Story Analysis: Why Other M Fails to Deliver. (SPOILERS)

#441Distortoise(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2010 9:51:57 AM
Actually, a lot of the posts in this thread remind me of this: http://plover.net/~bonds/stupidresponses.html

Bookmarking that.

Though I'm also inclined to think you're insane based on the fact that you're still trying to argue your point 400+ posts later on GameFAQs

Honestly, I do too. But it does have it's value; in regards to changing standards in gaming, you won't really accomplish that with big publications (like, say, Ebert's article) but rather through gradual, small scale discussions like this topic. I'm not going to change the standards; but it's worth the time to make my own little contributions here and there.

And gaming is growing as a higher standard medium. Over the last decade, you can definitely see the gradual sophistication of games as an immersive, storytelling medium on top of it's growing gameplay possibilities.
---
http://alangrantdesign.com
#442ToozinPosted 9/17/2010 11:29:48 AM
For the record, my girlfriend who suffers from PTSD informs me that it never really goes away, and that it can seemingly randomly pop up even if it appears you 'got over it', making the Ridley scene plausable with the condition and still consistant with past encounters. That still doesn't make the scene any less ill-conceived or the plot any less horrible, but there you have it.
#443JoeBudden42Posted 9/17/2010 12:50:45 PM
im glad i didnt read all this stuff on this game before i played it... if i read this before hand i wouldnt have even picked it up, but i read nothing negative before hand, played it, and really liked it.
#444AbyssMaster91Posted 9/17/2010 3:10:47 PM
Toozin:

Well, in Samus' case she hasn't only NOT had a problem facing Ridley, she's pounded him around to the point where she should be saying "aw man, AGAIN?" and not "it can't be wah wah". I don't think people with PTSD usually confront their "demons" as often, and as thoroughly, as Samus does. You'll have to leave behind all rational thinking, delve into the most random, inexplicable and mind-numbing corners of the human brain to rationalize her behavior in that scene.

If it's a personality disorder then it's too convoluted and illogical to be properly explained. If it's not then it's a personality retcon.
#445BowserZeroPosted 9/17/2010 3:18:52 PM
ITT: 444+ Responses over some Metroid Game from a guy who addresses why Other M Fails to deliver.

[ Explodes. ]

---
> . Let the angels scream, may the Devil Cry.
#446Thanatos2kPosted 9/17/2010 4:12:05 PM
im glad i didnt read all this stuff on this game before i played it... if i read this before hand i wouldnt have even picked it up, but i read nothing negative before hand, played it, and really liked it.

Ignorance is bliss.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#447GreenHeroofTimePosted 9/18/2010 8:09:44 PM
I actually like this game, but yeah i agree 100% with the TC.
Let's hope this is the last time metroid focuses on story.
---
Don't read my sig. Just don't.
#448Major GamerPosted 9/18/2010 8:29:07 PM

I actually like this game, but yeah i agree 100% with the TC.
Let's hope this is the last time metroid focuses on story.

Focusing on the story itself isn't the problem. The story being terrible is what screwed the game up.
---
My life for an edit button.
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#449aieieiPosted 9/19/2010 4:26:36 AM
The TC made a very good work, and I think he should work as a writer.

Anyway, I don't think this kind of topic can receive the sticky.

Indeed, I have never seen a sticky for a topic in which the TC depict the game as a bad game, or for a topic in which the purpose is to express some criticism about said game, even if the criticism is very well written and deep.

Maybe the sticky, for its own nature and purpose, simply can not be applied to topics like this one.
#450ZeroX2010Posted 9/19/2010 5:06:29 AM
Glad to see I got some feedback from my question about PTSD. Samus' panic attack can seem justifiable, though, as I said before, she never showed any signs of it in previous games (ZM being a possible exception).

---
I think man is the most interesting insect, don't you? - Marvin the Martian