I'm gonna ask a question, and I want some honest answers from you all..

#21friendlydudePosted 7/21/2013 8:49:13 AM
the answer is, it should not prevent you from enjoying this game. never! so pop this sucker in your Wii and absorb its endless amazement :p
#22Rocky2418Posted 7/22/2013 10:23:26 AM
friendlydude posted...
For example the flying goombas in Super Mario Bros. 3. The first time I encountered him I had NO idea he was actually going to lift off the ground and fly in the air before I had a chance to stomp on his head!

Coincidentally, you're in good company. Jimmy Woods (The Wizard) died at just such an enemy, probably also due to playing the game for the first time. And, well, he was the wizard - he freaking won the video game tournament and its $50000 prize. (If you don't know this reference and haven't seen the movie... For shame...)

It's amazing so many gamers are able to figure out what to do before it happens. It's like figuring out a crossword puzzle answer before reading the question!

Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe in real life. As opposed to a scripted movie, as just moments after the aforementioned part of The Wizard, he proceeds to fly up to the off-screen space in the first mini-castle and gets the warp whistle, his first time playing or knowing anything about the game. Yeah... But in real life, not so much.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#23Lynx_7Posted 7/24/2013 1:16:44 AM(edited)
I understand where you're coming from, but I liked Galaxy's approach better than M64 or Sunshine. (I was never a big fan of M64 and Sunshine to be honest, though I do admit the former has been growing on me lately)
In fact, MG1 and 2 may just be my favourite Mario games because of the cheer amount of creative level designs, variety and challenges. I'm currently replaying M64 to get all 120 stars and it just doesn't feel quite as fun to me. The power ups are honestly not very good (I specially dislike the flying cap, it's just so damn frustrating to control) and there are only 3 of them, many of the stars are tiresome to collect, some levels are just boring and since there aren't many to begin with you're gonna have to replay the same stages over and over again, there are way too few bosses, and it just doesn't offer many platform-ish challenges, since most of the time you're walking around trying to figure out your objective. In M64 I think there is quite a lot of downtime while in Galaxy 1 and 2 they constantly throw new and interesting things at you, it rarely feels dull and overall just seems like better designed games.

I guess I prefer my platformers to be more diversified, focused on design, with fun courses and tight challenges rather than being open-world. Not coincidentally, the Bowser stages were my favourite of M64 because of their tighter focus on platforming, while still maintaining some level of exploration with the red coins. I feel like this "looking around exploring" stuff works better for games like Zelda, where there is a big, cohesive world and it feels more like an actual adventure.
Now, I'm not saying open world is inherently bad for a platformer, quite the contrary since I really like the Boo Mansion level of M64 for example, but they should be really well designed and interspersed with the linear ones. Future Mario games could certainly borrow a thing or two from M64.

I guess the perfect 3D Mario game for me would be a mix of Galaxy and 64. A huge hub with secret levels for you to find (it certainly adds to the novelty compared to a simple "level-select" screen) just like Peach's Castle and Delfino Island, worlds with the same inventiveness as the ones in Galaxy 1 and 2, a "grand" feeling with orchestrated OST like the Galaxy games, and some open-world levels with the same or superior quality to the best ones in M64. I don't think 3D world will meet those requirements, but there is always a possibility for the future.
#24Rocky2418Posted 7/26/2013 7:21:58 PM
Lynx_7 posted...
In fact, MG1 and 2 may just be my favourite Mario games because of the cheer amount of creative level designs, variety and challenges. I'm currently replaying M64 to get all 120 stars and it just doesn't feel quite as fun to me.

That's actually exactly how I feel. Mario 64, while a good game, just isn't as much fun as the Galaxies to me. A prime example is the 100 coin star in Tick Tock Clock - it is just so unpleasant for me. With Sunshine, the way the blue coins were handled was frustrating. It was basically a given that you'd need a guide to find a bunch of them, and while doing so, it was difficult to remember exactly which ones you'd already gotten - and a bunch of them (such as in Noki Bay) were in locations difficult to differentiate from each other, while consulting a guide for the missing ones.

I guess I prefer my platformers to be more diversified, focused on design, with fun courses and tight challenges rather than being open-world.

And again, same for me. But I too still enjoy some of the open-world aspects of 64 and Sunshine, and wouldn't mind a mix of the two styles.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#25xdiesp6Posted 7/27/2013 1:35:25 AM
It's all fine and dandy, attacking Mario Galaxy's linearity, because that can not be good or bad by itself. Somebody else taught you that non-linearity is better, while it's just another system.

But you should consider that, first, all games now support that system of open world with light platforming: you would just put something in Mario, which not really that special anymore. And consider that, second, galaxies with secret stars (feeding stars, etc) are already non linear.
#26friendlydudePosted 7/27/2013 8:21:23 AM(edited)
Lynx_7, you are 100% right! Everything you said. We've actually reached a point where Mario has to be somewhat open world to survive I think (keep in mind I believe several of the stages in the Galaxy series are open world, at least the first one).

The 2D side scrolling isn't really working for me anymore since these New Super Mario Bros. games feel way too much like the same thing. Not bad games though, just a feeling of "been there, done that". However strictly open world exploration would get boring after a while too, which is why several portions of the stages in Super Mario 64 feel empty and boring. Galaxy combines both linear and open world *and* does everything that Lynx_7 explains well.

And yeah, I get that same feeling open world exploring is more suitable for Zelda too. This is probably because I grew up with the older NES and Super NES consoles and used to make a clear distinction between Zelda ad Mario.

The one stage in Super Mario 64 that really stinks to me is that one underground stage where you have to jump on the moving poles without falling off and collect the red coins. This is SO tedious and overlong. Damn you Nintendo for thinking a stage like this is good enough to release to the public. The ghost house is *awesome* though. All 100-coin stages feel like a poor attempt at making gamers discover everything a stage has to offer for the purpose of getting another star. I don't really care for this approach.

Oh yeah, I saw the Wizard. I finally watched it this January. It's really good! I couldn't go another year missing out on a movie designed for anyone (probably all of us) with a powerful love and addiction for video games. :)