This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Nature and Characteristic

#1SeferagaPosted 2/2/2012 12:15:34 PM
I understand how they work, but I'm not sure about one thing.

Is it best to have a characteristic that boosts the increased stat of a nature, or one that boosts the decreased stat of a nature.

Example: If my pokemon has a Modest nature, which increases S.Atk and decreases Atk, is it better to have a characteristic that boosts S.Atk or Atk?

Also, does anyone know the numerical value of the increase/decrease of Natures?
---
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..
#2GummiArmsPosted 2/2/2012 12:33:14 PM
If I recall correctly, the adjustment for natures was 10% of the base stat value. Also, I seem to recall that characteristics reflected the highest IV only, and didn't actually apply a separate increase. At any rate, you'd want a characteristic that reflected a high IV in the stats you most want to emphasize. Most likely this would be either attack, special attack, or speed, but YMMV.

The reasoning behind this is that natures are kind of a game of min/maxing. You sacrifice your abilities in one area of hopefully less benefit to the pokemon in question in order to increase your abilities in another more useful area. So, say you have a special attacker. You get a nature that decreases his physical attack and increases his special attack, and then you load him up with special attacking moves. It wouldn't make much sense to want to add points into his physical attack if you are never going to put a move that uses said stat on the guy.
#3Seferaga(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2012 7:08:23 PM
Oh I see. I just thought characteristics made a certain stat increase faster/more upon leveling. That's the impression I got from the guide book.

Thanks for your reply. :) It really helped me out!
---
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..
#4scitch1Posted 2/3/2012 4:54:10 AM
always use the internet not guide books dude
---
PSN = scott_2781
Add my PSN :)
#5GummiArmsPosted 2/3/2012 6:24:28 AM
No problem. Oddly, it was when my friends got me to pick up Pokemon Colloseum that I really became interested in the nitty-gritty of the game mechanics. But all those little tweaks can really make a difference.