Bracing Thought

#1HappyMrSnowmanPosted 3/15/2013 11:48:58 PM
So there's a lot of worrying words flying around, a lot of skepticism. I will fully admit I am as worried as the rest of the fans. The Thief games are my favorite games of all time and I definitely want the best for them.

Something that "hopefully" will lend some credibility and hope to this project is the record of Eidos Montreal SO FAR. They are a small group, and it seems like they're only working on one project at a time, rather than spreading thinly.

Their only 2 projects so far have been DEHR and the new Tomb Raider games, both of which are widely regarded as fantastic reboots. (Tomb Raider being a VERY surprising entry)

Seems like the studio is really doing their research and trying to do right by the originals, while reintroducing the franchise to the new generation. I'm not saying Thief 4 is going to be golden bollocks, but I think despite some of the words we've read recently, the studio knows what they're doing.
---
Stalker Clear Sky isn't a game. Its a virus - PapaTak when asked his opinions of STCS.
#2XeonGQPosted 3/16/2013 12:21:32 AM
Eidos Montreal only did the multiplayer for the new Tomb Raider, didn't they?

Though I agree based on Deus Ex alone. I think they'll do right by the series like they did with Deus Ex; with DE it felt like a lot of care went into making it something for fans of and in the spirit of the original.
#3sneakysnakePosted 3/16/2013 12:00:22 PM
About Garrett's new design...

"we toned down all the things that felt gothic, like black nails and things like that." Why? Because "we wanted to make him a little bit more mainstream."

OK...no black nails, buts its okay to give him black mascara under his eyes. WTF. The French designer clearly never played Thief. He now looks like a rejected dropout from ninja academy.
#4Vue35Posted 3/16/2013 7:21:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5wolf riderPosted 3/25/2013 7:48:12 AM
HappyMrSnowman posted...
Their only 2 projects so far have been DEHR and the new Tomb Raider games, both of which are widely regarded as fantastic reboots. (Tomb Raider being a VERY surprising entry)

Err, DE: HR was faithful to the original, TR was not. So it kinda evens out.
---
"When was the last time someone said 'Man, I wish this game had MORE QTEs'? Never mother******. That's when!" ~ Samuel L. Jackson on QTEs
True story.
#6CD SetPosted 3/30/2013 4:56:39 PM

TR was developed by Crystal Dynamics though. Eidos Montreal only worked on multiplayer.
---
Yay, music!
http://soundcloud.com/niwm
#7Vue35Posted 3/31/2013 11:12:10 AM

TR was developed by Crystal Dynamics though. Eidos Montreal only worked on multiplayer.

Even for the Multiplayer, they did a fairly nice job.

I wish that CD would've stuck a bit more to the original TR games though, it feels sorta incomplete.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yO2JP.png http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llbrieBkab1qh1sico1_500.gif
#8Red_JesterPosted 3/31/2013 2:38:18 PM
Tomb Raider was just an Uncharted clone and almost a complete departure from the core Tomb Raider experience. It was about as mainstream Call of Duty action-gamer focused as you could possibly get and no, I didn't mention Call of Duty as a pejorative.

I can already tell from Garrett's redesign as an anorexic emo, gothic vampire ninja that this game is definitely a PS3/PS4 rental. (Dunno which platforms its aiming for) I mean, they're clearly going after the console audience, anyways. May as well play it on the intended platform and not give them any money for it.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#9Vue35Posted 3/31/2013 8:54:52 PM
Red_Jester posted...
Tomb Raider was just an Uncharted clone and almost a complete departure from the core Tomb Raider experience. It was about as mainstream Call of Duty action-gamer focused as you could possibly get and no, I didn't mention Call of Duty as a pejorative.

I can already tell from Garrett's redesign as an anorexic emo, gothic vampire ninja that this game is definitely a PS3/PS4 rental. (Dunno which platforms its aiming for) I mean, they're clearly going after the console audience, anyways. May as well play it on the intended platform and not give them any money for it.

He doesn't look like a gothic-type rogue who has emotions and cries himself to sleep, one of the things that you have to remember is that he left the City (presumably after Deadly Shadows) and he probably changed in that time wherever he was, so they are going for more of a realistic look.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yO2JP.png http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llbrieBkab1qh1sico1_500.gif
#10Red_JesterPosted 4/1/2013 10:32:21 AM(edited)
Isn't this a reboot for the series? I thought there were no story connections between this and the past games. If it wasn't a reboot, then I'd be even more annoyed, but I'm positive I read that somewhere.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.