This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ability: Technician + Attack: Return + STAB = ?

#1themediumonePosted 3/15/2010 4:46:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried using a combination of the ability "technician" with an attack such as Return, or any other attack with "???" power?

I ask, because I'm on the hunt for a Male Meowth with the Technician Ability. I plan on teaching it Return, and I'm curious if since the base power is "???" if I'll still get a the 1.5x bonus at all, or after the power of the attack rises to above 60.

If I get the 1.5x on top of the rising attack power, plus the Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) on top of that, and maybe a hold item to increase Normal attacks even more... That could be a lethal Meowth/Persion. Especially with the moves it can learn.
#2themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 5:13:24 PM
I know Return can get very strong, which is why I was asking in the first place. What I really was trying to ask was:

Does the game recognize once Returns power is over 60, considering the power says "???". If not, then it would ALWAYS get the Technician bonus.

Someone on the HG forums says that the game WILL recognize when Return is stronger than 60 power, despite showing the power as "???".
#3kanime_yutaPosted 3/15/2010 5:25:02 PM
It says ??? because, as you said, the power fluctuates depending on a Pokemon's Happiness, and that is always a fluid value. Pretty sure that once Return goes over 60 power, it's only getting STAB, not Technician.

Bear in mind that it's max power is 102 (153 with STAB), which is still 12 points higher than 60 Power with Technician, so it'd still be stronger.

Try using a Priority move or something with it. One of my Scizors has Bullet Punch and Technician.
---
Furry pride! "Yiff in hell, you say? Gladly!"
My Teams: http://i44.tinypic.com/1250y0n.png
#4kanime_yutaPosted 3/15/2010 5:32:12 PM
Just to clarify, the effects do stack, and it's multiplicative. In the example I used, with my Bullet Punch Scizor, it starts at 40 Power, goes up to 60 because of Technician, then goes to 90 for STAB. Either that it goes to 60 Power because of STAB, then 90 through Technician. Either way, it works out the exact same way. He's packing a 90 Power priority move.

I don't know which way it works, but I'm hoping it's the prior, because the Scizor I have on my Soul Silver team is going to have both Bullet Punch and Bug Bite. If it's the prior, and Technician is applied first, then Bug Bite goes to 90 Power, 135 with STAB.
---
#5themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 5:33:00 PM
Hmm, so then Technician doesn't work on Return that well. That's sorta depressing. If it did, then damn... Return would be pretty awesome with that full combination.

So how much is the typical STAB in general for all types? I never really looked much into that.
#6kanime_yutaPosted 3/15/2010 5:35:09 PM
STAB is an additional 50%, like Technician, and like I said, they stack multiplicatively. So, it'd be 2.25x normal power if they are both in play.
---
#7themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 5:44:21 PM
Ahh I see. I was reaaallllly hoping for:

Full Strength Return + Technician + STAB + Held Item = Total Power.
#8themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2010 5:47:19 PM
So, IF my theory WAS to work... Return's total attack power would have maxed out at roughly 229.5?
If so... then damn. Who needs Hyper Beam? ;)