I'm gonna ask a question, and I want some honest answers from you all..

#1metroidfreakv4Posted 6/16/2013 12:53:31 AM
Okay.. Basically.. Well idk where to exactly start.

I'm playing through my n64- wii mario games because I'm bored. Sunshine and 64 were great. Loved em both besides sun shines blue coin thing. Neither were all that hard, they had variety In missions and levels, sun shines secret stars and levels were a blast and a huge nostalgia trip.

I go to galaxy and u couldn't even stand doing 1 star. The game is insanely easy. And it's just so linear.. What happened to free roam worlds!? That made mario games fun. Not linearity. At least not to me.

What I mean by this btw, is not the missions themselves (I don't care if the missions are linear. Like In sunshine you couldn't really sequence break missions. You had to do 1,2,3 etc In order) but the worlds. What sounds more fun to you? Exploring a world and finding a star on your own through the one sentence hint/exploration, or following a linear track to the end, then repeating that track and going a bit further or taking a left that you can now take that you were blocked off from before, which negates exploration?

It definitely is the trend they took again.. New super mario bros is a nostalgia trip to the old days, super mario 3D land also is not free roam. And it looks like the wii u game will not be as well.

So I'm asking you all, do you prefer the linearity that is given in the games in the last 7 years and the easier gameplay (I see people saying they died here and here.. But I haven't died ever in either galaxy game) or free roam and the chance to actually die? I know the difficulty thing is something that won't change. Games got more hand held and simplified in the last decade. Personally I blame reviewers that bashed games for not enough hand holding. But that's a topic for another day because I know that on the Nintendo boards causes huge flame wars between retro and new gen gamers.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg
#2friendlydudePosted 6/16/2013 4:52:07 PM(edited)
No flaming here! We're a respectable jolly bunch :)

I grew up with the NES and Super NES games so I'm sort of forced to think the 2D Mario series where you go forward, collect goodies and reach the end is the ultimate way to create the Mario series, however the world is changing, and changing fast. With 3D games, I sort of have to change my outlook and risk looking like a big ol' hypocrite.

You've probably heard the news that Super Mario 3D World isn't going to be the next big super exploration-type game that many people were hoping for. It looks like, judging really early of course since we haven't seen a whole lot yet, that the game won't be what you're looking for either- open world exploration. It's what you want, right? Want it!

What makes the Galaxy series so appealing is that every single level feels drastically different in atmosphere and setting with different obstacles and enemies, so it's an amazing roller coaster ride of variety. Now, are these games open world? The Galaxy series? For the most part... probably not.

What I think would be incredible is to take the idea from Yoshi's Island- 20 red coins, 5 flowers and uh.. what was it, 30 stars? Make the missions with similar requirements in the next 3D Mario game with open worlds, and now what do you have? Perhaps the winning-est formula since.. Yoshi's Island in 3D! BUT! Don't call it Yoshi's Island 3D! Give in to those originality urges and give it an original title!
#3Sparx555Posted 6/16/2013 5:43:01 PM
metroidfreakv4 posted...
But I haven't died ever in either galaxy game)

You barely played the games if you never died... and the first one had secrets everywhere all over the levels... :/
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#4metroidfreakv4(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 1:28:59 AM
Sparx555 posted...
metroidfreakv4 posted...

You barely played the games if you never died... and the first one had secrets everywhere all over the levels... :/

If you really want me to ill go take a screencap of my 120? Stars in super Mario galaxy as Luigi. Game was easy as hell. Haha
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg
#5Rocky2418Posted 6/18/2013 1:59:33 AM
metroidfreakv4 posted...
If you really want me to ill go take a screencap of my 120? Stars in super Mario galaxy as Luigi.

Actually, that's quite impressive, so yes, I would enjoy seeing it. Of course (it should go without saying), I assume you mean that you didn't just reset the game without saving whenever you died, thus keeping the death counter at zero artificially. Just making sure. I had played through the game several times, and then attempted a "low death run." Try for as few deaths as possible, but never reset deaths away. I was very cautious in my run, and when I was finished, I had 7 deaths for Mario and 6 for Luigi. I was quite pleased with that effort. So to actually never slip up and die even once - and based on your feelings toward the game, I assume you hadn't played it into the ground, mastering every little thing beforehand - would be quite a remarkable feat. And if you truly did it without resetting, kudos. But at least realize, then, that your view of game difficulty is way, way off from that of the average gamer - and game designers generally design difficulty around the average gamer...

Either way, you had mentioned that you'd also never died in SMG2. How much of that have you done thus far? All of it? I recently finished my first solo slot in that game (so wasn't as familiar with it as I was with SMG1 in the low death run). My death count was 118 at the end - and only 5 of them came on the insane final level. (Meaning that I died a lot even on the other levels. I think I died about 12 times on the "Stroll Down Rolling Lane" mission alone, thanks to the extremely delicate and precarious controls.) I was actually pretty happy with that death total.

I've heard many games called too easy, even though I haven't always agreed. I don't think think I've heard that said about this game before, so that's a first for me.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#6Sparx555Posted 6/18/2013 3:10:30 PM
metroidfreakv4 posted...
Sparx555 posted...
metroidfreakv4 posted...

If you really want me to ill go take a screencap of my 120? Stars in super Mario galaxy as Luigi. Game was easy as hell. Haha

I mean I agree the game is easy, but you are making me question if you are trolling here or have never played the games. They are quite simply not THAT easy. No one is doing Luigi's/Dreadnought's PC misions, the daredevil runs, etc. all without dying on their first try. Sorry.

And if you really are that good you need to stop complaining about difficulty because these games are not meant for gods.
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#7Rocky2418Posted 6/18/2013 5:11:06 PM
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#8EeqmcsqPosted 6/19/2013 3:20:22 AM
To the original question, I thought the same. I prefer the free-roam exploration style of SM64, and I feel the exact same thing as you do about the "hand holding". SMG and SMG2 give you blatant clues that makes me feel like an idiot who can't think. Some examples off the top of my head:

- I grab a large ? coin, which produces a trail of star bits, which shows me exactly where I should go. Gee, the game doesn't want me to make the wrong jump and die.
- In SMG's Deep Dark Galaxy (the one where you swim underwater to find a ship), there's a giant arrow of star bits telling me I should swim that way. Geez.
- In SMG2's Starshine Beach Galaxy, I'm supposed to find the silver star bits. Cool, this will be fun hunt! I talk to one of the characters in the stage, and he talks about one of the large objects in the stage. The camera pans back to show the large object, and also show me the silver star bit on top. Geez, so much for finding it on my own.
- Also in Starshine Beach, I find an underwater cave, and there's an arrow sign pointing up, showing me a way to the surface. Well, duh.
- "Hidden" stars that aren't really hidden: Just feed the hungry Luma.

I have no idea why the game designers feel it necessary to put in so much to protect the gamer from failure. Isn't that part of the fun, when you succeed after you fail?
#9Mr_Snipe1994Posted 6/19/2013 11:30:24 AM
I couldnt agree with you more. Galaxy is boring because there is no exploration. The central hub in Sunshine was amazing, but gone in Galaxy. Instead youre on a floating space station. The stars can be collected way faster because they are simply too easy to find. When 3d world was announced and I found out it was like galaxy I knew immediately I would never play it.
---
3DS: 0645 5867 4617
#10TendogPosted 6/20/2013 2:09:58 AM
I will admit that Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64's free-roam worlds were more fun than the Galaxies. Linearity is kind of mismatched with 3D gaming. That said, the I still really enjoyed the Galaxies, for a new yet still just as entertaining take on the Mario adventure. The fixed camera was a common nuisance but the designers played with that by hiding secrets just out of the view on the screen. The Galaxies were definitely a different approach than what we were used to, but I think that's what Nintendo wanted to do.

But yeah, I still think SMG 1 and 2 had much too much of the "helping hand" factor going on. What a bummer it is to have the adventure planned out before you even get to explore. Nintendo has done the same with Skyward Sword, more linearity, less challenge, more helping-hands. Even so, SMG2 (which I literally JUST finished) had its moments of crafty difficulty, most especially in The Perfect Run... oh jesus