How many of you genuinely think the next game will be good?

#1Louis2292Posted 8/16/2012 1:31:13 PM
Because I actually think the next Metroid game will be excellent. You know why? Because Nintendo pretty much cornered itself. They're stuck in a tight spot and failure with the WiiU would be a fatal blow to the company. I expect Nintendo to acknowledge the precarious situation they are in right now and truly analyse what they've done wrong.

And considering how it appears that they handed the development of the new Metroid game back to Retro, we can at least be at peace with the fact that they seem to be taking this seriously.

I get the feeling that they are not gambling with Metroid anymore, like they did before by letting Sakamoto's arrogance run loose, or by putting freaking Team Ninja in charge of a game series inherently incompatible with them.

I think they are actually sulking over the mess that was Other M, I think that M:OM was an extremely important game because it was a turning point not only for Metroid, but for Nintendo. I say this because Other M was Sakamoto's imposition of his own ridiculous vision of the series on the entire Metroid fandom. And it flopped, it flopped hard. It flopped to the point of scaring away fans that had been with them since the very beginning. It broke apart the community and quite frankly it just killed the series.

Other M's failure was Sakamoto's failure, and it gave Nintendo a strong message that games are nothing if there are no gamers supporting them. With M:OM, they decided to ignore the fans and instead listen to the voice of a conceited diva that wasn't open to constructive criticism. And I don't think that's a mistake they'll make ever again.

So yes, I think the next Metroid game will be absolutely incredible because they should have learned by now (or so I hope), that our opinion, and not Sakamoto's, is what matters.

And also because they really have no choice but to succeed. They must succeed with Metroid. And Pikmin, and the WiiU. Or they will simply become irrelevant and continue withering away.
#2Fang289Posted 8/16/2012 1:59:06 PM
Tough to say. God knows what happened to Sakamoto when his superiors got wind of how Other M did.

Louis2292 posted...
And considering how it appears that they handed the development of the new Metroid game back to Retro, we can at least be at peace with the fact that they seem to be taking this seriously.

Wait, what? I don't remember hearing this.
---
And that Mother Brain is all "LASERZZZZ!!!!! ROCKETZZZZZ!!!!! MOUTH GRENADEZZZZZ!!!!!! ~Diorte
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ox61VlL61qi2j4o.gif
#3Louis2292(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 4:07:47 PM
Fang289 posted...
Wait, what? I don't remember hearing this.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/26/wii-u-rumors-metroid-ure3-vod-services-andorid-os/

They're just wild rumours but I want to believe.
#4Rambler_OnePosted 8/16/2012 5:15:45 PM
Fang289 posted...
Tough to say. God knows what happened to Sakamoto when his superiors got wind of how Other M did.

Maybe he got Yu Suzuki-ed.

You know. "Promoted" to a position where he has no creative input.
#5SmallerRidleyPosted 8/16/2012 6:41:08 PM
Depends if they can realize what Other M did right out of all the stuff it could've done a lot better.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit.
#6Fang289Posted 8/16/2012 6:51:16 PM
Oh my GOD, SmallerRidley.

It's like a blast from the past...
---
And that Mother Brain is all "LASERZZZZ!!!!! ROCKETZZZZZ!!!!! MOUTH GRENADEZZZZZ!!!!!! ~Diorte
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ox61VlL61qi2j4o.gif
#7SmallerRidleyPosted 8/16/2012 6:52:53 PM
More like a power missile from the past! Haha!
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit.
#8IfenoPosted 8/16/2012 7:27:02 PM
Yeah. Sure they had one game that wasn't as big of a success as all the others. So they experimented. Prime was an experiment. Prime as a huge success. Some experiments are good, others are not. I see no reason why the next game should be bad, it has just as big of a chance at being good as all of it's predecessors have had so far.
---
~Ifeno - The Wandering Merchant~
Proud to be an OG of the Original Shiny Pokemon Guild. Shiny Guild trades: 7 Sol Dollars: 14
#9P4wn4g3Posted 8/16/2012 7:35:46 PM
Well for one thing, Nintendo has a very commited fan base anyway. For another, they have the support of the Japanese culture, though I can't say if they have a stronger presence there than anyone else does. They have Mario, Zelda, and a bunch of popular 2nd party stuff like Kirby, Pokemon, and Smash Bros. They have taken over the family gaming industry. They dominate the handheld market because nobody else knows how to make one, albeit mobile devices will probably take over that market. And many, many smaller consumer based companies have given their loyal customers the finger and opted for sales, and gotten away with it just fine (making a nice profit, thus expanding their methods in the process). So please explain to me again why Nintendo has to change their strategy in order to survive.

It's hard to say whether the next game will be good. If Nintendo turns around, maybe. If they don't, probably not. There isn't much to say that there will be a next game anyway. I assume there will be, but they are too embarrased or too apathetic to do bring it up at press conferences, and it's more likely to me that it just isn't a priority for them.
---
~(Certified Topic Killer)~
~Rank: Platinum (100% topic killing efficiency)
#10Hawke0Posted 8/16/2012 7:39:04 PM
Well, Nintendo may be losing money this year, but I don't think you have any idea just how much money they're sitting on after the success of the Wii and DS. I don't believe this, but some have speculated they have enough money to make it through one bad console generation. Probably not, but it doesn't need to be a giant success for them to stay afloat. And there's the fact they own the handheld market. Sony handhelds are a joke.
Hey, you can have dumbed down versions of console franchises and pay huge amounts of money for overpriced tech!
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316-name Hawke