I don't get this...What does the Ending mean?

#1DarkSkyeclipsePosted 9/8/2011 1:35:48 PM
******Spoilers in this thread for those who never played the game or so.

I'm sorry, I absorb things quite slow. And I don't get it. The Endings. I don't get Ending E, especially.

Here's the link for Ending E, shich can only be found in the book Grimoire Noir that was released in Japan.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VEIsGCY-qhAteyDzNqiITvCqH0D5seatCOYbfWDd9pU/edit?hl=en

Can anyone explain this ending?

And in my opinion, the endings are all interlinked = Ending A+B, followed by two paths C OR D. So basically in the game there is only 2 endings.

Ending A, which I'm not sure if after Gestalt Nier died why was he still in his shadowy form and before that was it just a flashback of the old happy times replicant Yonah and replicant Nier spent before everything else happened?
Ending B, I'm not sure about The american Nier version Nier gestalt.
But I saw in Nier Replicant that the dead Shadowlord was crying then his hair suddenly changed? And there was this background that slowly faded away ( what is that background actually? I thought I saw Devola and Popola)
and the cookie flashback thing, then yonah appeared again, thanking Nier for everything then giving him his half cookie. This time Gestalt Nier & Gestalt Yonah were in human form, and no shadowyness about Nier anymore.

I think Ending D is more of an official end, since mostly ending D is focused on. And Ending E is D's sequel...

So ummm, can anyone explain to me and relieve me of my headaches and questions?
Thanks. Unless I was too confusing and you don't get what I'm trying to say either...
._.
#2twisvelPosted 9/12/2011 1:53:04 PM
DarkSkyeclipse posted...
******Spoilers in this thread for those who never played the game or so.

I'm sorry, I absorb things quite slow. And I don't get it. The Endings. I don't get Ending E, especially.

Here's the link for Ending E, shich can only be found in the book Grimoire Noir that was released in Japan.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VEIsGCY-qhAteyDzNqiITvCqH0D5seatCOYbfWDd9pU/edit?hl=en

Can anyone explain this ending?

*stuff*

***MAJOR STORY SPOILERS

Ending A - Just a scene depicting gestalt nier and gestalt yonah (evaporates at window) meeting in gestalt afterlife.

Ending B - Background is just all the bosses and stuff you fight during the game. Cookie scene is probably a reference to the beginning of the game before both nier and yonah are gestalt'd. (The books at the beginning of the game turn people into gestalts if you touch them)

Ending E - Kaine reunites with Nier who is reformed by the Memory Tree from memories from what I can gather. The one that pushed Kaine was probably Weiss.

End result: The original gestalt (nier) is destroyed so the stabilizing substance (provided by gestalt nier) for other gestalts no longer exists.

Popola and Devola are killed, so the replicants in that area will eventually have no gestalts to pull data from (all gestalts eventually relapse from lack of stabilizing particle and die out) and can't be repaired, so they will eventually die out as well due to no reproductive capabilities. Replicant Yonah still dies as the black scrawl is never cured.

Some game info:

Nier touches a book out of necessity at the beginning of the game and Yonah accidentally touches one(?) Nier is an "Original Gestalt," one that can retain self awareness as a gestalt. Yonah begins relapsing (basically going crazy/berserk/lose self) right away. Relapsed gestalts are basically "shades." Nier cuts a deal with an organization and provides a particle from himself that stops other gestalts from relapsing, and they cryo-freeze Yonah for 1000 years to stop her from relapsing.

Fusing Noir and Weiss together was supposed to be a fail safe to merge all Replicants with their Gestalts forcibly but it never happens.

Project Gestalt was supposed to separate a person's soul from body to be later merged back together when the "disease" is long gone in the future. Turning into a gestalt makes you immune to the disease, unless you already have it when you are turned into one. (Yonah)

Since Yonah was turned into a gestalt when already having the Black Scrawl, her replicant also has it.

Replicants are made with data from the gestalt, and are supposed to have artificial intelligence, but they eventually develop sentience, or a way to think from themselves, like Replicant Nier does in the game.

Popola and Devola are androids that are basically caretakers of the replicants. They take data from gestalts and make/repair the replicants.
#3DarkSkyeclipse(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2011 10:55:54 PM
Cyb:
Thanks alot, I understand much more about all these now.
#4presea_loverPosted 9/16/2011 10:10:21 AM
All the endings are really depressing. There ultimately is no "happy" ending to the story.

There should have been a "surrender to the 'bad' guys" option. >_>
---
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater
#5Ferret75Posted 10/15/2011 10:44:37 AM
You have a bittersweet ending with the first ending.

Then it gets increasingly depressing until Ending D which is amazingly sad.