You get prompted to jump.

#11tehufnPosted 8/29/2013 8:29:49 PM
wolf rider posted...
It’s pretty obvious what’s going on here.

The less mechanics that are in the game, the less time and resources are needed to implement and test them to ensure they work properly. For example, instead of designing levels that are robust such that players can’t jump over a fence they’re not supposed to, EM just removed the ability to jump altogether. Removing jumping is just a cost saving measure but EM can’t say that publicly so they make up some BS excuse like ‘why would you need to jump lol?’

Because beta testers are too expensive
---
Nail
Creator of the Saurus.
#12ErpyPosted 8/30/2013 1:28:32 AM
pyrotech1588 posted...
If you really want to feel anger, just read this post by this idiot Eidos community manager shilling hard for the company defending this ****:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1943475&postcount=399

To be honest he does make a good point. There have been lots of games, like the Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed games, that had contextual jumps and it didn't really feel like a manual hop option was missing. In the end it comes down to how well it's implemented.
#13wolf riderPosted 8/30/2013 1:55:21 AM
tehufn posted...
wolf rider posted...
It’s pretty obvious what’s going on here.

The less mechanics that are in the game, the less time and resources are needed to implement and test them to ensure they work properly. For example, instead of designing levels that are robust such that players can’t jump over a fence they’re not supposed to, EM just removed the ability to jump altogether. Removing jumping is just a cost saving measure but EM can’t say that publicly so they make up some BS excuse like ‘why would you need to jump lol?’

Because beta testers are too expensive

Because money is money.
---
You don't get to say you're staying true to the franchise if you MAKE JUMPING A CONTEXT-SENSITIVE ACTION! ~ Me on the Thief reboot.
#14thanthenPosted 9/12/2013 6:12:58 PM
Naa, you guys are dumb, think about it. Who finds walking carefully on some beam fun? This game might have tons of that, not just once every 5 hours. And you're not even suppose to do it slowly, but at running speed like the master thief would. Think what a pita traversing around the city on rooftops via tight platforms and whatnots would be if you had to worry about falling off every second.
---
Rock is fine, scissors are overpowered.
-paper
#15ImarubePosted 9/17/2013 10:10:05 PM
thanthen posted...
Naa, you guys are dumb, think about it. Who finds walking carefully on some beam fun? This game might have tons of that, not just once every 5 hours. And you're not even suppose to do it slowly, but at running speed like the master thief would. Think what a pita traversing around the city on rooftops via tight platforms and whatnots would be if you had to worry about falling off every second.

Oh, you mean like a real thief would? See that's the problem most people have, they don't want to see the character do flashy moves, they want to do it themselves.
---
Long Live MST3K
#16Psycho_PoodlePosted 9/23/2013 4:56:48 AM
I want the whole game to play itself for me.
---
What's that in the bushes?! Is it a duck? Is it a bear?! No! It's Topic List. -Brett8
#17ErpyPosted 9/23/2013 9:39:36 AM
Imarube posted...
thanthen posted...

Oh, you mean like a real thief would? See that's the problem most people have, they don't want to see the character do flashy moves, they want to do it themselves.

Well, until they slip a dozen times or so. First-person platforming...just kind of sucks by default. It's not so bad if it's very slow-paced, but at a quicker pace, you're just very likely to take a wrong step. Ask any first-person shooter player. Heck, two months ago the old classic Rise of the Triad was remade and there were a couple of levels that required the player to jump from platform to platform or bounce from jump pad to jump pad. Three guesses which parts were being thrashed by players as the most infuriating parts of the game? Yup, those ones.

There's a reason games like Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed built in a few safeguards that prevented you from falling to your death every few steps. It allowed players to enjoy the games without having to watch their feet all the time.
#18sneakysnakePosted 10/10/2013 5:17:40 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pulling-back-the-curtain-on-thief/1100-6415381/

"If it's a life simulation, we discovered that it's not fun because you feel the game is not fair." He describes tests in which they would throw objects to get a guard's attention. The AI programmers would celebrate when the guard cared more about where the bottle was thrown from than where it landed, correctly interpreting the location of the player. Getting worked up again, Roy throws a water bottle across the room and pretends he is the guard, describing the AI's potential thought process in this scenario. "OK, this is the room, and there's the bottle. And it's f***ing stupid because the room is empty, and probably the bottle is coming from this direction!" Still pretending to be the guard, Roy moves to where he would know the player was and makes a stabbing motion. "Boom, you're dead!"

But that's not the behavior the player expects, and it destroys the purpose of why the bottle is initially thrown--to distract the guard and avoid detection. Roy tells me, "And this is where I think there's no black or white answer. Because on your side maybe you're going to be really demanding and you're going to tell me 'I don't believe in this behavior.' But the other person will say, 'hey man, I really want to have fun with the game. It's a video game, not like a simulation, give me a break, make sure that I can read the pattern.' "

Dumber AI on purpose...
#19Buddy_DacotePosted 10/12/2013 2:24:21 AM
Stealth games are getting too easy. That was my biggest problem with Dishonored, the guards were just so damn stupid it made sneaking around less fun. And don't get me started on Far Cry 3, the pinnacle of moronic stealth A.I.
#20DarkvirusvxPosted 10/14/2013 6:41:10 PM
Why does free jump have to equal bunny hop to the devs? I never bunny hopped in the first three thief games, because doing so would make noise.

I understand the argument the character would never do that he is a master thief, but the same argument could be made he never fail to pick a lock, miss aim an arrow or be seen all of which are why we play the game.

In the original games I remember failing jumps from one roof top to another, they were small challenges but a part of the game.

I dont even want to think how they changed combat, If i wanted to play Dishonored I would.