where can i find saved games

#1frostee-ukPosted 11/5/2009 5:47:42 PM

I need to uninstall steam (and remove the directory) but I dont want to lose my torchlight characters, does anyone know where the saved games are kept, I'm using win7, thanks.

#2Lousy_FellowPosted 11/5/2009 6:13:00 PM
I don't know the exact path on 7, but in the folder where you installed the game there should be a shortcut to the Application Data folder. The saved games are in a folder called runic games.
---
I kick ass for the LORD!!!
Lousy_Fellow used SPLASH! Nothing happens.
#3frostee-uk(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2009 2:35:25 PM
thanks for the info, sadly steam dicided to take my whole games directory with it, i usually keep all games in C:\games, all gone, tried a system restore which seemed to work great but none of the games worked anymore. Luckily it was a fresh install of win7 from a few days ago and I only had 3 games installed. I cant blame steam entirely though as I think i may have installed it wrong, but damn, to take a whole directory with it :( I notice that some games leave the install folder behind if you have created a folder inside them yourself, maybe valve should try adding this feature to the steam uninstall. I remember this happening to me before long time ago on winXP, but back then i had steam in my 'program files' folder and it took all that with it too, lost alot of stuff :(
#4so4realPosted 11/6/2009 5:18:58 PM
you could have or should have used the Steam backup feature (right click game title and select 'backup game')

I have my steam installed on a seperate physical drive (not a partitioned logical drive) and my path is: D:\games\steam\ Saves a lot of time for recover if the main OS or drive takes a dive.

That being said, my installed path is: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\torchlight and my saved game files are here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

Sorry to tell you that you could have indeed saved your game file and it may still be there if the file hasn't been overwritten.

System restore only restores system files and not document/user created files. To do that you have to run a schedule or run a windows backup under system tools or use a third party app.

the paths listed above works for vista and up.

Hope this helps another steam user in the future.
---
#5Geohound_RyudoPosted 11/6/2009 6:07:12 PM
How does Steam Backup work, anyways?
---
The answer to your question: 42
The two-party political system is stupid.
#6so4realPosted 11/6/2009 6:46:25 PM
How does Steam Backup work, anyways?

it creates a self compressed executable that you can store at another location, then when you need to restore/reinstall you can just double-click the file and basically have the game back without having to re download anything - including the steam client.

It's good for putting games on an external USB drive (or anywhere else) and moving them to other computers or to a friends house. Caveat: There has to be an active connection to the net to connect to steam and re- authorize your games the first time. After that you can leave that computer offline for offline games. Beats the heck out of downloading 1-12+GB of game(s) again in the event of a disaster.

you can test this with a game that has a smaller foot print.
---
#7frostee-uk(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2009 1:40:40 PM
no, steam deleted my whole games folder, deleting games that had nothing to do with steam at all. I install steam into a folder called games which is where i keep all of my other non steam games too.
#8darthbankerPosted 11/14/2009 10:24:56 AM

I had this same problem, after some research.. I found what I was looking for. I posted the quick step-by-step instructions on my blog which you can check out here: http://hytek9.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/torchlight-saved-game-backup/

I was playing the game on my desktop, leveled up a character, etc. I bought a new gaming laptop, and wanted to play my character on it.. I quickly found out that trying to just backup the Steam game files did not transfer my saved games.

I hope my information helps..

#9DragnfyrPosted 11/14/2009 12:19:50 PM
Why not just install your games into the Program Files folder? Then you won't have this problem in the future if you need to uninstall Steam.
---
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R | E8500 @ 3.8GHz | 4GB DDR2-800 Mushkin | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | HD4870 512MB | Corsair 650TX | Samsung T240 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit