Revisiting the game. worst fast travel EVAR

#1mrmontiePosted 5/11/2012 2:01:12 PM
I played about half of this game before setting it aside for about a year. Going back to it after so long took quite a while to readjust. I only vaguely remembered the storyline and the game mechanics.

One thing I'd forgotten about was how terrible the fast travel and map are. I've seen worse maps. Witcher 2 probably takes the cake for the worst one in a really long time.

The teleporters though? There is really no point to them, as many topics have covered. Navigation overall in this game is pretty tedious if you have to go back to look for something. Having to dungeon crawl again most of the time is fairly inexcusable.

I know its also been said that there isn't much of a reason to backtrack. Clearly the game was designed with this idea in mind. Then why leave it an open world? why not close areas off after you move on?

Just recreational ranting on a board thats been dead for a long time. As you were.
#2mrmontie(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 2:25:43 PM
Oh nice. Evidently I've fallen into the trap of others before me and now made it so that I can't complete the game. After activating both beacons in Thornaria or whatever I got the feeling that I needed to back track and finish up any leftover quests since the end was coming near. I'd missed Jabo on the way through so went back to find him. So I enter the cave that lets you knock down the rubble and go back to whatever the area was before Tooshoo. Why have this damn passage as it leads to trapping you 2 hours later?

Now the gate in front of the forge is forever down and I can't get back up the ledge in the gorges where the priest is hanging out. Nice work people.

I guess I can load a save since I got the watchdog achievement, but its very annoying. If a game is going to be this linear then make it linear and stop pretending to be a sandbox.
#3OgesMCPosted 5/11/2012 2:50:15 PM
Valid points indeed but it's still an enjoyable game.
---
35 Lightnin'
#4mrmontie(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 4:06:41 PM
OgesMC posted...
Valid points indeed but it's still an enjoyable game.

true. Got onto it after discovering Risen in a ten dollar bin and really liking that one. Looking forward to the sequel.

So far the game is decent, but would have been much improved by an easier navigation system.
#5OgesMCPosted 5/11/2012 6:14:01 PM
Have you played Two Worlds 2? Divinity II? Lovely games that certainly have more <off the beaten path> exploration.
---
35 Lightnin'
#6mrmontie(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 9:36:03 PM
OgesMC posted...
Have you played Two Worlds 2? Divinity II? Lovely games that certainly have more <off the beaten path> exploration.

keep hearing about 2 worlds 2, but haven't tried it out. played demos for the first templar and dragon's dogma this week and thought they were both kind of horrible.

Kingdoms of Amalur seemed decent, but looked more like an action grinder rather than a storyline/exploration sort of game.
#7weride2diePosted 5/20/2012 9:19:45 PM
mrmontie posted...
OgesMC posted...

keep hearing about 2 worlds 2, but haven't tried it out. played demos for the first templar and dragon's dogma this week and thought they were both kind of horrible.

Kingdoms of Amalur seemed decent, but looked more like an action grinder rather than a storyline/exploration sort of game.

get two worlds 2. the SP is mehhh but the MP is amazing. without or without playing with multiple people. PVP is not well done but the missions are well done and very enjoyable. the magic system will blow your *** off
---
gt: KSI tomashart24. Yeah I joined a gaming community.
#8OgesMCPosted 5/21/2012 4:43:13 PM
I felt the opposite lol. Loved single player but felt the MP was lacking.
---
35 Lightnin'