Why is he called Eggman and not Dr Robotnik?

#11CreatureSH_IIPosted 2/25/2010 8:55:20 AM

Yes, like the person above said, his name's always been Eggman in Japan. What I hate is when the Sonic fans here in the US get so mad when Sega refers to him as Eggman even though it was his name to begin with.

Well, technically, Sonic The Hedgehog was originally developed by Sega USA and released in the United States first, so his name was Robotnik first and foremost.

---
Wooah, Mommy ! You made that I-see-monkey-eat-blue-pineapples sandwich again !
#12Effexor2345Posted 2/26/2010 6:45:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTyKQsvmQIg

What difference does it make? It's the same guy! For all we know, Sega of Japan and Sega of America were more in contact with each other, so instead of deciding on one name for the new 3D games WITH DIALOGUE, they combined the two so that Eggman is the nickname, whereas Ivo Robotnik is his given name.
---
King Dedede: He's not emo/whiny/lame like many other characters and he does evil things for the lulz.
~Mabjerk
#13Lost7thPosted 2/27/2010 1:51:22 PM
Why the hell are people still asking this STUPID question?

because he was Robotnik for damn near 20 years so changing it all of sudden really seemed like nothing more than a sad attempt to appease today's disgustingly weaboo Japnophile market
---
PSN ID: BraveKing7th
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/97/iriaflip.gif
#14kinterpin890Posted 2/27/2010 2:22:04 PM
because he was Robotnik for damn near 20 years

As a previous poster wrote, he has been called Eggman since SA(1999), so he has been known as Eggman for more than 10 years.
#15Lost7thPosted 2/27/2010 8:07:15 PM
theissue is that this isn't an issue of correcting a minor translation error. Forever how long he's been Eggman in the US he was pretty much Cemented in American pop culture as Dr Robotnik. We had cartoons movies and comics for the longest time that called him that.
---
#16munky47879Posted 2/27/2010 8:40:28 PM
We could just have the best of both worlds and call him Eggbotnik.

---
PSN: Clisp
#17DejitaruDavisPosted 2/28/2010 3:57:36 PM
There is so much wrong in this thread, I don't even...ugh.

Anyone who says the US version came first is stretching the truth. The US version barely predates the Japanese -- it came out a month before Japan's version, which fixed a couple of glitches and has a few additional visual effects.

Both games would have been in production at the same time. The team was US-based, but was done made by Japanese developers.

'Robotnik' was chosen as it was deemed more American than 'Eggman'. That is why you grew up with it. Take off the nostalgia goggles if you honestly think 'Robotnik' is a cool name -- it's just some Russian-esque robot name.

By the way, even in the Genesis days "EGGMAN" was used in the actual game's backgrounds. You won't see Robotnik in-game.

You may have known him as Robotnik for >x< years, but Japan has known him as Eggman for roughly the same period of time. The continuity's are now merged; in Japan they have to accept his official last name is Robotnik. In America you have to accept his nickname is Eggman.

US fans get angry when he's called Eggman because to us, in our youth, he was always Dr. Robotnik. It'd be like if Nintendo suddenly started saying Koopa instead of Bowser, American Nintendo fans would throw a fit. For the same reason, Mega Man isn't suddenly called Rock Man in recent games.

Uh...the Mario cartoons actually used King Koopa. So I grew up knowing him as King Bowser Kooper. Peach was either Princess or Toadstool until Mario 64/Yoshi's Safari when they reverted to the Japanese name, Peach.

Mega Man translations are a mess. Most fans know his Japanese name is Rockman at this point. We grew up knowing he was a robot named Rock who became Mega Man, even though the joke didn't work...and now certain stupid translators thing he should have been a robot named "Mega" who became "Mega Man".

I'm not saying Rock is a normal name, but at least it's not a generic adjective. Plus, removing Rock entirely makes Roll make even less sense.

But that's a whole other topic.
---
http://www.daviscomics.com
Updated Mondays & Thursdays -- Bonus Comic Fridays! You'll be glad you visited.
#18Lost7thPosted 2/28/2010 7:21:41 PM
At least Robotnik sounds like an actual name. that pertains to robots.
---
#19BossHogginItPosted 3/1/2010 4:26:34 AM
As a 20+ year gamer the new nicknames of the late 90's definately made me made.
Why is King Koopa called Bowser?
Why is Princess Toadstool called Peach?
Why is Robotnik called Eggman?
Maybe they will call Tails, Miles the Fox in Sonic 4 if this keeps up.
---
Not Changing This Sig Until A Boston Sports Team DOESN'T make it to the playoffs. Welcome to Title Town.
#20CerberusEclipsePosted 3/1/2010 4:34:26 AM
Yes, like the person above said, his name's always been Eggman in Japan. What I hate is when the Sonic fans here in the US get so mad when Sega refers to him as Eggman even though it was his name to begin with.

Well, technically, Sonic The Hedgehog was originally developed by Sega USA and released in the United States first, so his name was Robotnik first and foremost.

Sonic Team was established in 1990 in Japan -- it was originally named Sega AM8, and the Sonic Team name was taken after they developed Sonic 1.

They didn't move to the US until after Sonic 1 was a success due to Yuji Naka's disdain for Sega of Japan's policies. This was around the time they began production of Sonic 2.

The characters and the first game were designed/developed in Japan. His name is Eggman. Period.

---
PSN: Rhoratio00 ~ Helmets: So it don't make a mess when I blow ya mind!
"...Meanwhile, back in the real world, he couldn't care less."