Controller problems or am I just bad?

#1irishman5705Posted 2/26/2014 9:05:53 PM
My controller is sitting at about 4 years old, and when I flick the left analog stick, it doesn't actually return to center, it just kind of sits there.

On to my question. I can parry the first hit in a combo just fine, but parrying successive hits becomes an issue. Sam was a massive pain because of this. Is this something I can blame on the controller, or do I just suck? Like I said, parrying in and of itself isn't an issue, but combos most certainly are.
---
GT: Irish H2
"Oh, my bad, I was high on gamefaqs again" - Oblivion
#2NazanirPosted 2/27/2014 4:23:35 AM
If it doesn't return to neutral I'd blame the controller, and I can see how that is a massive pain in the asd, due to how block/parry works.
---
XboX GT - Nazanir
#3KaryuPosted 2/27/2014 12:10:55 PM
I think the parrying relies on the stick going back to (at least around) the center, so with rapid parrying if your stick is loose its not going to do that putting you at a disadvantage.

Also brings up another problem, the decision to have getting out of dizziness be wriggling the stick is a bad one - NO game should ever have this, mashing buttons is relatively fine but constantly chucking the stick around is just gonna wear it out easier. I wish programmers would realize that.
---
I want to live till I die, no more no less.
#4irishman5705(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 2:02:45 PM
Karyu posted...
I think the parrying relies on the stick going back to (at least around) the center, so with rapid parrying if your stick is loose its not going to do that putting you at a disadvantage.

Also brings up another problem, the decision to have getting out of dizziness be wriggling the stick is a bad one - NO game should ever have this, mashing buttons is relatively fine but constantly chucking the stick around is just gonna wear it out easier. I wish programmers would realize that.

Not only is the stick loose, I'd say roughly 15% of the input area (radiating from the center) is functionally dead. This can be blamed on several years of Halo/CoD abuse. Was really hoping to not have to get a new controller just for this game. Seems like difficulties above normal are going to be impossible. I mean, I'm probably going to end up doing it, because holy **** this game is like crack.

Also, totally unrelated question. Do customization options I've bought (costumes, blades, etc.) transfer over through difficulties? Like, could I use the Fox Blade on VH to maybe make up for some of the parrying deficiencies without having to grind for it again?
---
#5joegt123Posted 2/27/2014 4:47:24 PM
Parrying Sam's combo's is a pain in the ass, yeah. There's something wonky in the timing. It's possible, just a pain in the ass.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#6irishman5705(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 8:04:27 PM
joegt123 posted...
Parrying Sam's combo's is a pain in the ass, yeah. There's something wonky in the timing. It's possible, just a pain in the ass.

After playing through Monsoon's fight a few times today, yeah, the controller is a pain, but I guess the timing was what was getting me, since I could parry Monsoon's combos easily.

D'oh well. Any tips for Armstrong?
---
#7joegt123Posted 2/28/2014 3:48:04 PM
Run around like a headless chicken, and watch for the cut spot on his back when he's doing his regen crap.
---
"It was not for quiet complacence he was given the name of 'Thunder God'."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)