Bow/Rifle vs Pistols

#1FiachPosted 7/25/2010 2:45:12 AM
I was thinking of playing as a bow/rifle character, but pistols totally blow them both away from what I can see, as you can DW two awesome pistols that give vastly more damage than one rifle or bow, plus with Ranged mastery and DW added to the pistol damage, it makes them appear as though rifle and bow are redundant.

Thats what I figure from what I hav e played so far (lv25).

Am I missing something obvious, that makes rifle/bow more useful or even equal to pistols ?

Hope that makes sense lol.

Thanks in advance :)
---
DONT FEED THE TROLLS, USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION, STARVE THEM TO DEATH.
#2Deaths_BladePosted 7/25/2010 3:37:01 AM
2 Pistols are better than a bow, providing several conditions are met:

a.) You get a pair of pistols that are more powerful than the bow in question
b.) You spend 20 points on DW and Ranged rather than just 10 points on Ranged. Some characters don't have that many free points, such as heavy magic users, who need to upgrade their spells.

If you can find a powerful pair of pistols, and spend the points then they become very effective. However, the random nature of the drops and shops makes this far from certain when planning an effective character building strategy.

On my recent Vanquisher playthrough, I found an outstanding pair of pistols very early on in the game, but that was luck.

It's a luck thing, unfortunately.
---
Women are like a missile defence system: even those trained in their use have no idea how the hell they work. - Mast3rOfPupp3ts
#3Fiach(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2010 3:53:32 AM
Thanks, yeah I found a couple of excellent pistols early on, even subsequent orange bow/rifle drops came nowhere near their damage output, so I just wondered if I had missed something regarding the differnt builds.

Thanks again.
---
#4GoldenVoidPosted 7/25/2010 12:39:03 PM
I would use whatever is the best weapon; it depends what drops for you. In general 2 pistols will be better because there are 2 of them (obviously). However, occasionally a Rifle will drop that is better, and you should use that. My advice is to level Ranged Weapon Expertise up to 10 before putting any points into Dual Wield. RWE is about 50% more damage per skill point than DW, and boosts all ranged weapons, so is totally superior.
#5Fiach(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2010 1:00:36 PM
Yes I have done that, I'm just asking, regarding my next run.

On further examination, It would appear that dual pistols, while having a cumulative (eg adding both pistols damage together) damage, that appears greater than a single rifle/bow, the game actually calculates the damage of the pistols seperately, for example each pistols damage is a single shot not the combined damage of both, so with a bow that is eg 350 dps, two pistols at 273 dps each, dont out damage the bow, ofc I guess the weapons speed is factored in somehow as well.

---
#6Deaths_BladePosted 7/25/2010 2:46:08 PM
, the game actually calculates the damage of the pistols seperately, for example each pistols damage is a single shot not the combined damage of both, so with a bow that is eg 350 dps, two pistols at 273 dps each, dont out damage the bow, ofc I guess the weapons speed is factored in somehow as well

The damage of each shot is dependent on the pistol. If you have one super pistol and one crappy pistol you will notice the dramatic difference between shots fired. However, some stats are averaged out, such as firing range and speed.

You can use this to create some quite devastating effects. For example, one pistol with knockback, another with stun. This causes an enemy to be stunned with one shot and sent flying the next, allowing you even more time to deal with an approaching hoard.
---
Women are like a missile defence system: even those trained in their use have no idea how the hell they work. - Mast3rOfPupp3ts