TV LAG and Monster HDMI Cable

#1hauntedrew999Posted 2/12/2011 12:25:28 AM
I just recently bought a new 46 Samsung 120mhz with TrueMotion Tech from best buy with a great deal. The problem occurred when I started playing there was a very noticeable delay between my controller movement and what I see on TV. I turned off the TrueMotion Tech and it's still really off. So I had a friend told me his COD and FPS games got better with a Monster Cable. They go for about 100 bucks but I grabbed one from Ebay for about 30$ Does anyone else have or had the same problem playing Black Ops or MW or any other FPS and do you think the Monster Cable (if anyone has one) made your gaming or just the picture better.
---
Hmmm...indeed.
#2500thcomplaintPosted 2/12/2011 12:46:54 AM
My brothers roommate and long time friend is a business computer technician and he gets standard HDMI cables for really cheap. He got me a Fibre Optics Audio cable and and HDMI cable for $15 CDN for both. Normmally they go for around $100 give or take, but my experience with them is great. And like I said, they're just standard cables. Try turning your TV onto GAME MODE if it has the option. It disables unnecessary image processing for video games.
---
"I would slap TC right now but I'm too busy facepalming"
#3OrangeWizardPosted 2/12/2011 1:14:04 AM
....Have you tried it with the Monster HDMI cable yet? You said you "grabbed one."
Does it work, or not? Shouldn't YOU know, if you do have one of those cables?

But no, super-cables are a scam. There is no such thing.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.
Period

The only difference is the length.
---
No one posts like Gaston!
#4BadVlad555Posted 2/12/2011 1:16:09 AM

OrangeWizard posted...
....Have you tried it with the Monster HDMI cable yet? You said you "grabbed one."
Does it work, or not? Shouldn't YOU know, if you do have one of those cables?

But no, super-cables are a scam. There is no such thing.

An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.
Period

The only difference is the length.

There is a massive difference in quality between "bargain" HDMI cables and the higher priced ones you see in Best Buy. My brother and his house mates tried cheaping out on the HDMI cable they bought for their PS3 and got atrocious audio quality and very sketchy video quality. When they bought the official Sony HDMI cable (the one I have) like I told them to, their problems immediately disappeared.

#5CallHimTheMayorPosted 2/12/2011 1:21:24 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are several TV's that have the input lag problem, try out all the picture modes and maybe you'll find one that works better, HDMI cables will not fix the problem, in fact it might be impossible to get a real time HD image (requires more processing). you didn't mention this but it's probably a plasma set, right? it seems the bargain plasmas are the usual suspects of this, great deal usual equals subpar TV in some shape or form. anyone else reading this cautionary tale, if your getting a new TV to game on, do your homework and consult the sales staff or you might have the unplayable experience this guy is having. don't go for the biggest, cheapest HD screen, sacrifice size for quality. a 1080p HD LCD is usually a safe bet for a gaming screen.
#6Unnamed HoboPosted 2/12/2011 1:56:02 AM
There is a massive difference in quality between "bargain" HDMI cables and the higher priced ones you see in Best Buy. My brother and his house mates tried cheaping out on the HDMI cable they bought for their PS3 and got atrocious audio quality and very sketchy video quality. When they bought the official Sony HDMI cable (the one I have) like I told them to, their problems immediately disappeared.

Nope. HDMI cables are purely digital. Either they work or they don't work. There is no difference between a $100 Monster cable and a $10 cable from Monoprice. Allow me to say that again, there is NO DIFFERENCE between a cheap HDMI cable and an expensive HDMI cable.
---
If I had the world to give, I'd give it to you
#7michael_k1dPosted 2/12/2011 2:00:36 AM(edited)
No, there's no such thing as quality HDMI.

It's just 1s and 0s. Data transfer speed is the exact same for any HDMI cable. Old fashioned audio cables were different, since "quality" audio cords would have certain things like gold lining that would cut down on interference, which would legitimately increase the quality. HDMI has no such interference. You wasted $20~ because any random HDMI cable can go for $10~.

OrangeWizard is right, BadVlad555 is wrong. The end.

Sidenote: BadVlad, you were probably blinded by the brand. Or you just bought a broken cable, because there is no difference, and that is the pure and simple truth. No amount of anecdotes will change that fact.

EDIT: Unamed Hobo is also right.
---
Took me 5 years to get to (32) Legend. I wonder how long it'll take to get to (33) Elite....
#8Zed7777ZR1Posted 2/12/2011 4:15:36 AM
i have to ask what is a " monster " cable ...?

i've got an LG 60" plasma TV with HDMI setup ...

so what is a " monster " cable ...?
#9CorporalJigsorePosted 2/12/2011 4:31:53 AM
Monster is a brand.
---
PSN: The_Angry_Ewok
http://www.last.fm/user/AntikristPanzer
#10_decitronPosted 2/12/2011 4:42:19 AM
and i quote

CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your local electronics store