Romano Orzari

#11Captain45452Posted 5/2/2013 4:36:46 PM
Seriously, you have to be kidding. Native French speakers go berserk when Americans try to speak French and don't use correct pronunciation. It goes both ways, nothing "bunk" about it.

The heart attack argument is stupid. What happened isn't like that at all. If he had died, then there is nothing that can be done. However, he wasn't chosen because he isn't a stunt man.

Again, it's not nostalgia.
#12ErpyPosted 5/2/2013 10:04:40 PM
Captain45452 posted...
Seriously, you have to be kidding. Native French speakers go berserk when Americans try to speak French and don't use correct pronunciation. It goes both ways, nothing "bunk" about it.

The heart attack argument is stupid. What happened isn't like that at all. If he had died, then there is nothing that can be done. However, he wasn't chosen because he isn't a stunt man.

Again, it's not nostalgia.

I'm afraid I'm not kidding. Your argument was that a French studio (regardless of whether it employed native English speakers that made the choice or not) was unfit for making English casting decisions simply because it happens to be located in a French spreaking region (just like Ubisoft Montreal which made the later Prince of Persia games and Assassins Creed games could only make casting decisions in French). My argument was that your argument was bunk because plenty of native English speakers there are employed there and one doesn't have to be speaking a language from childhood to be good at speaking and understanding it and judging if someone pronounces words correctly or not.

My other argument was that game series are hardly ever tied to a specific voice actor and if Stephen Russell had been unavailable for Thief 2 (regardless of the reason), Looking Glass would have proceeded with production anyway because that's simply how game development works.
#13Captain45452Posted 5/3/2013 9:24:13 PM
Uh, no, it's not bunk. The interviews I've seen were French speakers. A lot of the key players are French speakers. Yes, I'm sure there are native English speakers working there, but most seem to be French-Canadian. Feel free to show that I am wrong. Your little "YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING, OMG BUNK" comments do nothing other than making you look snotty.

My other argument was that game series are hardly ever tied to a specific voice actor and if Stephen Russell had been unavailable for Thief 2 (regardless of the reason), Looking Glass would have proceeded with production anyway because that's simply how game development works.

But that's not what happened. Your hypothetical argument is meaningless when Russell was the voice of Garrett for three games, over several years. As for your "hardly ever" comment, games that have a lot of sequels with recurring characters quite often keep using the same person.

Mario - Charles Martinet
Snake - David Hayter (until recently - and fans are mad)
Splinter Cell - Ironside (also until recently - also angry fans)
Hitman - Bateson (fans fought to keep him)
Downes - Master Chief across many games
Professor Layton / Luke Triton - same two actors across several games
Batman games - these keep using Mark Hamill and others from the animated series
Nathan Drake - North has voiced the three games
Kratos - all games and spinoffs have been Carson
Marcus in Gears of War - DiMaggio for the three games

I'm sure there are more. Find me a series of games that has *recurring* characters and doesn't keep the voice actors. There are a couple where they switch, but usually they at least have a stretch of several games.

#14Captain45452Posted 5/4/2013 10:09:25 AM
Oh, found another:

Aladdin - Scott Weinger has voiced him in many cartoons and various games since the 1992 original
#15ErpyPosted 5/4/2013 1:33:53 PM
Yeah, there's French-sounding names in there. So? The teams that created the Assassins Creed games were also from Montreal and had truckloads of French names including some of the directors and yet they were able to cast actors for English roles. When people are hired to do directing for AAA-titles, they're generally assumed capable enough in the English language to pick actors with some degree of judgement. I'd say that this is a safer assumption than your "people with French names don't know English well enough".

About a series...Tomb Raider? Lara's switched actresses several times. Arkham City kept Conroy and Hamill, but Harley Quinn's VA was switched.

I agree, in general teams try to go for consistency, which is why I assume that if this game does well enough to warrant a sequel, they won't switch voice actors again but try to go with Romano Orzari again. It's a shame Russell wasn't hired for technical reasons, but if you HAVE to switch then the start of a reboot is generally the least worst moment to do so.
#16Captain45452Posted 5/4/2013 3:38:34 PM(edited)
English is my first language. Are you saying that I would be able to pick voices for a French or Spanish language game just as well as a native speaker because I know some of both languages and have seen some movies in these languages? Would I be qualified to choose actors for different regions (eg, France vs Quebec and Spain vs Mexico)?

Oh, I just thought of another voice - the guy who does Duke Nukem. My list keeps growing... I think you were wrong about the bit about them usually not keeping the same voice actor for games.
#17ErpyPosted 5/5/2013 1:29:33 AM
Captain45452 posted...
English is my first language. Are you saying that I would be able to pick voices for a French or Spanish language game just as well as a native speaker because I know some of both languages and have seen some movies in these languages? Would I be qualified to choose actors for different regions (eg, France vs Quebec and Spain vs Mexico)?

Oh, I just thought of another voice - the guy who does Duke Nukem. My list keeps growing... I think you were wrong about the bit about them usually not keeping the same voice actor for games.

If you know "some" French and Spanish and have merely seen some movies then no, you're probably not as qualified as a native speaker. But the keyword is "some".

I'm a native Dutch speaker. I know some French and German. I've seen some movies and read some books in those languages. I'm not even remotely qualified to select a VA in those languages. I also know English. I've seen movies, read books and played games in that language for about 20 years. I've worked with a game development team consisting mostly of native English speakers for about 8 years. There were days when I spoke and wrote more English than Dutch. I WOULD consider myself qualified to make casting decisions in that language about as well as I would trust myself to make casting decisions in my native language. Experience is key here.

In game development, game design docs are written almost universally in English, especially in a bi-lingual country such as Canada. If native English speakers are among the team, then the lanugage on the workfloor tends to be English as well. It's a very safe assumption that the people making those decisions are more than well-versed enough in English to make informed decisions whether it's their native language or not.

Also, my point was not that teams don't tend to stick to VA's who've voiced earlier games (they usually do), but that in the case of the VA not being available or able to for some reason (be it technical reasons like in this game or scheduling reasons on behalf of the VA), the development is not halted but another actor is cast in his place instead. If the development team hadn't gone with a recording process that required the VA's to do their character's stunts, they probably would have picked Russell to reprise his role. But they didn't, so they didn't. It's fair to disagree with that, but it still happened.
#18ItsYerBoyPosted 6/3/2013 9:26:58 AM
So, they picked a VOICE actor, because of his EYES?
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/Rasty
http://www.twitter.com/RastySaysHi