This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any tips for Voltorb Flip?

#1Nezra_FallonPosted 3/14/2010 11:08:29 PM
I can usually manage to get a... Very small amount of non-voltorbs in the first level before inevitably losing everything. I cannot for the life of me figure out a good way to actually play this well.

Is there any strategic methods i'm missing? Or am I forever doomed to getting 10 coins per game, and spending 6 years to get one TM?
---
"Disclaimer: It's Frequently Asked Questions, not Frequently Answered Questions." ~ Xienzo
#2AbnormaltycmplxPosted 3/14/2010 11:13:54 PM
Mostly luck, I guess. Just hope for a 0 row that intersects a 4 row...
---
Abnormalitycomplex
The Second Amendment is in place in case politicians ignore the others.
#3LinkofHyrule991Posted 3/14/2010 11:15:08 PM
this game pisses me off, I just don't get how I'm supposed to do it without luck
---
You've lost the game. -Near
#4AbnormaltycmplxPosted 3/14/2010 11:18:14 PM
I just made to level four. :D

Yeah, it's luck.
---
Abnormalitycomplex
The Second Amendment is in place in case politicians ignore the others.
#5jayman7Posted 3/14/2010 11:22:05 PM
It's not all luck. There are patterns. Example: Uncovering 1s doesn't matter, so if you see a row/column where the number total + Voltorbs = 5, you know there's nothing of dire importance in that row/column (sometimes it helps to sort out whether they're 1s or Voltorbs, but you'll never actually need to uncover any.) But sometimes the game just doesn't give you enough information, just like Minesweeper has a tendency to do. In these cases, yeah, luck.

And I still don't know why the game will sometimes drop you several levels on a single loss but not other times.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"Game Series 1 is the best because it set the stage for better games!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#6Mecha SoulPosted 3/14/2010 11:33:43 PM
its a combination of logic and luck

like jayman said, rows/columns that total to 5 are crap and should be ignored

rows with 0 voltorbs can all be flipped immediately

then it's just logic and probability

eg, if you've uncovered only a 2 in a row with 3 points and 3 voltorbs, you know the rest of the row is junk. you have 4 panels left which total to 1 point and 3 voltorbs: everything is either a 1 or voltorb, so ignore it
---
MS: Broa - Phosphorous, 6X Crossbowman - Brawl FC: 0259-0003-6362
http://www.uustadium.com/forum/ - "Wii would like to play."
#7GrilatePosted 3/14/2010 11:44:55 PM
And I still don't know why the game will sometimes drop you several levels on a single loss but not other times.

If you flipped over 3 "correct" cards before losing, it kicks you to level 3. Get a voltorb on the first or second flip (0/1 corrects) and it boots you down to level 1.
#8jayman7Posted 3/14/2010 11:47:58 PM
A bit more:

You can consider a row dead - as in, you don't need to uncover any more squares in it - if:

Total + Voltorbs = 5 + Uncovered 2s + 2 * Uncovered 3s

In other words, if the row says 5-2, and you've uncovered a 2, then the row is not dead, because:

5 + 2 =? 5 + 1 + 0
7 =/= 6

But if you uncover another 2, then you can consider the row dead:

5 + 2 =? 5 + 2 + 0
7 = 7

Or, if you didn't uncover a 2, but you did uncover a 3, then the row's dead without having to find anything else:

5 + 2 =? 5 + 0 + 2*1
7 = 7

It's just that Total + Voltorbs = 5 is a special case of this, because then the row is dead if you have nothing uncovered at all (and you WON'T find 2s or 3s in such a row.) Though if it reads 5-0, you may as well uncover it anyway just so you can clearly see the 1s.
---
"Game Series 1 is the best because it set the stage for better games!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#9jayman7Posted 3/14/2010 11:48:36 PM
If you flipped over 3 "correct" cards before losing, it kicks you to level 3. Get a voltorb on the first or second flip (0/1 corrects) and it boots you down to level 1.

I'd be more likely to believe this if I hadn't had runs when I flipped over NO correct cards and didn't lose a single level.
---
#10NeonDragon9000Posted 3/14/2010 11:49:06 PM
Isn't the game somewhat similar to Minesweeper? If so, you can apply real strategy, although there will always be a luck factor.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe