Fertilizer?

#1Marioman244Posted 12/13/2009 3:42:39 PM
How often are you supposed to buy it? I kind of just started and it seems really expensive. For example, I bought 60 seeds of lettuce which wasn't that expensive...then I went to look at fertilizer and I could barely afford 20. It didnt seem worth it if it only upgraded the soil level by 1 (the soil wasn't too great to begin with). Do you only put it on soil spots that are level 1 or something? I can't see this being practical unless you have a ton of money.
#2Voda20Posted 12/13/2009 3:57:22 PM

Don't buy it for lettuce - fertilizer only speeds up grow of crops, it's does not affect quality or anything. Lettuce grows in 5 days no matter what.

It's for crops that say "mature in 5-8 days" you would need fertiizer to get more harvests. It's useful for something like cabbage and strawberries, or honeydews; not for lettuce or tea leaves.

If you just starting out, it's expensive, too, but later on it's OK - especially considering if you ship a lot of crops in season you get free fertilizer according to your farming degree.

As far how to apply it - I know someone said they only apply certain squares to save money, but that does not work for me, since week later other squares go down in ranks and crops do not mature evenly. I prefer just use happy fertilizer twice a month on field there I grow crops that need to be fertilized.

#3konalizziPosted 12/13/2009 4:11:16 PM

No, fertilizer absolutely affects quality of the crops. You cannot get shining crops from poor soil. The percentage of good crops goes up for each level your soil is improved. Check out Detroit DJ's guides for a complete explanation.

#4Voda20Posted 12/13/2009 4:14:31 PM

konalizzi posted...

No, fertilizer absolutely affects quality of the crops. You cannot get shining crops from poor soil. The percentage of good crops goes up for each level your soil is improved. Check out Detroit DJ's guides for a complete explanation.

Sure you can. I just bought 3rd field and never fertilised it - get same % of shining crops as on fertilised field - and it is VERY poor soil. Trust me, I tested it with fertilizer and without in the beginning - same %.

You cannot get shinning crops till you ring green bell, tho.

#5Voda20Posted 12/13/2009 4:19:22 PM

PS - just wondering if Detroit's test based on JP version or US? My tests show completely different results from his - as I posted.

#6Marioman244(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2009 6:12:22 PM
Well I was only going to buy it for the lettuce since the soil quality was god awful, and going by ToT mentality, buying fertilizer came to mind

I do not like the 5 freakin levels of soil though, couldn't they keep it simple and stuck with 3 :|? 4 fertilizers on ONE SPOT just to get a higher chance of a shining/perfect crop? That sounds ridiculous with the price they charge for it.

I'll adapt I suppose...
#7konalizziPosted 12/13/2009 11:18:56 PM
Wow! I stand corrected and will relax about the fertilizer. Thanks!