How do I increase damage output?

#1TheAshenianPosted 1/22/2014 3:20:23 PM
This is probably a simple question with a stupid answer.
I've been having a lot of problems on phase 3 the Armstrong battle. I think the furthest I got his health down was 60% before he finished me off. I went onto a few videos on youtube and noticed that the people on there are doing A LOT more damage than I am. They seem like they're doing a couple points of damage to him with every hit, whereas I'm doing damage in the decimals. A full blade mode meter takes off a couple percentage points, but how often do you really get to do that?
I've purchased the 5 upgrades that are available for my main weapon, but I honestly don't know if they are getting equipped. Does the game automatically equip the highest attack upgrade you've purchased, or do I have to do that manually?
Or is there something other than the 5 upgrades that I need to get?
I feel like if I could do more damage to him, I would be fine in this battle. Right now, I just can't survive long enough to chip away at his health.
#2GoldsicklePosted 1/23/2014 7:22:27 PM
Notice that Raiden is using a different sword when fighting Armstrong.

I think the only way to increase damage output of that is to upgrade it but I don't think the option for that exists until you finish the game.
---
My thoughts about Bioshock Infinite:
http://tinyurl.com/mn5ll4x (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
#3bnrulzPosted 2/4/2014 8:03:55 AM
Goldsickle hit it right on, you're using the Muramasa blade which, at the time of the battle, is completely un-upgraded. You're unable to upgrade it until after you beat Armstrong. Here's some tips that might make him easier:

- buy Defensive Offense if you haven't from the moves menu, when you run in to hit Armstrong hit him 2-3 times then do Defensive Offense. You should be jumping back right when he's starting whatever move.
- if he turns yellow and rushes at you WITH HIS ARMS UP, let him grab you. In that QTE you lose your sword but do lots of damage
- If you make it to the first part where he throws the rocks at you, then if you cut all the rocks you get 5 repair nanopaste. Save when you get to 5, that way if you have to restart, you'll start with 5.
- if you don't need the 5 nanopaste or don't want to deal with cutting the rocks, just ninja run towards Armstrong and you can avoid it altogether

Hope that helps. Be patient, with Armstrong it's a battle of patience, just try to whittle him down and avoid getting hit. Once you make it past the flying rocks and refill your nanopaste, he won't be able to stop you. good luck.
#4MR_SorenPosted 2/24/2014 6:47:13 AM
I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I upgraded the muramasa before beating Armstrong. Basically, I was utterly frustrated the first time I reached him on normal, so I took a break and tried some VR Missions. I won a bunch of BP doing the VR missions, so I figured I go into customize, and it let me upgrade the Muramasa there.

I then tried Armstrong again, and beat him without much trouble.

Oh, before I retried Armstrong, I also looked up which button is Lock-On. I think that helps too. It's RB, by the way. I was trying to click the stick to lock on like in DMC, and it wasn't working.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#5NazanirPosted 2/27/2014 5:29:22 AM
MR_Soren posted...
I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I upgraded the muramasa before beating Armstrong. Basically, I was utterly frustrated the first time I reached him on normal, so I took a break and tried some VR Missions. I won a bunch of BP doing the VR missions, so I figured I go into customize, and it let me upgrade the Muramasa there.

I then tried Armstrong again, and beat him without much trouble.

Oh, before I retried Armstrong, I also looked up which button is Lock-On. I think that helps too. It's RB, by the way. I was trying to click the stick to lock on like in DMC, and it wasn't working.

I highly doubt you upgraded it, unless you have beaten the game before, since it doesn't unlock till you beat Armstrong for the first time.
---
XboX GT - Nazanir