After The Main Quest Ends... Shadow Vault?

#1RatsnevePosted 1/21/2010 7:20:25 PM

I finished the main quest after around 34 hours of fun. All the quests dried up until after the final boss battle. Then it starts all over again with the Shadow Vault...except there is no main quest to follow. Is the Shadow Vault what I've heard described as the Infinite Dungeon? Is it and its quests infinite? If the quests end at some point about how many are there? Then does the dungeon floors just continue on and on? This I did all the quests and all the floors of the main game dungeon is there ANYTHING new of interest going on in the Shadow Vault? In other words...why should I continue playing Torchlight if the main and side quests have given me a fill and if I don't really want to start something that just goes on forever? I don't see what my interest would be in running my character up from level 34 to 99--if it were even possible.

Thanks for talking about this "problem". I know I'm going to have to unwind from Torchlight if I don't continue to play. I always have sort of a withdrawl after finishing something that I've really enjoyed playing. I finished Dragon Age a couple weeks ago. I have to give Torchlight the 9.5 and Dragon Age the 8.0 (out of 10).

#2Ratsneve(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2010 7:28:14 PM

Continued...

I don't want to do mods and I don't want to wait for multiplayer. I really want to stop playing Torchlight and start playing Left 4 Dead 2 BUT I don't want to stop TL is there remains neat fun dungeon levels in Shadow Vault to explore out. If Shadow Vault is just a rehash of some of the fun levels in the main dungeon with nothing really new (no new puzzles) then I should stop.

Can you help me get this straight? :)

#3STG DeathbotPosted 1/21/2010 8:52:41 PM
According to the Steam Achievement page, there only lies a few achievements and possibly a final boss to the game. No idea since I only have two level 46 characters (now) and have yet to even reach Ordrak.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360
#4Ratsneve(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2010 9:54:14 PM

STG Deathbot posted...
According to the Steam Achievement page, there only lies a few achievements and possibly a final boss to the game. No idea since I only have two level 46 characters (now) and have yet to even reach Ordrak.

Wolfdale

Wait a minute... What is this Steam Achievement page? I think I'm past the final boss battle but I've never seen any achievements and I'm playing the whole game via Steam.

#5dewprismsPosted 1/21/2010 9:57:04 PM
Shift+Tab, click Community, then click the stats under the Torchlight icon on the right.
---
Randomtask81: Atheism has everything to do with dinosaurs! Didn't you know that all dinosaurs were Atheists?! SO THAT'S WHY GOD EXTERMINATED THOSE HEATHENS!
#6Shale0Posted 1/21/2010 11:07:29 PM
Torchlight doesn't tell you when you've gotten an achievement, but they're in there.
---
It's a man's life in the British Dental Association!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/casualties/facesofthefallen.htm
#7Blue_Whistle88Posted 1/21/2010 11:18:18 PM
I can tell you for sure that the infinite dungeon is in fact, infinite, but I started a new character on hard immediately after beating the final boss on normal cause I was getting sick of normal, so I don't actually know myself where the infinite dungeon is. I know the Shadow Vault is the next step after beating the last boss, and it is the only other major dungeon so yes, I think it is that.
---
http://www.myspace.com/bluewhistle1988
http://www.last.fm/user/Blue_Whistle88
#8STG DeathbotPosted 1/22/2010 12:36:34 AM
Torchlight doesn't tell you when you've gotten an achievement, but they're in there.

You really need to pay attention better. As you earn the achievements, they appear in the top-left corner for about five seconds and then disappear.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360
#9Ratsneve(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2010 1:24:08 AM

STG Deathbot posted...

You really need to pay attention better. As you earn the achievements, they appear in the top-left corner for about five seconds and then disappear.
---

Maybe so but I missed seeing every one and discovered (thanks to the prompts in another's message) a new area of Steam I had never visited. Under TL I found I had 20 achievements. Now I'll have to see if I'm fast enough to see the achievement appear for five seconds in the game. :) Since I'm basically done that isn't likely to happen with this game. Maybe Left 4 Dead 2? No, I will likely need to use the trainer for that one. :(

#10Ratsneve(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2010 1:42:17 AM

So far it looks like each floor of Shadow Vault is taken from a theme area previously visited in the Main Dungeon. It says it in the upper right corner. Floor 1 isTomb of the Awakend; 2 is Black Palace; 3 is Lost Fortress; and 4 (which I am just starting--if I continue?) is Estherian Ruins. The floors look very much like you've been there before. It would be far nicer if these levels in Shadow Vault did not relate at all to the main dungeon. In a way the rest of the game now is just like sandboxing...

I found the Steam Achievements for Torchlight--I have 20. I also noticed that my Steam Rating is 10--whatever that means.

Just in case they've never been mentioned before... I played the whole game with the camera zoom all the way out. And lastly, when there is a lot of action going on I can easily lose sight of where the mouse cursor is. To find it I sometimes moved it out of the battle to locate it and then move it back in. I'm not sure what a better solution would be but I also discovered that once a baddie is highlighted the fight goes a lot better if you hold the mouse button down until the fight is over and thatyou can, while still holding the mouse button down start fighting another immediately near the one just killed.