"Thief will do away with the magical elements......"

#1JackNiefPosted 3/10/2013 3:43:16 PM
"....including undead and other fantasy creatures."

http://www.destructoid.com/thief-s-focus-ability-will-change-how-stealth-works-247848.phtml#YKltAfqbO1DAr3k2.99

Take that as you will.
---
Proud Owner of: Playstation 3, Wii, Xbox360, Gaming PC, PSP, DS, Vita
<CHANGE> all the <THINGS!>
#2jake-sfPosted 3/10/2013 5:54:45 PM(edited)
I despise realistic medieval worlds but it seems like its the "in" thing these days. The hint at AC made me laugh pretty much. Lets be honest here. They're not making a Thief game. They're just using the name for publicity. And Focus. *face palm*. I don't even mean to say I dislike that feature. It just SCREAMS "we're doing this because everybody's doing it".

I also wonder how piss easy the game will be. According to that guy, you should probably be intended to run through the entire game on the hardest difficulty. Otherwise hey, might alienate some people.

Its crazy. There isn't a single sign in there of a good game in sight.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3Bumble_Posted 3/10/2013 8:00:41 PM
Hrmh...

Does not sound very promising... There is quite obvious reason to be concerned of having the game reduced to some brainless, so called stealth game we have these days... It seems that they are mostly focusing on blabbing about copying various features from other games they think are cool. Or at least, that's kinda the impression, I got. Seriously, who do they think is going to give a f*** about stuff like that? Morons... What they should be doing is reassure us that actually know s*** about the Thief games, that they are not going to f*** it up. There seems to be bare minimum of any mention about things relevant to that, in what I've read so far about the game. And what there is... is discouraging.

As one of us old timers, who has actually played the previous games (Last time only weeks ago actually. Had hard time getting DS to run tho when I got to it tho.), I would have liked to have read about them respecting the Garrett's story and continuing it. But instead, it would seem that what they are doing is more or less ignore it completely. And not only that, they seem to be revising the Thief world to their own liking too. Chopping things like undead sounds very bad, not to mention disrespectful. Those levels had best atmosphere really. Still, today after all these years, despite the dated graphics, it was really fun to play through the Bonehoard, Catheral levels and Cradle.

*sigh* I suppose it was too much to hope for that this particular series wouldn't be ruined too in the end. Ironic, that after nearly a decade we are finally about to get a new Thief game, except it's very possible we wont... even if it carries the name. And yes, I'm one of those that would prefer there to never be another, if they cannot make one without me feeling more like playing Assassin's Creed or something, rather than a Thief game.

Though truthfully, the series already started to go downhill in 2004 (Yup, the braindead age had already started), but at least DS still had the balls not to ignore previous games, and still retained most things that made it a "Thief" game. Oh well, hopefully I'd be wrong about this new one, of course. Sure would be swell to have these kind of games coming again :).
#4InterfusorPosted 3/11/2013 4:08:51 AM
I hope it won't have

QTE
Auto-aim (toggle on/off if it exists)
Missions where you are forced to kill
Not Stephen Russell
Removed cool gadgets
Sticky covers
---
I am not economically viable.
#5XeonGQPosted 3/11/2013 4:19:02 AM
I think it's worth pointing out that the Game Informer article that Destructoid is citing here does not say that it will "do away with the magical elements." It says that those elements will be "toned down."

I think scaling back on them at all is a bad thing, but there's a big difference between there being none and there being less.
#6PhilR1Posted 3/12/2013 6:38:23 AM
I've only played Deadly Shadows but absolutely loved it from start to finish. I really hope that zombies are still in the new Thief game. And those enemies in The Cradle just HAVE to be in.

Plus watching the mages use their magic in The City was good fun. Seems very strange that these elements will be toned down.
---
Currently playing Dead Space 3, X-Com Enemy Unknown. Waiting for Gears of War Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Army of Two Devils Cartel
#7XeonGQPosted 3/12/2013 4:31:11 PM
PhilR1 posted...
I've only played Deadly Shadows but absolutely loved it from start to finish. I really hope that zombies are still in the new Thief game. And those enemies in The Cradle just HAVE to be in.

Plus watching the mages use their magic in The City was good fun. Seems very strange that these elements will be toned down.

I think it's time for you to go on GOG and buy Thief and Thief 2! You've got plenty of time to play them before this comes out. :D
#8TazmanianDPosted 3/12/2013 9:23:11 PM
Interfusor posted...
I hope it won't have

QTE
Auto-aim (toggle on/off if it exists)
Missions where you are forced to kill
Not Stephen Russell
Removed cool gadgets
Sticky covers

You left out loot glint. Probably my biggest pet peeve of all time. Fortunately it can be modded out of Thief 3. It seriously pissed me off in Dishonored.
---
Join the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera, the successor to Planescape: Torment:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera
#9InterfusorPosted 3/13/2013 5:45:50 AM
TazmanianD posted...
You left out loot glint. Probably my biggest pet peeve of all time. Fortunately it can be modded out of Thief 3. It seriously pissed me off in Dishonored.

Oh yeah that reminds me of another thing, toggleable "quest or waypoint markers". I admit I abused those in Dishonored...
---
I am not economically viable.
#10sneakysnakePosted 3/13/2013 5:24:29 PM
>consolized
>mainstream
>Assasins Creed
>tone down
>reboot
>reimagine
>TONING DOWN

These are what we call RED FLAGS.