted 8/6/2014 5:39:18 AM
use the pokemon you like the look of its more fun that way

you cannot really go wrong in any game like this as you can always battle wild pokes etc for exp to get strong

cyndaquil has a massive advantage over the grass types in the sprout tower

onix is a good pokemon if you give it a chance

try to have a mix of types

a good water grass and fire type is always nice
---
Signature
#6shin609Posted 8/7/2014 10:41:40 PM
Onix will be you saving grace in the the 3rd gym battle.
---
PSN: shin609
Currently playing: Fire Emblem:Awekening(3ds),Xblaze:Code Embroy (Vita), Demon's Gaze (Vita), Grisaia no Kaijutsu(Great PC Visual Novel)
#7sm0kiE(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 12:16:01 AM
Yeah. I've been leveling him. His rock throw is pretty strong. I just fished a Magikarp and I'm going to level him too.
#8shin609Posted 8/8/2014 9:37:13 AM
sm0kiE posted...
Yeah. I've been leveling him. His rock throw is pretty strong. I just fished a Magikarp and I'm going to level him too.

I suggest you not bother with magicarp. It is only good for its evolution, (a.k.a Gyarados) but since it is part of the story that you fight one( it's a shiny btw) you can just catch it there. Make sure you save tho.

Honestly you are better of training another water pokemon like maril or poliwhirl.
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem:Awekening(3ds),Xblaze:Code Embroy (Vita), Demon's Gaze (Vita), Grisaia no Kaijutsu(Great PC Visual Novel)
#9MeatManHallPosted 8/8/2014 4:46:01 PM
shin609 posted...

Onix will be your saving grace for the first 3 gyms!
---
The moment Trapinch evolves into vibrava is the moment you realize all you thought you knew about pokemon was a lie.
#10shin609Posted 8/8/2014 8:02:12 PM
MeatManHall posted...
shin609 posted...

Onix will be your saving grace for the first 3 gyms!

Yeah...but it's downhill from there.
---