Lord of the Night

#1YD_MiscPosted 8/20/2011 3:44:39 AM
Despite me not having read any of the Night Lords' novels (Still none can be found available at my local bookstore) and only read the synopsis online, I just got the idea of how a Night Lords game could be a good stealth game (Maybe like Splinter Cell/Tenchu/Manhunt). Could be a good start for a CSM focused game.
#2whiskeytango86Posted 8/20/2011 8:51:57 AM
While I'd love a CSM focused game, I'm not sure that would be the way to go about it. The Night Lords practice large scale semi stealthy warfare, not really stealth in the same vein as the games you mention. It's hard to be stealthy when you're a 7 foot tall superhuman who weighs a ton in metal armor with giant bat wings on your head
#3YD_Misc(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 9:25:07 AM(edited)
Tell that to their primarch :|

... Yes, I read/heard the Dark King... I still have no idea how his guards (when Rogal Dorn put him under suspension I think) didn't notice him when he was about to escape. Maybe Night Haunter knows how to levitate or something >_>
#4MechWreckerPosted 8/20/2011 3:36:11 PM
If I remember correctly, Night Haunter, otherwise Konrad Curze, had a jetpack.

Anywho, the Night Lords are my favorite Chaos Legion. A game based around them would be awesome. It could play out like the Predator levels in the most recent AVP game. You sneak around an Imperial guard base and set up traps and scare zones to lure the humans into. Then you rip them apart with your talons!
---
They raided my fridge, stole my wallet, and T-Ped my house. I'm going to London. GT: Red Wolf696
#5jezz555Posted 8/20/2011 7:45:39 PM

the night haunter didn't have a jetpack he just jumps like the incredible f***ing hulk but anyway.

The night lords are not stealthy. There is a quote in Soul Hunter(the night lords series) by Konrad Curze (their primarch), that says "The element of suprise is useless" more or less that its better that the enemy is aware of your coming and afraid of it rather than that you initially take them by surprise and they eventually rally and defeat you.

The alpha legion practice stealth, the night lords practice hit and run/terror tactics which sometimes fall in line with what you are call stealth, but stealth for a space marine is something of a relative concept. Active power armor makes a teeth chattering vibrating noise, their bullets explode and their swords have loud motors in them, or crackling energy fields. Furthermore while I love the NL and chaos in general, I doubt we will ever see a chaos based game.

#6YD_Misc(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 3:40:34 AM(edited)
The one who has the Jump pack is the Talon Master, Zso Sahaal (I think).

True that for Konrad Curze, the element of surprise is useless, but reading how he kills his victims is he uses the darkness to his advantage. The enemy knows he is coming but they don't know where he is and they know they are going to die.

What I read from the Alpha Legion in the wiki and Lexicanum seems rather .. Hard to believe.

Spoilers...

They are allied with Chaos but secretly in favor of the emperor? Really? Haven't read any novels about the Alpha Legion but, really?

Also, Zso Sahaal betraying the Night Lords, as mentioned in Soul Hunter, escaped with an Inquisitor's assistant.... I seriously need to read that book! >_>
#7ParaSpartanPosted 8/23/2011 2:51:17 AM
Niiiight Looooords! /Kyle. 40K Radio for the lulz
---
~~SUPER SONIC FIGHTER~~
Sonic the Hedgehog FTW!
#8jezz555Posted 8/23/2011 3:40:53 AM

YD_Misc posted...
The one who has the Jump pack is the Talon Master, Zso Sahaal (I think).

True that for Konrad Curze, the element of surprise is useless, but reading how he kills his victims is he uses the darkness to his advantage. The enemy knows he is coming but they don't know where he is but they know they are going to die.

What I read from the Alpha Legion in the wiki and Lexicanum seems rather .. Hard to believe.

Spoilers...

They are allied with Chaos but secretly in favor of the emperor? Really? Haven't read any novels about the Alpha Legion but, really?

Also, Zso Sahaal betraying the Night Lords, as mentioned in Soul Hunter, escaped with an Inquisitor's assistant.... I seriously need to read that book! >_>

dude just read it then. Each book is only like 8 bucks and both LOTN ans the soul hunter series are awesome. Furthermore, think of the nightlords less as ninjas and more as terrorists. and yes, really I dont see why the concept of a double agent should be hard to believe for you.

#9Rising_shadowPosted 8/23/2011 7:33:39 AM
The night lords are not stealthy. There is a quote in Soul Hunter(the night lords series) by Konrad Curze (their primarch), that says "The element of suprise is useless" more or less that its better that the enemy is aware of your coming and afraid of it rather than that you initially take them by surprise and they eventually rally and defeat you.

That's actually not true. That's one more bastardization Soul Hunter did to the Night Lords.
The Night Lords favour stealth tactics combined with terror tactics. They make their presence known but they never show themselves openly. Their use terror tactics to frighten and make the enemy panic and then pick them off easily from the darkness. After the fighting is done, only then do they show themselves openly to cow the enemy into fear.

Of course, they're nowhere near as stealthy as the Alpha legion, which favours infiltration and misinformation tactics than stealth by itself. And yes, the Alpha Legion originally joined Horus as double agents. Since they were fearful that the Emperor defeating Horus would result in an even worse scenario than the current one. That doesn't mean the current Alphas either know about this or that those who do haven't gone over to Chaos.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#10YD_Misc(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 10:04:50 AM
jezz555 posted...
dude just read it then. Each book is only like 8 bucks and both LOTN ans the soul hunter series are awesome. Furthermore, think of the nightlords less as ninjas and more as terrorists. and yes, really I dont see why the concept of a double agent should be hard to believe for you.

Local bookstore limitations and that I don't live anywhere near america makes access to those books hard. They do have Blood Reaver for sale though so there's that.

I think of em less like ninjas and more like predators... Like an army of metal plated more bad-ass version of nargacugas from Monster Hunter.

Hard for me to believe as there are no articles pertaining to where their true allegiance lie. Do they still aim to be the Imperium's saving grace as a renegade legion despite their initial plan getting totally messed up or have they truly embraced the touch of Chaos? I say renegades as I doubt the Imperium would like to have them around after so long of allegiance with heretics and for what Alpharius did to Guilliman.