Finally, something new concerning Thief 4.

#1EnthasiusPosted 4/19/2012 2:15:50 PM
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/thief-franchise-to-see-deus-ex-like-reboot-with-fourth-installment-12449

Just bringing this to your collective attention. Glad to see it hasn't been completely forgotten, and that the game is in respectable hands if Human Revolution is anything to go by. Sure, there'll be naysayers who disliked DX:HR, but it was a successful game, and they clearly respected the franchise, so all in all, this is a good outcome.
---
"Life...is strength. This is not to be contested, it seems logical enough, you live....you affect your world. But is it what YOU need?" Jon Irenicus
#2worldwar24Posted 4/20/2012 2:01:00 PM
It is great news, saw an update @ PC Gamer's site as well.
---
xxiv
#3Captain45452Posted 4/21/2012 7:51:10 AM
I cringe when the word "reboot" is used for anything. Reboots are utter crap 90% of the time.
#4worldwar24Posted 4/25/2012 5:13:57 AM
Try not to rain on our parade Cap'n ...
---
xxiv
#5Captain45452Posted 4/26/2012 8:40:00 PM
Sorry :(

I've been waiting so long for this, but I'm concerned.
#6Bro_RabbitPosted 4/26/2012 8:47:09 PM(edited)
Hey, even if it turns it out bad, we still have Dishonored, which seems to be very similar to Thief. Harvey Smith, who worked on Thief 3 and has worked with Warren Spector, has a lead role on Dishonored.
---
Once I started to look, I finally began to see.
- Demetri Martin (Person)
#7worldwar24Posted 4/27/2012 3:10:02 AM
No worries Cap'n - after repeated serves of mediocrity, it makes it hard not to get cynical about any new offering, especially when it comes to a brilliant series like this one.

Some of us just try to be hopeful till it becomes obvious that all is lost.

*heads off to read about 'Dishonored.'*
---
xxiv
#8BluharvestPosted 4/27/2012 12:18:13 PM
woot
---
wdlp
#9Captain45452Posted 4/29/2012 6:20:24 AM
Yes, too much mediocrity in recent years :(

*also goes to read about this Dishonored game*
#10TazmanianDPosted 4/29/2012 8:17:19 PM

I'm actually more optimistic than I might otherwise be. If Thief 4 is to Deus Ex: Human Revolution as was Thief 3 to Deus Ex: Invisible War, then I'll be very happy. While I still enjoyed IW, they really did screw it up. They released T3 shortly after but I think they tried to avoid another debacle and T3 turned out reasonably well.

Now I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I thoroughly loved DX:HR and I'm a fan of the original DX and the original Thief games. I don't want quite the same mechanics that we had in DX:HR in T4 but I would be surprised if they did that. HR didn't make any use of hiding in shadows which I think in part required the whole cover mechanics. If you're in the line of sight, you're visible. Whereas in Thief, I expect they'll have a light gem of some sort and the ability to hide in shadows.