Green Star General Tips and Rules

#1CanWizardPosted 7/4/2013 7:35:50 AM
Hi board people,

I am hoping for some tips on finding green stars. All of the faqs I've checked just list where they are and I would prefer to find them myself... with a few general tips to guide me.

From my own experience finding the green stars in the first two worlds and the hints I gathered from searching 'green stars' on this message board I've figured out that some good tips for finding stars include:

-playing as Luigi to jump higher
-wearing headphones to listen for the audio cue the stars make
-watching the level overview/previews and paying attention whenever launch stars shift the camera
-shifting the camera a lot myself and when i can't do that, jumping around to move the camera
-looking over ledges and edges of levels

Are there any more general tips like these that I should know about?

I've also teased out a few 'rules' for green star placement, like how they appear in the order listed on the level select screen (except for when they are in different instances of a level) but I have more questions than answers on this front. So far I don't believe there have been green stars on 'new planets' created by coin lumas and accessed by pink launch stars. Can I rule these out of my search? I've also never found green stars in those 'bonus rooms' some warp pipes go too, or in those 'bonus areas' that those blue warp pad thingies go to. Can these also be ruled out? Are there any other rules for green star placement I don't know about?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm really looking forward to finding the rest of these green stars. I'm super excited!
#2Sparx555Posted 7/5/2013 4:54:04 PM
There are no Green Stars in bonus areas you get to from pipes/warp pads, however there are occasionally Green Stars in Coin Luma planets (there's actually one in World 1 in Fluffy Bluff Galaxy).

As for other general tips, what can help for the occasional annoying "jump off this legde and hopefully you get the green star as you fall" type challenge is the homing ground pound; if you ground pound in the middle of a spin jump you do a homing ground pound that will automatically move onto things nearby while moving down, like enemies or Green Stars. Other than that you listed everything I can think of though. :p
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#3Rocky2418Posted 7/6/2013 9:24:49 AM
Wow, the homing ground pound works on stars? I would have never guessed or tried that. I thought it was only designed for use on enemies. That's good to know for the next time I play through this, and a great tip.

By the way, your comment about hopefully you'll get it, or you'll fall to your death, reminded me of the picture and caption at the top of this web page (probably shouldn't look at it, TC, as it shows the location of a green star):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#4Sparx555Posted 7/6/2013 11:12:07 AM
I actually liked that star. Maybe because I thought it was clever because it took me about 10 minutes or so to realize I was supposed to fall up from the bottom of the planet and not jump to it from the top. That and it only took me one or two tries to get once I figured it out, there was a star in Supermassive I thought was a lot worse.

>___>
---
Lots of ranting and stupidity: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/922345-Sparx's_Awesome_Rant/64829504
#5Rocky2418Posted 7/6/2013 2:39:51 PM
Oh, I definitely liked it too - at least the concept, and figuring it out. But considering how little of a gauge there was to tell how far out it was (depth, etc.), it was a bit cruel to combine that with the "die if you miss" mechanic. :-)
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#6friendlydudePosted 7/7/2013 6:23:59 AM
wearing headphones to listen for the audio cue the stars make

I wouldn't say you have to wear headphones since I can make out that "star twinkle" sound a green star makes with ease.

watching the level overview/previews and paying attention whenever launch stars shift the camera

I recommend NOT watching that! It gives away too much information sometimes!

shifting the camera a lot myself and when i can't do that, jumping around to move the camera

Yes! Definitely do this as much as you can.

looking over ledges and edges of levels

It's dangerous but yeah, pretty much what you have to do sometimes (shift camera while doing this just to be safe).

So far I don't believe there have been green stars on 'new planets' created by coin lumas and accessed by pink launch stars. Can I rule these out of my search? I've also never found green stars in those 'bonus rooms' some warp pipes go too, or in those 'bonus areas' that those blue warp pad thingies go to. Can these also be ruled out?

Yeah you can rule those out.

the homing ground pound; if you ground pound in the middle of a spin jump you do a homing ground pound that will automatically move onto things nearby while moving down, like enemies or Green Stars

What the... how did I not know this? At all! Never even thought about it! Actually I didn't realize the ground pound was automatically moving onto nearby things. It looked like Mario could have been, but... I concluded that I was just imagining things. :)
#7Sparx555Posted 7/7/2013 11:30:05 AM
Sparx555 posted...
There are no Green Stars in bonus areas you get to from pipes/warp pads, however there are occasionally Green Stars in Coin Luma planets (there's actually one in World 1 in Fluffy Bluff Galaxy).

...I only just remembered that there isn't a Green Star there. >_<
---