Is Black Ops 2 a brand new game engine?

#1Pyronix337Posted 4/22/2012 6:46:05 AM
Or are they using MW3's, as the original Black Ops did with MW2?
#2delimanPosted 4/22/2012 4:05:08 PM
Why would they bother with a new graphics engine? That would be like...soooo inconvenient and stuff.
#3Kharn99Posted 4/22/2012 5:11:42 PM
The original Black Ops DID NOT use the MW2 engine. It actually used the WaW zombies engine.
---
Apples.... Oranges....
WHO. IS. DEADLIEST!?
#4CashDudeHomiePosted 4/22/2012 5:55:21 PM
Black Ops was a highly customized WAW/COD4 engine.

Black Ops 2 will no doubt be a further tweaked version of the same engine.

Xbox 360 is way too deep into its life cycle to make a new engine. There is just not enough horsepower and memory to do anything worthwhile and keep the game at COD's standard 60FPS.

While WAW was basically a reskinned COD4, Black Ops played very differently. I'm sure Black Ops 2 will make even more improvements and further separate itself from the IW games.

With Halo 4 coming out at the same time and the community's mostly negative reaction to MW3, I'm sure Activision threw tons of money at Treyarch to make Black Ops 2 an amazing game.
---
"I think it's 7lbs... that's how much the wiimote weighs."
-HarukoBass
#5Mike_VanderzandPosted 4/23/2012 9:14:21 AM

The original Black Ops DID NOT use the MW2 engine. It actually used the WaW zombies engine.

Doesn't matter, it's all based on CoD4, which is based on CoD2, which is a Quake 3 engine mod.
---
Walshy knows I'm a BEAST, PROOF:http://youtu.be/_YJ_OTU3-EQ
Sub my channel: http://www.youtube.com/mikevanderzand
#6CorpNothingPosted 4/23/2012 11:46:35 PM
Mike_Vanderzand posted...
Doesn't matter, it's all based on CoD4, which is based on CoD2, which is a Quake 3 engine mod.

It does matter. It's like when Creationists say "I know I didn't come from no damn monkey," when the science behind evolution doesn't say that we descending from apes, but rather than apes and humans descended from a common ancestor. The game engines that IW/Sledgehammer and Treyarch use may share a common ancestor (COD4's engine, and the "heavily modified Quake III engine" before it), but each developer has taken their game engines in different directions since the release of COD4 and World at War.
---
i7 920 | MSI 2GB GTX 560 Ti SLI | 6GB OCZ Gold DDR3 | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Antec 900
#7Mike_VanderzandPosted 4/29/2012 12:38:04 PM

It does matter. It's like when Creationists say "I know I didn't come from no damn monkey," when the science behind evolution doesn't say that we descending from apes, but rather than apes and humans descended from a common ancestor. The game engines that IW/Sledgehammer and Treyarch use may share a common ancestor (COD4's engine, and the "heavily modified Quake III engine" before it), but each developer has taken their game engines in different directions since the release of COD4 and World at War.

It's still COD and it's still (99% similar to the other builds)
---
#8CorpNothingPosted 4/29/2012 1:30:13 PM

99% similar? "Similar" is an arbitrary, subjective term, so where do you make the distinction between what's "similar" and what's different? Do you have access to the raw game code?
---
i7 920 | MSI 2GB GTX 560 Ti SLI | 6GB OCZ Gold DDR3 | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Antec 900
#9Mike_VanderzandPosted 4/29/2012 5:01:25 PM

99% similar? "Similar" is an arbitrary, subjective term, so where do you make the distinction between what's "similar" and what's different? Do you have access to the raw game code?

It's the best we can do.

Just look at the game FFS.

All the gameplay mechanics from CoD4 are still there in MW3 with very minor tweaks.
It's the same engine
there's what? like 2 new gametypes?

If I had access to the code my 99% would probably not be far off.
---