My "The Perfect Run" gameplay.

#1PumpltUpTo11Posted 4/15/2013 10:40:30 PM
I got this star yesterday. Took me 37 minutes to beat it the first time. I decided to do it again so I could record it. How'd I do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRtM7LqX-Ks
---
"Let's pump it up to 11!" -Peter Moore, E3 07
#2pedigreehhh1088Posted 4/16/2013 4:07:02 PM
Awesome!
#3genandnicPosted 4/20/2013 6:44:10 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else hear the Song of Time at 0:53?
#4Rocky2418Posted 4/22/2013 1:15:33 AM
Wow, that was an impressive run. Specifically, clearing the 4th section without using a single cloud. I can honestly say I've never done that. That was gutsy - nice job. The battle with the 3 boomerang bros. (and one hammer bro) looked pretty precarious - it was tense just watching.

I don't know about you, but my first (and only) time clearing this, I was almost shaking with nervousness at that last battle. Very nerve-wracking. My older brother and I had cleared the stage together, once, back when the game first came out. But I didn't get around to playing through the game on my own until last year. Having experience with The Perfect Run, I had to psych myself up for it once I got to it, and just dive in. I planned to save and quit once I reached it, and start fresh the next day with 99 lives. But since I had 9 or 10 lives left, I decided to just make a few attempts as a warm up. To my sheer ebullience, I cleared it on my 6th try. I'm pretty sure I could try the rest of my life and never do it after so few tries again. I'm a good player, but I have to think I also got at least a little fortunate, and just had a run where everything worked. (So many things can go wrong on this run, and it only takes one to end it.) That said, I managed to reach the last section in 3 of the 6 attempts, so it wasn't a complete fluke anyway. For me, when I get to that last little area of the last section, I have to take out the hammer bro at the end. I just can't focus on the boomerang guys if I know hammers may be coming from behind. Also, not sure if you knew, but you can actually crouch and walk around, and all the boomerangs with go over your head. Of course, even if you knew about it, with the hammer guy still alive, that would not be the thing to do - ending the fight quickly would be wiser in that case, as you did.

Anyway, nice job. It's an extremely exciting and satisfying accomplishment, considering the extreme difficulty.

genandnic posted...

You mean with the switches? Yeah, I could hear what you mean. Probably just a coincidence. Several sets of 3 switches seemed to be making high tone -> low tone -> middle tone noise sequences. The actual notes may have been a bit different than the Song of Time, but the high-low-middle pattern definitely made it sound like it. I know, in general, that the tones are always synced to the part of the level music currently playing when you step on them.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#5friendlydudePosted 4/25/2013 11:27:44 PM
Amazing you were able to survive all that boomerang and hammer chaos while standing on the final platform- really looks like you should have taken a hit there! Well done.
#6Anlace74Posted 4/27/2013 4:13:42 PM
Very nicely done.

I hope to be able to do get that star some day.
#7PumpltUpTo11(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 11:42:59 AM
friendlydude posted...
Amazing you were able to survive all that boomerang and hammer chaos while standing on the final platform- really looks like you should have taken a hit there! Well done.

When spinning into the 2nd boomerang guy, a hammer happened to hit my fist while spinning. Really should've taken the hit. That was extreme luck.
---
"Let's pump it up to 11!" -Peter Moore, E3 07
#8Rocky2418Posted 5/7/2013 4:54:09 PM
PumpltUpTo11 posted...
That was extreme luck.

I think succeeding at this challenge will frequently depend on at least a little luck, sometimes more. We're not robots, so we will make some mistakes - little ones, if nothing else. If we're lucky, the mistakes won't cost us the run. I know that was the case with me, too.

You should definitely feel proud of your run. Whether luck is involved here and there or not, you still need to play extremely well to have a chance - and that you did.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#9Regan145Posted 6/3/2013 11:31:53 AM

Whoa... Yes.
---
LORD GHIRAHIM FOR SSB4