Why does more difficulty equal higher quality to so many people?

#11Rocky2418Posted 6/22/2013 11:42:21 PM
friendlydude posted...
I immediately got discouraged and never really bothered with it again.

Hey, sometimes that is the better option. One piece of heart is probably not worth aggravation or discouragement.

Have fun with Twilight Princess. It's my 2nd favorite Zelda game. (My favorite is Link's Awakening - a quality game, but mostly for nostalgia reasons. TP is #1 for me among the 3D Zeldas.)
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#12friendlydudePosted 6/25/2013 11:49:09 AM
I'm the weird one- I like the first NES LoZ the most. I guess I just remember how much I had to work through all those many obstacles and enemies and found it rewarding, and repeated playthroughs doesn't make it any easier. I can always feel satisfied when I'm able to complete it (both quests). I can't wait to get Twilight Princess. That will hopefully be the game I play through this winter.
#13Rocky2418Posted 6/25/2013 2:29:14 PM
friendlydude posted...
repeated playthroughs doesn't make it any easier

Boy, that's the truth. The two NES Zeldas are still the hardest of them all, I think. I've actually grown mildly fond of Zelda 2, but - similar to what I said regarding the SS mini-game - only because I persisted and got good at it.

The main reason I'm not enamored with those two games isn't so much the difficulty; it's the extremely 'Guide Dang It' nature of the games - if not the main quest stuff, then the other stuff. Specifically in Zelda 1 - the bombing of walls (or walking through false walls in the 2nd quest). It basically becomes a matter of bombing or pressing up against the middle of every wall in every dungeon, looking for secret rooms and shortcuts and whatnot. Or in the case of the overworld, bombing every part of every wall, looking for heart pieces or whatever else. That's not searching and discovering based on clues, it's completely blind trial and error. It's just not for me. To me, A Link to the Past is where the series became less frustratingly random and more polished, with very subtle markings on walls that could be bombed, for instance, if you looked close.

But those first games certainly have good aspects - they're just not the ones that I gravitate toward when I'm trying to decide on something to play based mostly on the fun element.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#14friendlydudePosted 6/25/2013 9:33:15 PM
I should have mentioned this, I have the old Nintendo Power issue that shows a map for both overworlds and dungeons of both quests, and it lists every single little thing so there's really no reason to search for anything on your own if you use this guide, since you won't find anything not listed. For years I've been using this map because it's beyond incredible. It's pretty much the only way I can go through the game (at least, the second quest) unless I develop the ability to remember all the right walls to bomb/walk through, but I doubt that will happen. My memory's slipping more and more as the years pass so those type of super helpful guides are very important for me.
#15Rocky2418Posted 6/25/2013 11:40:20 PM
Hence the term 'Guide Dang It'. :-) Elements in a game that are so obscure, random, and/or lacking in clues that you literally need a guide in order to find things. Older, NES-era games were frequently like that. And while I do like plenty of NES games, I just never cared for things in games that actually require a guide.

Those do sound like incredible maps, though. What issue was that? I'm guessing one of the first five - maybe even number 1. I subscribed to NP from approximately volumes 50 to 200. At one point, I purchased almost all of the first 50 issues on ebay. But eventually, I decided to sell them. Even still, just curious about the issue.
---
#16friendlydudePosted 6/27/2013 4:09:49 PM
I'm not sure which issue that guide came from since, like a fool, I ripped it out of the magazine 20 years ago. I've been keeping it beside the Zelda game for years now. Issue 50 is memorable to me since I consider it the peak of my video game excitement, all those years ago. I have that issue locked up in a plastic bag in perfect condition. That's a little baby nobody will be touching, lol.
#17Rocky2418Posted 6/27/2013 7:55:47 PM
Ah, number 50 - the Link's Awakening cover. Unfortunately, I never had that one (unless it was one of the ones I later got on ebay). I remember I bought 49 from a store, and then started my subscription, which ended up starting with 51. Funny thing is, Link's Awakening ended up becoming my all-time favorite Zelda game.
---