This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steelix, Aggron or Bastiodon

#1Sithlord8obPosted 5/19/2010 12:35:57 AM
Who do you think is best for competitive play?
#2GroundrattlerPosted 5/19/2010 12:36:38 AM
They are all brilliant in their own ways. You cannot compare them.

---
If you can't English anymore, I would recommended to not read of more, as English could an important skills.- Gandob
#3RunitePosted 5/19/2010 12:37:30 AM
Ignore Groundrattler. He says this nonsense in every thread he replies to.

None of the three is especially useful competitively. But especially not Bastiodon.
#4Sithlord8ob(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2010 12:39:46 AM
Thanks Runite. Who would you suggest as an alternative?
#5RunitePosted 5/19/2010 12:41:22 AM
For what purpose? To stall? To attack? I need more information than "Pick a PKMN for me."
#6Sithlord8ob(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2010 12:42:00 AM
Sorry, defensively, as a wall.
#7MC_Panda6969Posted 5/19/2010 12:42:05 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8RunitePosted 5/19/2010 12:48:25 AM

Sorry, defensively, as a wall.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/wall_breaking#ou
#9GroundrattlerPosted 5/19/2010 3:25:52 AM
For what purpose? To stall? To attack? I need more information than "Pick a PKMN for me."

This is what I was saying, you use them for different purposes, thus they cannot be compared.

Apples and oranges.
---
If you can't English anymore, I would recommended to not read of more, as English could an important skills.- Gandob
#10gamesmasterwanttobePosted 5/19/2010 6:03:26 AM
if you are looking for a physical wall, steelix is undoubtedly the way to go. His massive 200 base defence allows him to take stab boosted earthquakes from many pokemon in the UU environment. Bastiodon is comparable in this sense, able to wall on both the special and physical side, however, his HP is slightly lower and his crappy movepool and terrible base speed doesn't lend his portents well. Furthermore, as a wall, steelix has the almighty explosion, which is Bastiodon cannot carry.
Not much more needs to be said comparing the walling capabilities of these pokemon.
Aggron is a bit of a flip on this. His dual rock/steel typing means that even though he has a huge 180 base defence, he takes 4x attacks from both the most common fighting and ground moves in the game. Most stab boosted neutral special attacks will kill him as well, so is kinda frail, which doesn't help with his speed.
He generally has 2 choices - a choice band set, which contains 4 attacks. The idea is to bring him into something he resists very well (for example, outrage) and return the favour with massive stab boosted head smash or similar. You can also go for a rock polish set with Aggron, but it is often risky, as many scarf pokemon outspeed a +2 max speed Aggron, and can OHKO. Generally, aggron is a bit of a glass cannon, unless you can really predict well.
hope that was some help - Generally, with these choices you will want to play in the UU tier as none of these pokes perform too well in OU. Steelix is without a doubt the premiere physical wall of UU, so is best used if you want a defensive poke (arguably, Registeel is up there with him as well) .
Aggron best performs with all out attack, so if you are looking for that, I would go with Aggron. Both have their niches, but I find steelix to be more versatile, personally.
---
"I have a Girlfriend who is 13 years younger than me - Back of the net!"- Alan Partridge