So I finally got all 120 stars...

#1FF8vsEverythingPosted 5/30/2013 5:23:54 PM
But it turns out there's 240 stars... The Green Star challenges don't seem very fun at all. Kinda just shoe horned into the game. Is it worth collecting them all? I saw what the "final" stage looks like, but it doesn't look like it's worth the pain of finding all these stars.
#2genandnicPosted 5/31/2013 8:44:49 PM
I thought some of the green stars were very cleverly hidden. I don't remember them being boring at all.
#3friendlydudePosted 6/2/2013 11:09:38 PM
I hate to be a negative nude Nancy, but those extra 120 stars with the green star challenge does not have any replay value at all, and I wish it hadn't been included in the game. It was fun searching for those green stars the first time, and maybe perfecting my jumps and timing the second time, but the third? Get out of my face!
#4StartTheMachinePosted 6/8/2013 2:31:44 PM
I had a great time time finding the green stars. I found them all twice even. The first time is definitely the better one though. It's a much better deal than doing the exact same stars again with Luigi like in the first level. Plus the final galaxy is the most challenging level in Mario history and a great reward. A lot of the green stars are more fun and cleverly hidden than you might think at first. Give it a go.
---
- Blur -
Welcome to your Divinity.
#5Random_Taco568Posted 6/9/2013 10:38:03 AM
It depends what reward you like TBH. I didnt really like them I only did them to get 100%, they are a chore IMO the only green stars I enjoyed are Shiverburns.
---
the saying YOLO (You only live once) is just an excuse of doing something idiotic.
#6Rocky2418Posted 6/18/2013 9:40:58 AM(edited)
StartTheMachine posted...
It's a much better deal than doing the exact same stars again with Luigi like in the first

This. At least there were 242 unique stars, instead of 121 - repeated - in the first game. That, indisputably, means it has more "replay value" than the first game. (I actually still like the first game better, for various reasons - such as the charming story presentation. But I can't deny that the sequel has more gameplay replay value.) I think, to better enjoy the green stars, it helps to shift your gameplay perspective. For the first half of the game, it's about trekking through specific, linear missions, often fighting various bosses. For the second half, it's a non-linear, and usually fairly clever and hard to reach, search quest. If you don't like search quests, that's fine. But it can't really be compared to the first half. It's a completely different sort of venture.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#7friendlydudePosted 6/21/2013 2:30:36 PM
The thing is, after you find all those green stars, do you really feel like doing it again on your next playthrough? It's kind of like finding Waldo again and again... in the same spot :)
#8Glem3Posted 6/26/2013 4:55:09 AM
Well, the green stars weren't all that memorable (save a few), so unless I'm just playing through the full game back to back over and over, I'd probably forget where most of them were by the next time I play all of them through.
---
Come join Super Mario Galaxy 2.5!
SuperMarioGalaxy2-5.com
#9EeqmcsqPosted 6/28/2013 12:56:43 AM
I thought the green stars were loads of fun for the puzzle solver in me. However, I can see how it could be a chore if I played through the game a second time.

It got me thinking about Mario64, and why I kept playing it again even when I knew where all of the stars were. I think part of the fun was getting to the star, and the other part is the feeling of "making progress" as I collected more.

I can definitely see how the green stars could have been something tacked on by the developers later in development. I think if they were mixed in and distributed with the regular stars, they won't seem like such a chore to get the 2nd or 3rd time.
#10friendlydudePosted 7/1/2013 5:19:48 PM
I agree!! Or maybe if when you 100% a stage the green stars open up then instead of after finishing the game with 120 stars. Or actually, better yet- put the green stars in a different spot each time you go through the game, so you're never sure where they'll be.