Green Star Somersault/Spin Help

#1TheRewsterPosted 5/15/2013 3:04:36 PM
So a lot of strategies I've seen suggest that for high-up Green Stars (like the ones at Flip-Swap Galaxy, where I'm currently stumped) say to stand underneath it, do a backward somersault, and then spin to get the necessary height to grab the Star.

Well, I tried first at Green Star 2 in Spin-Dig Galaxy and now on Green Star 1 in Flip-Swap, and even with Luigi it is literally impossible to get enough height. I stand underneath it (or as close as I can, given the blue/red panels), somersault, then spin at the very peak of my jump--and then I'm still too low. With Luigi too, not even Mario. (And I know this is going to come up for a bunch of Green Stars down the line, so I figured I may as well ask now.)

So I used a triple jump for Spin-Dig and got it okay. Guides also suggest the triple jump as an alternate strategy for Flip-Swap, but there is literally not enough room to execute a triple jump and get that Green Star. I've tried it; it is impossible.

So that exhausts me of those two options. Any help??
---
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.
#2Sparx555Posted 5/15/2013 5:28:25 PM
...um, for Flip Swap I managed to get both stars pretty easily with Luigi/Backflip/Spin. Make sure you're spinning at the peak of the backflip, I guess? Also, I think if you hold A while you spin you go higher, if that helps. :/
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#3TheRewster(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 7:03:06 PM
Yup, that was it--holding down A. For some reason I never thought to hold that button down while shaking (I let go of all buttons while shaking). But sure enough, that does give you extra height and makes that Flip-Swap Galaxy Green Star pretty easy--thanks!
---
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.
#4friendlydudePosted 5/15/2013 10:09:29 PM(edited)
I never knew holding down A makes the jump higher- does that work with both Mario and Luigi?

For the green stars in Flip Flop... Swap, what I do is, for the first star, triple jump while avoiding the moving electric beams, and for the second star I stand on the right of the shadow under the star on the platform, backflip and jump. You have to avoid the rolling chain chomp head of course, which is tricky the first few times.

The great thing about missing that second one is that, I won't die. Why? Because when I spin in the air, even though my intention is to grab the green star, if I miss I'll land on the *other* platform to the left that I unintentionally flipped over while spinning in the air so... I won't fall through. Saved by the platform!! :)
#5Rocky2418Posted 5/16/2013 9:29:51 AM
friendlydude posted...
I never knew holding down A makes the jump higher

I didn't know that either. But I've gotten high up stars using just the backflip and spin, so I guess I just always have held in A while I spin, without thinking about it. Never knew I'd have less height if I didn't.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#6friendlydudePosted 5/17/2013 12:32:25 PM
I think the same applies to me- I just didn't realize I was holding A during the jumps.