This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Superpower vs Close Combat

#1minhoqPosted 4/26/2010 2:15:47 PM
So I've heard a great many good things about both of these moves, in terms of STAB and Type Coverage. My question is why Superpower seems to be more used in the OU metagame? IMO, I see Close Combat as being a much more useful move, as it doesn't reduce ATK, allowing easy reuse. But, I could be horribly wrong....anyone?
---
Official Lucario of the B/W Boards.
#2AmukiPosted 4/26/2010 2:26:48 PM
Close combat is for the people who either: have pokemon who rely on attack Stats, or dont mind defense drops because they sweep so well that there is minimal damage to their pokemon

Super Power is for people who need the One-shot and want to keep Special defense/attack. I assume they use mixed sweepers and superpower is the physical attack of choice, that or a special wall.

--also you should consider how easy it is to get both attacks alot of pokemon learn close combat
#3lordlugia_rocksPosted 4/26/2010 2:29:09 PM
Superpower is also a tutor move so it appears on more pokes. While close combat is exclusive to a few pokemon or more. I prefer close combat but yea as above poster said it's better for mixed sweepers.
---
pokemon soulsilver friend code: 4769-9681-3044
Join the SILVER SOLDIERS!
#4minhoq(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2010 2:32:47 PM
Ah, that makes much more sense. I guess I'd use my Lucario for Closed Combat then. Thanks!
---
Official Lucario of the B/W Boards.
#5EvilMewtwoPosted 4/26/2010 2:36:19 PM

Close combat is for the people who either: have pokemon who rely on attack Stats, or dont mind defense drops because they sweep so well that there is minimal damage to their pokemon

Super Power is for people who need the One-shot and want to keep Special defense/attack. I assume they use mixed sweepers and superpower is the physical attack of choice, that or a special wall.

--also you should consider how easy it is to get both attacks alot of pokemon learn close combat

Whether this means special attack or attack, it was a stupid statement. If it was Sp. Attack, neither move reduces it. If it was Attack, you're talking about the wrong move there, buddy; Superpower doesn't help guys who need their Attack, it lowers it.
---
LOL I think you mean grammEr. You try to act all cool and you screw up something so easy like that. LMAO - channtheman
#6FatedEncounterPosted 4/26/2010 3:27:46 PM
hey now, that's not nice...you're the one who got it all wrong :/

the statement means that since superpower lowers attack/defense, it still keeps special attack/defense in tact so the pokemon can then switch to using special attacks instead of physical attacks. it was pretty self explanatory if you understand the "mixed" part...
#7EvilMewtwoPosted 4/27/2010 3:31:44 PM
Yes, but both moves keep Special Attack. I don't see how a mixed sweeper benefits from Superpower over CC; in fact seeing as one move reduces one of two and one move reduced neither, I'd say CC is better for mixers.
---
channtheman
LOL u mean grammEr? u try n act all cool n u screw up smthin easy like that lmao