New Super Mario Bros Wii 2 The Next Levels (hack)

#1Commander_BokkoPosted 5/27/2010 12:55:15 AM
Anyone else played this? It's a hack of the game with new enemies and new, more difficult stages. I didn't even know this existed until today. I've only beaten half of world 1 and it seems hard but more towards annoying than fun... Especially getting the first coin of stage 1-3 and all of stage 1-1.
---
You actually read signatures? What a waste of time!
#2Knuckles07Posted 5/27/2010 10:37:50 AM
Is it something somebody made using Reggie? I doubt it since there are new enemies and stuff...
---
Current Addiction: SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2
~ 2-time champ of the Great Marioverse Fight ~
#3Commander_Bokko(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 11:44:48 AM
I don't know. Probably. Actually, that "new enemies" stuff they said where I downloaded this seems to refer to old enemies with new attack patterns. Or at least there aren't any new ones in World 1, which is as far as I've beaten so far.
---
#4AdmiralQballPosted 5/27/2010 8:32:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5Red ShifterPosted 5/31/2010 4:58:22 PM
Please don't support projects made by thieving bastards who take other people's levels and package them for pirates.

Pretty much all of the hack's levels are stolen from the NSMBW File Depot. People actually put work into these levels, and no credit or permission were given for this hacker to use them. It was packaged as an ISO for pirates to use, rather than as a patch to the retail game. There was no attempt to sort the levels by difficulty, or even a test to make sure each level worked.

The following levels were stolen from me with absolutely no credit or permission given: 4-1, 5-3, 8-2, 8-Tower, 9-5, 9-7. This is basically every level I've released publicly except one. Other level creators also report having their work stolen.

Please don't support projects made by thieving bastards who take other people's levels and package them for pirates.
---
It's F-Zero. F-ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO!
Activision is the devil; Bungie is now an imp. -shadosneko
#6Knuckles07Posted 5/31/2010 5:53:24 PM
The File Depot place needs to charge people to download other people's levels (and the level creator gets a share of the money). If that were the case then I would put some of my levels up on there, lol...
---
#7Red ShifterPosted 5/31/2010 5:58:53 PM
I wouldn't. This is a hobby for me and I want people to enjoy my levels. Paying for levels seems not only shady and illegal, but something that would quickly leave a sour taste in people's mouths when people buy a really crappy level.

Custom level content should be free. End of discussion.
---
#8Knuckles07Posted 5/31/2010 6:07:20 PM
Eh I guess you're right - but I still think people should get paid in some way for their creativity that they are kind enough to share with others. : /
---
#9Commander_Bokko(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2010 4:51:23 PM
@Red Shifter

I wasn't exactly supporting it. I was just discussing it, since I had never seen it before and wasn't familiar with the level editor. I hadn't even played enough yet to know if it was good. Actually, I stopped playing this in World 2, cause it gets really buggy. And I actually did realize later that he hadn't made all of the stages, cause the quality of the level design is really inconsistent. Some stages are pretty fun, while others are just awful, consisting of just swarms of enemies with no real level design or basing their difficulty on invisible or intangible platforms.

Anyway, if you did this as a hobby, does it really bother you that much if some guy packs it up and puts his name on it? Yeah, it's kind of pathetic, but it wasn't really yours to begin with. I mess around with Game Maker as a hobby and know how hard level design can be, so it's not that I'm looking down on it or anything. But if you really want your work to be recognized as yours, you need to work on something you can claim as yours and not just a game edit. Making an edit of a copyrighted game is fine too, but you're gonna have to live with it belonging to everyone because that copyright will always prevent you from claiming it.

@Knuckles07

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.
---
#10Red ShifterPosted 6/3/2010 11:21:17 PM
In modding communities, there is an understanding that people don't pass other people's work as theirs and people don't distribute the game itself. I guess when Mario levels end up being separate files instead of a rom hack, there will be people who take them. He didn't even edit out the level information that Reggie can attach to levels, so I found out that he used my tower level as a base to make a (crappy) level.

My big problem was with him distributing the hack as an ISO. I would probably look the other way on everything else if he had chosen Riivolution patching as a distribution method instead.
---