Twisty Trials

#1friendlydudePosted 5/12/2013 12:17:09 PM
I didn't know this stage came from Super Mario Sunshine. I never played Sunshine but it looks much faster and harder compared to this Galaxy version based on the fact Mario runs faster in Sunshine, so you have less time to react.
#2Rocky2418Posted 5/13/2013 3:26:30 PM
Yeah, plus the fact that in Sunshine, you didn't have the spin ability to change direction in mid-air (in addition to not having the F.L.U.D.D. for the first time through those "old school" levels). So you had to be WAY more careful and precise in Sunshine.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#3friendlydude(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 10:32:47 PM
I notice in the youtube video I was watching for Sunshine, the player was walking Mario to the left as the platforms were rotating (instead of jumping, which seems much safer) and doing it quite well. Makes me wonder if the same trick applies to Galaxy's Twisty Trials.
#4Rocky2418Posted 5/14/2013 9:40:35 AM
Yeah, you can walk over the turning edge, if you so choose - I have on occasion, when advantageous. But I think jumping is safer, since it makes you avoid contact with the surface during the most precarious time of the rotation. Because if you stay on one edge a bit too long or leave it a bit too early, you start sliding. And once that happens, you might be done for. Whereas during a jump, you let the thing rotate into a closer to flat position before you land.

So I still think that's the way to go, but that's just me.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#5BlanketPIPosted 5/14/2013 3:03:32 PM
There is one important difference that The Secret of Ricco Tower version has much more generous physics in terms of sliding versus running, than the Twisty Trials Galaxy version. While in Super Mario Galaxy 2, 60 degrees or so means sliding to one's doom, in Super Mario Sunshine, that doesn't happen until (approximately) 82.5 degrees, so long as one is running. If one excludes the Spin, Cloud Flower/Yoshi and Long Jump in this version, it is significantly more difficult than The Secret of Ricco Tower without the F.L.U.D.D.. That being said, those things weren't just left there in the game for no reason, so using them is what makes this version easier.
---
Sorry, can't talk; switching feet!
God has forged the tools of logic people use to denounce Him.
#6Rocky2418Posted 5/14/2013 3:56:46 PM
Huh, interesting. It's been a while since I've done Sunshine, so I don't remember things like that with any certainty. That said, I do sort of recall being able to run on remarkably vertical slopes. But I didn't play Galaxy 2 in a close enough time frame to that to notice the difference. Good to know.
---
#7friendlydude(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 10:57:35 PM
Good answers. Yeah, I think I'll stick to jumping since it's much safer, though for the sake of experimenting I'll do the walking trick my next time through anyway. I'll probably slide and fall but... it definitely won't be the first time :) By the way Rocky, Kelly Clarkson's "Irvine" still sounds incredible to me! I must have played it 30 times now!
#8Rocky2418Posted 5/16/2013 10:21:28 AM
Yeah... It'll always mean a lot to me.
---
#9friendlydude(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 1:35:25 PM
I tried walking instead of jumping in Galaxy 2 today, just for fun. Mario does a little automatic jump while going over the edge of each rotation, and it seems really unsafe so yeah, I'm sticking with jumping. I played through this level enough times that jumping seems pretty much a given to me anyway.