Alchemist builds?

#1robotzombiePosted 11/8/2009 1:46:15 PM
Can someone give me some examples of Alchemist builds and how to play them? They seem so diverse, I don't even know where to start. Maybe which skills to max for a certain build and what equips/stats to go for to compliment it?

Thanks in advance
---
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." ~ Mark Twain
#2LokarinPosted 11/8/2009 2:26:28 PM
First pick what weapon you want... this is important since a large portion of your skill points is weapon specialization.

For starters I recommend Dual Wielding Wands. So take Magic Weapons Expertise, Dual Wield and Critical Strikes. (30 Points)

For stats, if you choose Wands, should be a lot of Magic and start adding Defense whenever you take too much damage. Keep 5-10 points in reserve incase you want to equip something, but don't go overboard raising off stats since stats on gear do count.

Adventurer, Barter and Treasure Hunter are good for other reasons, so that's another 30 points (You need Gold, lots of it)... Adventurer, oddly enough, is best used because it lets you downrank potions.

Then you probably want to pick out some spells. Spells are capped at 11 (Base 1, +10 Skill points) it's not necessary to get 10 Ranks of Offensive Skill Mastery if you have ANY bonus Offensive Skill Mastery on gear since it's hard capped at 10. But if you like only 1 school of magic you can easily put 3-6 points into it without complaints.

If you are having trouble living every point of Armour Expertise increases your armour by 4% and every point of Block and Parry increases your Block by 2%. In addition every point in Armour Expertise lowers the required stats and levels for equipment by 1.

After this you need to pick skills you like... go ahead and put 1 point in all of them to find out what you like. Some are worth maxing, others are not. For example Terror is good at either 1 or 2 points, Ember Shield is good at 1 point. Ember Phase is used for movement, so that's another good 1 point.

---
This message has been brought to you by Salt!
"Salt cures Everything!"
#3FenriradramelkPosted 11/8/2009 3:59:04 PM
My alch is 32 at the moment...

Main skills: Ember Lance, Ember Strike, Adv. Spellcasting, Adventurer.
1 point wonders: Ember Phase... and that's about it.

Working toward maxing Adv. Spellcasting & Treasure Hunter, then I'll probably max Ember Strike next, followed by Beam Golem or Ember Sentry.

Spells: Frost, Fireball, Heal All, Idenfity
-- frost has a nice freeze effect, and damage over time. Fireball is useful for big AoE damage, but I want to replace it with something else (Lance & Strike handle fire damage). Heal All is backup in case I run out of potions. Identify, because carrying ID scrolls is cumbersome.
I'll probably replace Fireball with Dervish, whenever I see it for sale next.

Pet Spells: Summon Skeleton, Summon Aloe Gel
Skeleton is just for something for monsters to chase instead of me. Aloe Gel is nice for the same thing, and it tosses heals around.

Stats: pretty close to this spread per level up: 2 strength, 2 magic, 1 defense.
At around 20 I slowed down on strength and picked more magic & defense up.
Almost entirely ignored Dexterity. (if you plan to use guns/bows, you'll want more dex).
Including equipment bonuses, my strength is at about 55, dex is like 20, Magic is 90, defense is around 65.

Weapon Choice: Wands. No real reason, it seemed fitting, and I usually am way over the required magic to wield them anyway. Not that I ever actually USE my wands though, heh.

The strategy:
Run around, let Beam Golem//Pet//Skele//Aloe Gel go grab monsters, while I sit back and pierce with Ember Lance, or blow them up with Strike.
Named Bosses usually require me to use Frost & Pyre (extra DoT's, even if it isn't much), and focusing Ember Lance to kill. If the boss has any minions, I'll usually destroy them first with Strike/Lance.
---
The Sun was born, so it shall die. As we were forged we shall return.
I know in darkness I will find you, giving up inside like me.
#4faniramaPosted 11/8/2009 6:39:09 PM

Fenriradramelk posted...
My alch is 32 at the moment...

Main skills: Ember Lance, Ember Strike, Adv. Spellcasting, Adventurer.
1 point wonders: Ember Phase... and that's about it.

Working toward maxing Adv. Spellcasting & Treasure Hunter, then I'll probably max Ember Strike next, followed by Beam Golem or Ember Sentry.

Spells: Frost, Fireball, Heal All, Idenfity
-- frost has a nice freeze effect, and damage over time. Fireball is useful for big AoE damage, but I want to replace it with something else (Lance & Strike handle fire damage). Heal All is backup in case I run out of potions. Identify, because carrying ID scrolls is cumbersome.
I'll probably replace Fireball with Dervish, whenever I see it for sale next.

Pet Spells: Summon Skeleton, Summon Aloe Gel
Skeleton is just for something for monsters to chase instead of me. Aloe Gel is nice for the same thing, and it tosses heals around.

Stats: pretty close to this spread per level up: 2 strength, 2 magic, 1 defense.
At around 20 I slowed down on strength and picked more magic & defense up.
Almost entirely ignored Dexterity. (if you plan to use guns/bows, you'll want more dex).
Including equipment bonuses, my strength is at about 55, dex is like 20, Magic is 90, defense is around 65.

Weapon Choice: Wands. No real reason, it seemed fitting, and I usually am way over the required magic to wield them anyway. Not that I ever actually USE my wands though, heh.

The strategy:
Run around, let Beam Golem//Pet//Skele//Aloe Gel go grab monsters, while I sit back and pierce with Ember Lance, or blow them up with Strike.
Named Bosses usually require me to use Frost & Pyre (extra DoT's, even if it isn't much), and focusing Ember Lance to kill. If the boss has any minions, I'll usually destroy them first with Strike/Lance.
---
The Sun was born, so it shall die. As we were forged we shall return.
I know in darkness I will find you, giving up inside like me.

Yep. Some good tips by Fenrir

My alchemist is almost level 20

http://calc.torchlightinsider.com/index.php?c=2#?b=0,2,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,6,0,0,4,6,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

And I did the following -

Main skills: Ember Lightning, Ember shield, Adventurer.
1 point wonders: Critical strike, Ember Lance

Working toward : maxing Ember lightning, Ember shield and Adventurer.

Looking towards : Adv. Spellcasting, Treasure Hunter, Ember phase and Ember strike, possibly Beam Golem and Ember sentry

Spells: Elemental protection, Elemental overlord, Heal All, Idenfity
elemental protection is useful so is overlord when coupled with ember lance to drain poewrful enemy's health very quickly.

Pet Spells: Summon Zombies, Draining touch
Zombies is just for distraction fodder so I can blast from distance. Draining touch isn't helping much IMO.

Stats: 3 for magic, 2 for defense every round. Strenght is automatically increasing for me. I'm holding a 2-handed buffed up staff - 260 dps, lots of resistances, %damages and bonuses with sockets.

I ignored Dexterity.

Weapon Choice: 2 handed staves that're buffed up. I really try to avoid direct combat and range attack every one with Ember lightning. Couple of blasts and they're all 90% dead or dead. Use Ember Lance to finish off. Ember lightning is good that you don't need line of sight and it knocks back rest and it seeks out its victims ( multiple in one hit )

The strategy:
Distance is key and set Pet to aggressive to trigger attention to pet. Sip Elemental resist and Elemental overlord before a fame boss or other boss, blast from distance and run back. Use imp if needed to keep them distracted on minions.

To do : respec and remove Imp, Ember bolt, Iceshock and give to core ones listed above.

#5n3sstxiPosted 11/9/2009 4:44:31 AM
anyone have a good build for a summoning alchemist?
#6LokarinPosted 11/9/2009 11:51:38 AM
Well, I've been skipping Nether imps since they die so quickly, but for 2 low points you get 3 of them still... they get a major life boost if you max it out though.

As soon as I figure out how to mod the game I'm changing the lengthy buff moves into Toggleables... It's annoying having to cast Thorned Minions or Burning Bind every 30 seconds. (Or on Destroyer, Frost Shield every 20)

That aside, Thorned Minions is good if you like to bother to cast it... it's not quite as good as Burning Bind if you only want to cast one.

Alchemial Golem gets new attacks at 4 and 7, experiment... if you don't like these moves then stick to ranks 1, 3 or 6.

Terror is OP. 1 point is mandatory and the 2nd point increases its duration by a second. Then 1 second for every 2 points after that.

Pet Mastery Obviously

Beam Golem should be gotten to rank 2 for its Static counter or Rank 10 for its multi-beam.

Ember Sentry is often included in these builds, but know that it doesn't scale well with additional points. 1 Point is good for everyone, but only max it when you have points to spare.

After that, since you have pet mastery and other pet skills you should get pet spells, most of with are Charm... so raise Charm Mastery to 5-8 (or even 10) based on how much Charm Mastery you have on items.

Frailty will boost all your pets damage and combined with Terror you can control most rooms while your pets do the work.

And get a good Fish, seriously, even the weakest transformations are a huge boost to your pet.

---
This message has been brought to you by Salt!
"Salt cures Everything!"