IGN Top 100 RPGs

#1BrianCraigSmithPosted 9/14/2012 10:33:30 PM
#50: Golden Sun

As one of the first wave of great roleplaying games on the brand new Game Boy Advance, Golden Sun was a must have title for handheld gamers. Though the game was a bit of a throwback to the SNES RPG era in terms of overall tone, developer Camelot Software really took its time with the game, packing as much visual and musical splendor as possible in the 32-bit cartridge. There was also no shortage of content, with a massive multi-hour epic story and loads of options to choose from in how you approached the content.

What made Golden Sun especially unique was the innovative magic system. Based on the four elemental powers of air, earth, wind, and fire, the magic system relied on 28 magical Djinn players collected throughout the game. The Djinn not only gave players an opportunity to customize their characters, but also required the player to make meaningful tactical choices in each and every round of combat. Even better, the magic system was incorporated into the puzzles and exploration elements of the game, giving players a reason to think about spells outside of combat.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
#2Psalm51Posted 9/15/2012 12:50:20 AM
These lists are hard things to "connect" with as reference material is often obscure. Having said that, the GS series represents the perfect joining of JRPG gameplay with mostly simple physics problem solving. I know that alot of gamers (me included?) like repetitive action-RPGs best, but adding intelligent puzzling to our great hobby makes us feel smart. The first Professor Layton game made me feel like a dummy (yep, I stopped playing) while the puzzles in GS games make me feel good, once I've solved them! Anyway, 50/100 for the GS series sounds...er...about right.
---
King David, loved and forgiven, just like me!
#3nolincPosted 9/15/2012 5:16:29 AM
Based on the four elemental powers of air, earth, wind, and fire,.

T_ I

Well somebody didn't proofread their article...
---
TWSSted Mudcrab http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkI5iZmUs5Q
#4aak57Posted 9/15/2012 7:33:55 AM
That list was a massive joke, even for IGN. I mean honestly, they had Persona 3 listed as 69th, and Skyrim as #7.

I don't even.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#5l33t_ninj4_1337Posted 9/15/2012 9:48:20 AM
aak57 posted...
That list was a massive joke, even for IGN. I mean honestly, they had Persona 3 listed as 69th, and Skyrim as #7.

I don't even.

Are you S***TING ME??!?

IGN is now in negative respect numbers for me.
---
I am fully aware that my username is stupid.
In my defense, I made it when I was 14. I, too, was pretty stupid back then.
#6aak57Posted 9/15/2012 1:11:41 PM
Holy ****

I just noticed that Persona 4 is 90th.

90th.

ha....haha...hahahahahaha
---
#7RygonPosted 9/15/2012 1:29:39 PM(edited)
There are plenty of things to dislike about the list, but one thing I want to bring up is Final Fantasy Tactics ranked 14th, and Tactics Ogre falling behind at 56. The two games are nearly identical and I'm hard pressed to decide which I like more. The combat, the classes, the plot, the themes are all nearly the same. How do they determine that they are different enough in quality that 42 games lie between them? Because Final Fantasy has familiar chocobos? Because they played that one first?

If you look at other similar games that are spaced far apart like entries in the Pokemon or Persona series, you could say that the first game is placed higher for being original. But with Matsuno's tactics games, the second (and by it's nature, derivative) game is the more praised.
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#8FefnirOmega13Posted 9/15/2012 3:05:13 PM
This list is insanity, pure and incarnate.

A shortlist of rage, may end up being a long list of rage:

Mass Effect 1 in the top ten? really? REALLY REALLY? ME1 was garbage compared to it's sequel.

Super Mario RPG over the vastly superior Paper Mario/Mario+Luigi series?

Four Final Fantasies in the top 20?! And they're not even the really good ones, like VIII ,IX and X?!

Dragon Quest VIII 27th?!

Xenoblade Chronicles 41st!?

DQ5 49th?!!??!

Ah, there's Mass Effect 2. In 57th place.

TWEWY in 62nd place, it shouldn't even be on the list, raaaaage

Fable 2?! FABLE 2?!?!? WHY IS THIS EVEN ON THE LIST

No Dragon Quest IX?

brb foaming at the mouth
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#9aak57Posted 9/15/2012 3:21:06 PM
Mass Effect 1 in the top ten? really? REALLY REALLY? ME1 was garbage compared to it's sequel.

Actually, ME1 was far better in terms of being an RPG. I don't even consider ME2 an RPG, really. Maybe if you're also gonna toss in Borderlands.
---
#10l33t_ninj4_1337Posted 9/15/2012 4:05:12 PM(edited)
FefnirOmega13 posted...
This list is insanity, pure and incarnate.

A shortlist of rage, may end up being a long list of rage:

Super Mario RPG over the vastly superior Paper Mario/Mario+Luigi series?

Four Final Fantasies in the top 20?! And they're not even the really good ones, like VIII ,IX and X?!

Dragon Quest VIII 27th?!

Xenoblade Chronicles 41st!?

DQ5 49th?!!??!

Ah, there's Mass Effect 2. In 57th place.

TWEWY in 62nd place, it shouldn't even be on the list, raaaaage

Fable 2?! FABLE 2?!?!? WHY IS THIS EVEN ON THE LIST

No Dragon Quest IX?

brb foaming at the mouth

Just actually read the thing. Allow me to join you in you mouth-foaming...

ahem...

HOW IN THE NAME ALL SWEET T**TYF***ING JESUS IS FALLOUT 3 THAT MUCH HIGHER THAN FALLOUT 2!???!?!??!???!??!?!?!??!??!??!??!
HELL, WHY IS FALLOUT 3 IN THE TOP 10? OR THE TOP 50?? OR ON THE LIST AT ALL????

WHY THE N***** B**** C*** IS MORROWIND THAT LOW, AND WHY ARE BOTH OBLIVION AND SKYRIM ABOVE IT??????

Hey, look, two SMT games, glad to see somebody at IGN actually appreciates one of the best series ever. Both Persona games? Eh, okay, Persona is really good, but Nocturne really should've been on th- 90TH AND 69TH WHAT THE F***ING HELL IS THIS BULLS***??!?!!?

And why oh why is pokemon GSC not even on the goddamn list? They were a hell of a lot better than BW, although I suppose that could be nostalgia talking :/

And though I just complained about, excuse me while I go vomit at Morrowind not even making top 30, being below both Oblivion and Skyrim, AND SKYRIM BEING NUMBER F***ING 7.

This is quite possibly the worst list I have ever seen that wasn't made by some kid on a forum or their blog.

Also, I nearly put my fist through the monitor when I saw Shadowrun listed. Then I realized they didn't mean the 360/PC FPS game :P
---
I am fully aware that my username is stupid.
In my defense, I made it when I was 14. I, too, was pretty stupid back then.