Hardcore mode, permanently dead chars and heirlooms

#1TerrorwjPosted 11/16/2009 3:39:42 AM
Just a few questions
1. Is there any benefit to hardcore mode..?
2.Is there any way to retrieve and carry on with a permanently dead char (Cheating or bypassing the death)?
3.Is it possible to make heirlooms out of heirlooms?

~

#2Nezra_FallonPosted 11/16/2009 5:11:31 AM
"Permanently Dead" is the benefit of Hardcore. Its for "Hardcore" players (Or as I call them, insane masochists. But hey, to each their own).

Being able to revive characters who have died on Hardcore would kinda defeat the point of Hardcore mode.

No idea on the Heirlooms.
#3AlexBoylePosted 11/16/2009 7:21:17 AM
Yes you can make heirlooms out of heirlooms, my heirloom is on its 3rd generation.
---
I'm like a bum with no legs, I can't stand working.
#4buriedtwicePosted 11/16/2009 8:21:05 AM

You can "resurrect" a dead character. I don't know how to, but I remember there's at least one topic about it on Runics forums.

#5buriedtwicePosted 11/16/2009 8:23:26 AM
Nezra_Fallon posted...
Being able to revive characters who have died on Hardcore would kinda defeat the point of Hardcore mode.

It's usefull if you happen to die because of some stupid pop-up or other annoying problems.
#6Terrorwj(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2009 9:38:22 AM
I want to know whether I can cheat death, as I selected hardcore mode without consulting guides and other things to see if it had any advantage, which I honestly expected. Needless to say, I got insta-killed walking into the ember colossus' laser, I do not wish to re-grind hours of 'work' because of some unforeseeable insta-kill.

Something which might be possible - is it possible to hex edit to change the 'dead' status to like.. not?
#7cigaro360Posted 11/16/2009 9:59:28 AM
Since the data isn't deleted or anything i would assume that its possible to edit the save data to make the character alive again.
#8Terrorwj(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2009 10:13:11 AM
Thats giving me some hope, but I honestly dont deal with codes and stuff myself, any possible guidance if it is possible to change this or recover my dead char? Infact - any save editors out yet that could do this, tried searching myself, best I could find was a gibberish and un-translatable chinese save editor, don't know if it even has what I'm looking for. Thanks if anyone could help.
#9cigaro360Posted 11/16/2009 10:21:28 AM
Yea i'm not to good at it myself :( right now im messing around with the save data with a hex editor but i have no idea what i'm doing lol.

This guy seems to be making a easy to use save data editor for this game.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7036

you could sign up and ask him to add the ability to revive your character.
#10EnragedSlithPosted 11/16/2009 12:07:43 PM
If you can't handle instant deaths, either stop playing hardcore or play through softcore first, in order to get a better idea of what to expect. I personally find it exciting to not know what to expect, though I admit that it's annoying to have to replay the same areas over and over again, especially on VH.

Deaths due to stupid things like laggy stair traps (if you have a slow computer) or pop-ups and AV software are a different story. I'd like to see a mod that automatically pauses the game when you travel to a new area, or, if it's even possible, one that pauses the game if Torchlight is minimized.