Does anybody else hate it when people call this game a "Mario Kart ripoff"?

#1TheGreatDebatePosted 2/13/2012 6:25:24 PM
Because I sure do. These Nintendo fanboys need to get off their high horse. They don't own the kart racing genre (technically, this isn't really a kart racer since it uses CARS). Also, unlike Mario Kart, each character has their own personal cars/bikes that reflects their personalities from their respective games. Mario Kart just sticks everyone into bland karts or bikes.

Also, Mario Kart just uses characters in Mario's universe (or related to, like Yoshi, DK, etc) while SaSASR will use anyone under Sega's ownership, which means we're given a more varied roster.

We also get mission mode. Not much of a rip off of Mario Kart here. I don't recall Mario Kart having any kind of mission mode.

Anywho, if people would look past the box art of the game, they'll realize that this isn't that big of a "ripoff". I wouldn't even call it a ripoff.
---
You can tell the difference between a real Christian from a fake Christian by what they do, not what they say.
#2Setnaro XPosted 2/13/2012 9:38:36 PM
Doesn't really bother me as much as the whole "why is Sonic in car" comment, and for some reason it's back now that the rumor of ASR2 is in the air. What's worse, even though ASR may have gotten a nice respectable score and appreciation, most if not all comments I've seen on the ASR2 articles have folks saying it's going to be terrible. Seriously, it bothers me when people can't seem to realize there CAN be such a thing as a spin off title. Or not even that, this isn't even a Sonic game. No more than how Smash Bros. isn't a Mario game.
---
http://setnaroxi.deviantart.com :: Gamertag: Setnaro X
Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe.
#3SR71haloPosted 2/13/2012 9:58:21 PM
First of all, this does count as a kart racer. It ignores realism for simple racing physics, more imaginative environments and it involves weapons that either attacks your opponents or gives you a boost. Oddly, you don't need to be in a kart to be considered a kart racer.

Second, it's hard not to compare a mascot kart racer such as this to Mario Kart, and this game did borrow quite a few elements such as similar items. I wouldn't call it a complete ripoff though, ASR is more original than most kart racers out there even if not 100% original.
---
Zombies are like sprinkles, they make everything sweeter!
#4CNashPosted 2/14/2012 1:12:34 PM
SR71halo posted...
First of all, this does count as a kart racer. It ignores realism for simple racing physics, more imaginative environments and it involves weapons that either attacks your opponents or gives you a boost. Oddly, you don't need to be in a kart to be considered a kart racer.

Going by that logic, Burnout Paradise is a kart racer...

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#5FredCat07Posted 3/14/2012 11:11:36 AM
Indeed, you're correct about Mario vs Sonic difference on cars - but you forgot that Mario can get various type of karts/motorcycle depend on console they appear and combine.

Like Mario can drive Middle and Big Kart as well as Motorcycle.

Sonic does not, just his own car in blue.
---
I used to writing a signature like you, till I took a bullet in the knuckle. ~Random signer.
#6Wario_manPosted 4/2/2012 12:09:11 AM
If it's a ripoff it is a ripoff that's somehow infinitely better than what it is apparently ripping off.
---
All your children are poor unfortunate victims of systems beyond their control, a plague upon your ignorance and the gray despair of your ugly life.
#7mrc900Posted 4/20/2012 8:52:30 AM
It doesn't bother me at all, there have been so many kart racers over the years it's a genre of it's own, and calling this a MK ripoff is like calling all fps games doom clones. It's just meaningless now.

Mario kart racers do have their own personal vehicles as well as unique ones based off enemies, power ups etc. They also allow you to use characters with each others karts/bikes.

I see what you're saying about character variety, but there are so many characters in MK these days, adding others from different games would just get out of hand lol.

Mario Kart DS had a mission mode and was released about 5 years before this...

Anyway, Imo, this is one of the best kart racers out, along with MK and CTR.
---
PSN/Steam = mrc900 XBL = RunicScarab
3DS FC = 2878-9575-3733 Marc
#8Kamikaze_KennyPosted 5/2/2012 10:08:26 AM
Just for the hell of it - as a previous poster pointed out, Mario Kart DS had a mission mode. Mario Kart DS also had different karts for different racers (Yoshi's being an egg, for instance).

But, basically, it IS a Mario Kart rip-off. Doesn't mean it's not good.
#9SR71haloPosted 5/6/2012 9:04:04 AM
Now that I think about it, why is it a Mario Kart rip off? Because it's a mascot kart racer? Well, then it shouldn't truly be a rip off of a game/series that practically started the genre. That's like saying Half Life and Halo are ripoffs of Doom because they're FPS'.
---
Zombies are like sprinkles, they make everything sweeter!
#10PedroMontanaPosted 5/7/2012 6:03:12 AM
SR71halo posted...
Because it's a mascot kart racer? Well, then it shouldn't truly be a rip off of a game/series that practically started the genre. That's like saying Half Life and Halo are ripoffs of Doom because they're FPS'.

Exactly, it started with Super Mario Kart 20 years ago, but it has grown into a (sub)genre.

Everyone who thinks otherwise also has to claim that Nintendo tried to rip off themselves with Diddy Kong Racing (N64/DS), Kirby Air Ride (GC), Donkey Kong Racing (GC, cancelled), Diddy Kong Pilot (GBA, cancelled) and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (Wii).
---
No More Heroes