backup your brink save file in case of save data corruption!! ( PS3 version )

#1xenomorph3001Posted 5/13/2011 4:49:44 PM

this morning, i loaded up brink and a message popped up saying that my save data is corrupted, i lost all progress, even my game option settings, i had to restart from scratch. i don't think it's my system problem, my ps3 has always been stable. this is actually the first time a game told me that data was corrupted.

now from what i have been looking at on the internet, save file corruption is a known issue on PC version and a patch is out for that platform. however now it looks like save file corruption is also present on PS3 version, even though a lot rarer. on bethesda official brink tech support forum, 2 other guys mentioned this in a thread regarding this, so now there are 3 known cases so far. it's rare, but better to be safe than sorry.

you can backup your data with a usb thumb drive, just copy the brink save file from your ps3 to your flashdrive. or if you have ps3 plus, and when sony pulled its head out its ass and get psn backup, you can simply backup online.

you don't have to backup every time you play, just at milestone intervals, say backup your data when you char reach lvl 10, lvl 15 and lvl 20.

can't wait to play with you guys online when psn is back online!!

#2Valor_PhoenixPosted 5/13/2011 7:13:38 PM
It's a hard drive problem.

Stuff happens.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris ~ Bone Ravens
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#3xenomorph3001(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2011 10:51:06 AM
well it might be that the save file got dropped into a bad sector on the hard drive. it's possible. however i really wish SD would implement a better save system. one save file is a recipe for disaster. as gamers we all know the merit of creating multiple save files in any games. but with only one save file for ALL your progress is a bit risky. i mean brink saves a lot, you change your appearance, it saves, you change your weapon it saves, finish a map it saves. if the save file happens to get dropped on a bad sector on the hard drive, or if you have a power blackout when it saves, or game crashes during map change when it saves, you are screwed. i still strongly suggest you guys backup your save file, i mean you don't want to have multiple lvl 20 chars and then a stupid save corrupt wipeout all your progress, do you ?
#4eastman1982Posted 5/14/2011 12:35:37 PM(edited)
u know me and my son both have a 250slim and i have personally never encountered this on anything but my son has had mafia 2 fiffa 11 and some cod settings all have corrupted data and forced him to reset its not the game its just the consoles with gremlins and sounds like yours got gremlins
---
"I got your back like a butt crack!"
psn user Darth_Eastman
#5xenomorph3001(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2011 4:53:04 PM

eastman1982 posted...
u know me and my son both have a 250slim and i have personally never encountered this on anything but my son has had mafia 2 fiffa 11 and some cod settings all have corrupted data and forced him to reset its not the game its just the consoles with gremlins and sounds like yours got gremlins
---
"I got your back like a butt crack!"
psn user Darth_Eastman

time to find and punish these evil gremlins lol, still it's a good practice to backup your data hehe

#6wmattmPosted 5/14/2011 5:14:24 PM

I lost 2 level 50's on Borderlands that way, it happens sometimes.

#7EAimsPosted 5/14/2011 5:24:15 PM
My game froze up the other day and when I came back I got the Save Data corrupted error. I was pretty pissed but tried loading it one more time and it worked.
#8Silent_21_SnakePosted 5/14/2011 5:27:54 PM
Dunno that's related to the game, i think just the console. Had it happen to me a couple times on my older machine, but back up my saves religiously after i lost a obscene amount of fallout 3 save data.

Just pop a pendrive in and transfer onto that, really quick and easy without faffing around with all the internal jargon on the console itself.. formatting and all that technical what-not
---
"In my restless dreams. I see that town..Silent Hill"
#9DarkcoreaurorisPosted 5/14/2011 6:26:06 PM
It might not be a HD prob, I just got the new PSN update and I got back on Brink to find my data was now corrupted.
#10Lancer_SeraphPosted 5/14/2011 7:01:30 PM
I've looked around online and can't find any more info on 3.61 corruptions, but is BRINK the only save data that's been corrupted or is it other saves as well? Just need to know whether to spend a while backing up my save info.