Challenging myself: starting each stage with zero clues on what to do

#1EeqmcsqPosted 6/19/2013 1:52:30 AM
I've been out of gaming for quite some time. I haven't played a Mario game since SM64. I recently bought a Wii, SMG, and SMG2 to catch up. As of right now, I finished SMG and I'm currently in the middle of SMG2's World 5.

While I feel that both games are pretty good, I feel like the game designers are "babying"and "spoon feeding" me as a game player. They put arrows to show me exactly where to go. They put star bits or coins that tell me where to jump. They even give me a preview on what's at the end of the stage, so by the time I get there, I know I'm at the end, and it's no surprise. The sense of exploration and thrill of discovery is sorely lacking.

Midway through SMG2's World 4, I got so fed up with this, I decided to challenge myself - I decided to start a star mission without seeing the mission title and preview. Here's how I do it:

- Before I select a galaxy, I take off my glasses, so everything is a blur, and I can't read anything on the TV.
- I select the star I want to play, but since everything's a blur, I can't read the mission title.
- Very quickly, I close my eyes or look away, thus completely avoiding the mission title and the preview.
- I keep my eyes closed while Mario is flying in, also avoiding the "overview" angle of the stage as Mario flies in.
- After Mario lands, then I open my eyes. Now I have no clue what I'm supposed to do, and I get to figure that out on my own. Now that's FUN!

Since then, I've finished World 4, plus a few prankster comets in various other stages, and I'm now in World 5, starting each stage wih zero clues on what to do. And I feel like there's an extra level of mystery and suspense that I hadn't felt when playing the previous stages: Am I near the star? Which comet challenge will I face? Is there a boss coming up? I only wish I had thought of this when I was playing SMG, so I can experience it in that game too.

So if this is your first time through SMG or SMG2, try starting each stage without any clues on what to do.
#2Rocky2418Posted 6/19/2013 11:46:53 AM
Huh, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. Sounds like you'll get more of what you're looking for that way, so have fun with the last half of the game!
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#3Sparx555Posted 6/19/2013 5:11:05 PM
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. XD
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#4friendlydudePosted 6/21/2013 2:26:55 PM
Good idea, but I probably would have just closed my eyes after selecting a stage. Then again my eyes are so blurry due to years of smacking my head against the side of the wall your way would work too :p
#5Eeqmcsq(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2013 12:37:28 AM
Yeah, closing my eyes is pretty much what I did after I posted the original comment.

And I did have a lot of fun with the rest of the game, especially the extra challenge that comes after beating the game with 120 stars. That was waaay fun, and exactly the way I wanted to play the game - almost no clues or hints, you're on your own! That brought back the old school gamer in me. :D