Could Thief 4 be considered a reboot?

#1Vue35Posted 3/11/2013 6:04:43 PM
topic title
---
http://i.imgur.com/yO2JP.png http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llbrieBkab1qh1sico1_500.gif
#2InterfusorPosted 3/13/2013 5:50:06 AM
Looks like it.
---
I am not economically viable.
#3sneakysnakePosted 3/13/2013 5:33:15 PM
And look at how "wonderful" these reboots/re-visionings we have been had these last few years:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon
Metroid Other M
Wolfensten
Devil may Cry
Hitman Absolution
Alone in the Dark
Tomb Raider
Bionic Commando
Fallout 3
Elder Scrolls
Silent Hill
#4Vue35(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 9:42:16 PM
And look at how "wonderful" these reboots/re-visionings we have been had these last few years:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon
Metroid Other M
Wolfensten
Devil may Cry
Hitman Absolution
Alone in the Dark
Tomb Raider
Bionic Commando
Fallout 3
Elder Scrolls

Silent Hill

What's wrong with these?
---
http://i.imgur.com/yO2JP.png http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llbrieBkab1qh1sico1_500.gif
#5HappyMrSnowmanPosted 3/14/2013 12:30:09 AM
Also Deus Ex Human Revolution could be considered a reboot. Don't be a hater. I'm not particularly THRILLED that they're doing a 'reboot' but I'm excited to see another Thief game out there. I'm even more excited to see that the studio still cares about it's old fans and wants to reintroduce a fantastic series. Quit clinging to the past, yeah, no game will be as good as TDP or T2, but we've got to move forward.
---
Stalker Clear Sky isn't a game. Its a virus - PapaTak when asked his opinions of STCS.
#6sneakysnakePosted 3/14/2013 2:38:40 AM
DEHR is a good game, I won't deny that, but the number of bad reboots outnumber the good ones. The idea of a reboot is inherently a problem in itself. This often gives the devs the right to do whatever they want in a reboot, which leads to devs forgetting and destroying what made a franchise special in the first place. DEHR did it right without forgetting the original and special theme of DE. Its just the latest statements from Game Informer and others that keeps raising more and more red flags thats something's wrong here.
#7PhilR1Posted 3/15/2013 5:12:43 AM
sneakysnake posted...
DEHR is a good game, I won't deny that, but the number of bad reboots outnumber the good ones. The idea of a reboot is inherently a problem in itself. This often gives the devs the right to do whatever they want in a reboot, which leads to devs forgetting and destroying what made a franchise special in the first place. DEHR did it right without forgetting the original and special theme of DE. Its just the latest statements from Game Informer and others that keeps raising more and more red flags thats something's wrong here.

It doesn't matter how many bad reboots there are. We need to concentrate on the developer itself and Eidos Montreal did a fantastic job with Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Admittedly I don't like the new look for Garrett. Looks too Gothic for my liking but if it is first person, we will never see him apart from in cut-scenes so it won't matter really, will it?
---
Currently playing Dead Space 3, X-Com Enemy Unknown. Waiting for Gears of War Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, Army of Two Devils Cartel
#8GgdograaPosted 4/4/2013 2:30:07 PM
Considered? It IS a reboot. They said so themselves.

What part of new look, new voice actor, new everything makes this hard to distinguish?
---
Gaming Videos & Cool Stuff: Youtube.com/user/Gggmanlives
#9ErpyPosted 4/29/2013 8:28:10 AM
It is. Think of it this way...many people (including yours truly) dislike starting in the middle of a series and knowing you're going to miss out on half of the plot points because of it. So if it's been too long to be able to count on a large part of your audience to have played the original, a reboot makes sense from a designers POV.
#10Captain45452Posted 4/30/2013 3:25:23 PM
Why reboot at all? Why not just make a totally different game and call it something else? There is absolutely no reason to have Garrett as the main character for this game.
More topics from this board...
Noob questionUltimate171027/3 4:28PM